aberdeen-music

[GIG] Stars Of The Lid (Kranky) + Remember Remember (Rock Action) + Glissando (Gizeh)

The best gig i've ever attended.

Glissando seemed like the sweetest people ever.

Remember Remember was a million times better than supporting Max Richter. The two additions definitely helped. How good was Fountain Mountain? Also, best way to finish a set!

SotL...gah...i'm not even going to try. For most of it i forgot i was in Aberdeen.

Absolutely gutted it's over.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best gig i've ever attended.

Glissando seemed like the sweetest people ever.

Remember Remember was a million times better than supporting Max Richter. The two additions definitely helped. How good was Fountain Mountain? Also, best way to finish a set!

SotL...gah...i'm not even going to try. For most of it i forgot i was in Aberdeen.

Absolutely gutted it's over.

Like trying to sum up the Boredoms show, it is almost impossible to convey how totally magical SoTL were last night & the two supports were perfect. I just wish i could have been seated downstairs & relaxed the whole night to fully absorb how good that was.

Guest idol_wild

Glissando should rename themselves Blissando. So hauntingly beautiful and sincere. It was an absolute privilege to witness their set.

Remember Remember were massively engaging. I would love to see them again. Creating looped rhythmic patterns with staplers, cigarette lighters, and scissors is not something you see very often.

Stars of the Lid were very good, though I found it hard to concentrate for their full set. But there is always the danger of that when dealing with that form of music.

Well done to IMP for creating an excellent environment for these musicians to play, too. It was serene.

Guest idol_wild
I knew you would love Remember Remember.

PS. Are you playing down here on Monday? Was doing a poster run today and i'm sure i saw your name on a poster.

As in Kartta? Not that I am aware of!

Next Glasgow show for Kartta is Wednesday 18th June at 13th Note.

Oh my god that gig was great. It sent me into a rapturous giddy height of euphoric ambiance.

Glissando were pretty good, the lassie's voice was akin to Beth Gibbons in her higher register but still blissfully deep in the lower end too. One criticism was that the guitar lines the gent was using were overly similar and fairly uninspiring. The performance was great though but i'm sure she would have got on well enough by herself with a keyboard and a sample trigger.

Remember Remember wasn't really my usual cup of tea, i do listen to stuff like Mum which i enjoy but it was too similar to that sort of stuff for me. I did like his use of everyday objects in his music and his offbeat samples were intriguing. The saxophonist was amazing. Big up to him for his contribution as it really made some of the songs. The song Fountain Mountain builds to an amazing crescendo and was an absolute highlight of his set.

Stars Of The Lid were unbelievably intense live. I loved the live strings and the guitar tone was great. They held together everything seamlessly and were totally awe-inspiring and absorbing. It was a very intimate experience and aside from Sigur Ros live i don't think i've been moved anywhere near as much by a musical experience.

It was a really enjoyable experience as a whole. Thanks to the IMP guys for putting it on. Great times :up:

Guest idol_wild
Nah it was Debutante on the poster. And the description was "layered guitar over simple drum loops". Which i thought sounded about right.

I actually saw that name on a poster when I was down a few weeks back. Debutante must be the female version of me, or something!

It's frustrating though - I'm considering relocating to Glasgow later in the year and I don't fucking want to change my name!

This was easily one of the gigs of the year. I haven't felt so enraptured by show in ages. It completely absorbed you.

The visuals, the slow movements of the band, the strings - THE STRINGS!

Let's not forget the awesome use of the entire frequency range. That low end got down to your bones.

My favourite quote of the night was near the end of the set when Phil turned to me as streams of light were flying past on the visuals and he said "we're going into hyperdrive". Didn't feel far off.

Someone said they played for an hour and half? Is that right because it certainly didn't feel that way. I've often worried about seeing "post-rock(ish)" bands who won't hold my attention in a live format but SOTL utterly nailed it.