aberdeen-music

Formula 1 2008

Lemonade

Well, 1 race down, thoughts/opinions?

Pretty masterful drive from Hamilton, though the first race is always misleading as there are always, always reliabilty issues in the first race and drivers from lower on the grid end up on the podium, and this was no exception. I don't think for a second that Ferrari are going to be that gash in every race. Still, can't take anything away from Lewis, he didn't put a wheel wrong all weekend. Definitely a future world champion.

The new rules look certain to make things more interesting, the abolotion of driver aids meaning it's a lot more up to the driver than the car. It's no conincidence in my opinion that the racing starting getting boring when they brought in traction control etc. in 2002. Now we'll see good driving being rewarded and mistakes being punished so there's a lot more pressure on the drivers, which is as it should be, they're only the best drivers in the world for chrissakes. People who makes loads of mistakes will be found out as they won't have the car sorting out their fuck ups for them and it'll be gravel traps ahoy for the more untidy drivers like Massa. 3 street races this year which are pretty unfrgiving, there's no run off areas, just walls and barriers.

I got Alonso in the sweeper so I'm going to be supporting him this season. 100 back if he wins. Tho the Renault looks really slow this year, and BMW and Red Bull are catching up so I think he'll struggle in the middle of the pack. Plus Honda and Toyota might up their game a bit this year. Me, I'm still a Button fan myself, and not forgetting DC. "If he doesn't accept responsibilty I'm going to kick three colours of shit out of the little bastard". Quality.

Brilliant race, can't remember the last time a dry race ended with only 6 cars. Getting rid of driver aids is a great decision.

I reckon Red Bull and Torro Rosso will pull of a few surprises this year. Honda are still in bad shape and are going to take another season to get themselves together I think. Mclaren will win the title though, Ferrari 2nd with BMW third.

I don't get that stupid new rule about not being allowed to refill under a safety car. Barrichello was left with two options

1 - Refuel and get black flagged

2 - Run out of fuel.

It's not like he could have predicted the safety car...

I don't think he was black flagged for the refuelling - he got a 10 second penalty for that. He was booted out for going through a red light coming out the pit lane.

I don't get that stupid new rule about not being allowed to refill under a safety car. Barrichello was left with two options

1 - Refuel and get black flagged

2 - Run out of fuel.

It's not like he could have predicted the safety car...

they introduced that rule last year, and you can refuel under the safety car, you just have to wait to be given the all clear to go into the pit lane.

And you also can't leave the pit lane when the safety car is on the start finish straight, as you'll emerge into a big queue of cars. That's why Barricello was black flagged.

See BBC have got the rights for F1 from next season, good stuff. No more fucking adverts in the middle of races.

Hope they keep Brundle.

And get rid of James Allen, or at least put him back to the pits where he belongs. Anywhere except the commentary box.

BTW did anyone see the preview thing for the new season a few weeks ago? They had a terrible, terrible feature on Ferrari going skiing to celebrate their win last year. It was "presented" by Tamara Ecclestone, wonder how she got that job then...

Hopefully it'll be the last we see of her anyway, she was fucking awful at it.

The adverts are annoying but ITV have done a lot to glamourise the image of F1 in Britain. Back in Murray Walker's days on BBC 2 it was a bit of an anorak sport. It's all young and cool now. Though a lot less people watch it, but that's probably due to the fact that it's nowhere near as exciting as it used to be. I remember when F1 used to be edge of the seat stuff for the whole race, it's quite common for me to fall asleep during it nowadays.

They should let Christopher Biggins do the commentary. That would be funny. Seriously though, who else can they get but James Allan. British F1 drivers are typicaly dull as fuck. Damon Hill? Nigel Mansell? There was a guy they used to have who was fucking murder. I heard him doing F3 or something a while ago. Jonathan something? Or Tony Jardine. He was just fucking creepy. I still have nightmares about his crinkly skin.

