aberdeen-music

Geneva

red5

Anybody know what happened to them? ' Further' was a cracking album (1997) + 'Weather Ungerground' (2000) was pretty good as well. Formed in 1992 when Andrew Montgomery + Steven Dora met in Aberdeen + started writing songs together...

Guest highroller

yeah they got quite high in the nme album polls for album of the year for the one in 1997....

i saw em at the lemon tree...not bad at all...how they got big based in aberdeen...i want to know....

My last band played with them a couple of times when they were called Sunfish, and it was pretty obvious even then than they'd get noticed. Andrew's voice is amazing. As far as I know they just did it the old fashioned way of playing lots, and putting out demos until they were signed by Nude Records (Suede's label). Headlined the famous NME Bratbus tour.

They're no longer together, but I think Andrew is in a band called Amityville now, who are making waves, and could be big soon. A couple of the others are also in a new band I think.

Andrew Montgomery is indeed in Amityville - who are rather good, and not a million miles away from the Gevena sound it must be said (well, it's the voice...). I believe he lives in Glasgow and the rest of the band live in London, which might explain why they don't gig an awful lot.

Amityville should be releasing their own single soon, and they've been producing an album with John Leckie (Radiohead/Muse/Stone Roses etc), though they don't have a record deal. They do, however, have the same booking agent as Keane, so might end up getting some decent gigs.

I think 69 Corp (also mentioned above) is a couple of the other Geneva guys, though I don't know which ones but it's more electronic sorta stuff.

And Amityville's manager/Geneva's ex-manager runs a London clubnite called 'Scrabble'. They do a pop quiz as part of their night and the DiS team came first on the first night. Apparently. Though he was quite drunk when he marked the papers. But still... rah.

That's so weird, I was listening to them just the other day and was actually thinking the same question! Further was a good album, I never heard the second one...I heard his voice broke by then or something? First one has some right good songs on, in particular the single I was listening to; Tranqulizer...can't belive I was only 11 when I bought that!

Originally posted by Hog:

I think the singer guy now writes music reviews for a newspaper.......cant remember what one though

no idea, but he used to work for DC Thomson before Geneva took off, I know that. I think he was a reporter at the Sunday Post, in fact.

No idea whether it's true, but the story used to go that they got signed somewhere between being Sunfish and becoming Geneva after someone at Nude saw them completely by coincidence.

I've got that CD...it has Eels, Supernaturals, Cake, Mansun, Silver Sun and Alabama 3 amongst its finest selections if I belive! The Supernaturals track has got to be my fave of them...I loved them so much, in fact I still listen to their "It doesn't matter anymore" album now...wonderful