aberdeen-music

Gym Membership

RossP

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nuffield Health website is the most unhelpful piece of shit ever. Oh it looks nice but can you find out anything resembling prices. Can you fuck.

I've managed to find out from it they do, do a Student deal however looks like I'd have to go on a tour to find out about there deals.

Screw that if it's going to be more than 25 a month they can go spit. So I don't want to go on a tour of the damn place just to get round and go no. Whereas I could just learn from here in my comfy chair If or if not I wanted to join.

I use the Beach Leisure centre. No membership, you just pay 5 a time, so if you're only going once or twice a week like me it's probably better value, plus if you don't go for a while you don't end up paying for something you're not using.

The gym is quite small but it's well equipped, they have everything you need for a really good workout, and it's virtually empty all the time. If you go in after 7pm you'll find there's only about 5 people there.

It's got about 10 treadmills, heaps of cross trainers, heaps of bikes, those climbing things, 2 rowing machines, free weights and bars for bench pressing, curling etc, and all the different weights machines for arms, chest, back, legs. Plus sauna, steam room, personal trainers etc. The pool is pretty shit though.

This doesn't explain why I'm still built like a potato man with cocktails sticks for arms and legs though.

What's wrong with:

Lifting weights at home.

Press-ups and crunches at home.

A run along the beach front or a city street.

Walking regularly rather than driving or getting the bus.

I guess there's the whole distractions thing but that's what motivation is all about.

I require a squat rack, olympic bar, bench press, weights for bench/bar, chin up bar and free weight dumb bells.

Sadly I can't fit that in my room.

As for Nuffield 45 for off peak is still ridiculous in my opinion. I can get 4 months for that at the uni gym. But as im not in uni that much in this semester I would have liked Nuffield for location.

What's wrong with:

Lifting weights at home.

I guess there's the whole distractions thing but that's what motivation is all about.

If you're a fatty, the added weight whilst running on concrete can give you shin splints which are painful and take a few days to shake off before you can run again. Push ups and crunches useless to me as they're for toning. No point putting effort in to toning my abs when they are covered with a years worth of fried chicken and sausage rolls :up:

I guess, if I had the gear, I'd prefer to lift weights at home so the rest of the world can't see how puny my strength is.

Since cancelling the Gym, I'll probably buy a bike at some point and cycle to real places instead of cycling nowhere. Bikes are ace. I love pulling skids in the mud and gravel.

I require a squat rack, olympic bar, bench press, weights for bench/bar, chin up bar and free weight dumb bells.

Sadly I can't fit that in my room.

As for Nuffield 45 for off peak is still ridiculous in my opinion. I can get 4 months for that at the uni gym. But as im not in uni that much in this semester I would have liked Nuffield for location.

Why? Are you an athlete? You'll do your body more harm than good in the long-term, believe me.

If you're a fatty, the added weight whilst running on concrete can give you shin splints which are painful and take a few days to shake off before you can run again. Push ups and crunches useless to me as they're for toning. No point putting effort in to toning my abs when they are covered with a years worth of fried chicken and sausage rolls :up:

I guess, if I had the gear, I'd prefer to lift weights at home so the rest of the world can't see how puny my strength is.

Since cancelling the Gym, I'll probably buy a bike at some point and cycle to real places instead of cycling nowhere. Bikes are ace. I love pulling skids in the mud and gravel.

I get shin splints when I run, but I think it's because I don't own a proper pair of athletic trainers, and generally run in these platform-looking motherfuckers, or a really wrecked old pair of K-Swiss.

AAAAAuwnrOYAAAAAABh1Eg.jpg.

That's garbage. If you were taught how to do it properly then it does you no harm, only good.

Also need a cross trainer and I really can't fit one of those in my room.

Incorrect. Studies have proven that intense fitness regimes over extended periods of time can cause long-term problems on joints and your spine regardless. Moderation is the key.

What can you do on a cross trainer that you can't do running on the beach for less impact or hill running.

There's far too much emphasis on people going to the gym posing these days and not enough quality exercise that's actually good for you.

Incorrect. Studies have proven that intense fitness regimes over extended periods of time can cause long-term problems on joints and your spine regardless. Moderation is the key.

What can you do on a cross trainer that you can't do running on the beach for less impact or hill running.

There's far too much emphasis on people going to the gym posing these days and not enough quality exercise that's actually good for you.

So after telling me that I'll do more harm. You're now telling me that moderation is the key. So 3 times a week doing these exercises isn't moderate? That's a day and a half recovery before going back each time.

Don't say believe me I've read a study. There are studies for everything these days I've not felt any ill effects from working out like this so I'll do as I please and I don't need you giving me your holier than thou opinion.

I got taught how to do these exercises properly and I give my body plenty revcovery time so thanks for your concern but I'll be fine.

So after telling me that I'll do more harm. You're now telling me that moderation is the key. So 3 times a week doing these exercises isn't moderate? That's a day and a half recovery before going back each time.

Don't say believe me I've read a study. There are studies for everything these days I've not felt any ill effects from working out like this so I'll do as I please and I don't need you giving me your holier than thou opinion.

I got taught how to do these exercises properly and I give my body plenty revcovery time so thanks for your concern but I'll be fine.

Ooooooh, touchy!

I'm not meaning feeling ill effects now. Report back in 20 years time when you're hobbling around on a stick ;)

There's no "holier than though opinion", just my opinion on the way people view exercise these days.

What's wrong with:

Lifting weights at home.

Nothing - I did all this for a good couple of years when I had financial issues to sort after my break-up & by the end of that period, I had increased my intake of certain medication & was plagued by more frequent, nagging minor injuries that were easily attributable to over repitition of certain activities. Tended to cycle rather than run though, old motorbike injury makes running, esp on hard surfaces inadvisable. Even in the gym, I use cross trainers, not treadmills.

When I got things sorted two years back, the first & only treat to myself (not quite out of the woods yet) was to renew a gym membership. Since then, things have improved greatly healthwise & although I do occasionally strain things a little, the sheer variety of activity there means I have yet to suffer any of the same injuries again.

Then there is the little matter of motivation - Gyms do help that IMO.

I was being told to get used to being a cripple back in 97 at the end of a prolonged period of surgical trauma. Couldn't climb two flights of stairs without a pause. I joined a gym instead & got a lot of qualified advice on how to go forward.

For the most part of the time since, I have presented no symptoms of nor even any form of detectable signs of the chronic illness I was diagnosed with.

The only time things began to be detected again was when I had to stop using the gym regularly. Since returning, my metabolism seems to be pretty-much resolutely normal.

Even with the long term risks of injury from overdoing it, going to the gym is far better than the near certainty of serious complications from my condition - Delaying that as long as possible is of some importance! :)

I was being told to get used to being a cripple back in 97 at the end of a prolonged period of surgical trauma. Couldn't climb two flights of stairs without a pause. I joined a gym instead & got a lot of qualified advice on how to go forward.

For the most part of the time since, I have presented no symptoms of nor even any form of detectable signs of the chronic illness I was diagnosed with.

The only time things began to be detected again was when I had to stop using the gym regularly. Since returning, my metabolism seems to be pretty-much resolutely normal.

Even with the long term risks of injury from overdoing it, going to the gym is far better than the near certainty of serious complications from my condition - Delaying that as long as possible is of some importance! :)

I'm not completely anti-gym. I just think a lot of people don't use advice and go about the whole thing the wrong way.

Glad it's helped your quality of life though :)

I've been told it's all about wide grip chin-ups.

Awesome. Thanks very much.

Any idea if that would be effective for the deltoids as well? I'm going away for a bit and not willing to pay for temporary gym membership.