They better bring back the old theme tune :up:

Good to hear they're keeping Brundle, his grid walk is the best part of the coverage.

ITV have done quite a good job though, apart from the ads their coverage has been good (better than most ITV sports coverage) and they give more time to race build up than the beeb used to.

Lousie Goodman is OK.

Louise is rubbish... worse still i notice one of eccelstones offspring doing a bit of similar work...

There's speculation that Coulthard could get involved, after retiring at teh end of the season.

frankly i hope he doesnt retire for a bit, i think he is doing a pretty good job where he is...

Most importantly, will "The Chain" return?

ha, bet you dont remember the dodgy sinclair spectrum overlay titles bbc used to run in the 80's, they looked shit in the 80's, look comical now... i have an old tape of them kicking about somewhere...

i used to go racing at boyndie (national kart) they used to play the chain to spectators at the begining of some finals.... the locals got used to it, drivers from further afeild were somewhat bemused...

Well that was a yawn fest yesterday, not really worth getting up at 6.30 for on a Sunday but there you go. I lost the rag with James Allen about halfway through the race and put on 5 Lives commentary. All the way through the race Allen was "Hamilton! Hamilton! Hamilton!" and whenever anything of note happened it was "great news / bad news for Lewis Hamilton" like the entire race was about him, when actually he was running 6th and not doing anything of note, it was still all he talked about. I actually like Hamilton but I was willing him to crash out yesterday just to fucking shut James Allan up, jesus, why doesn't he just go ask if he can give him head?

Yeah yesterday's race was pretty boring.

There's one thing James Allen always does that really, really annoys me. It's when he can't think of anything to say and it cuts to an in car camera so he just says "lets ride along with him for now" and shuts up. So you get silence for ages because he's such a clueless donkey that he can't think of anything interesting to talk about while the camera's in car. Twat.

Well that was a yawn fest yesterday, not really worth getting up at 6.30 for on a Sunday but there you go. I lost the rag with James Allen about halfway through the race and put on 5 Lives commentary. All the way through the race Allen was "Hamilton! Hamilton! Hamilton!" and whenever anything of note happened it was "great news / bad news for Lewis Hamilton" like the entire race was about him, when actually he was running 6th and not doing anything of note, it was still all he talked about. I actually like Hamilton but I was willing him to crash out yesterday just to fucking shut James Allan up, jesus, why doesn't he just go ask if he can give him head?

dont want to be seen to be xenophobic, but.... what james allen does, and btw it pisses me off more than you, a lot of english f1 commentators have done through the years. (btw i note at one point last week blundell pointed out that hamilton winning the world championship this year was inevitable)

for some reason commentators think the only reason we watch f1 is to see an english/ british driver give johnny foreigner what for. the english press will very quickly raise the profile of any english driver, raise the expectation and then swiftly seek to destroy them the moment they dont perform... hill being a good example.

like you i wish hamilton well, but equally i am sick of hearing about him.

a good anecdote focuses on john watson in zolder in '82 or 83. both he and lauda qualified on the back row of the grid because the team - mclaren - didnt manage to have cars prepared for friday qauls and on saturday it rained.

so, according to murray, IRISH man john watson started the race from the back row. as the race progressed and john watson made it through the field to about tenth, midway through the race, he promptly became BRITISH. finally, when he won murray walker celebrated ENGLISH man john watson superb victory....

so, according to murray, IRISH man john watson started the race from the back row. as the race progressed and john watson made it through the field to about tenth, midway through the race, he promptly became BRITISH. finally, when he won murray walker celebrated ENGLISH man john watson superb victory....

Its the same story all the time in sports...if they are losing they are Irish or Scottish or even Welsh...if they are winning they are BrItIsH...

FUCK OFF!

8-)

Its the same story all the time in sports...if they are losing they are Irish or Scottish or even Welsh...if they are winning they are BrItIsH...

FUCK OFF!

8-)

And if they are English, they are British if they lose and English if they win, why does it always sound like the English Media have an inferiority complex??