aberdeen-music

Polynesian vocals

Hog

Very interesting - the first thing I thought whilst listening was that, apart from the fact it had male and female singers, was that it reminded me of "Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares", which I've had on tape for years - (mostly) unaccompanied close harmony female singing with unusual intervals and time signatures. Either Orbital or Leftfield (I forget which) have sampled them'

Bulgarian State Television Female Vocal Choir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares

Regards

Flossie

its weird what sounds musical in different countries/cultures. Some of those tahitian harmonies are off sounding to us, but i guess to them its all melodic.

Time signatures too... Traditional western music's natural rhythm tends to be in 4/4, but in some Eastern European countries the natural rhythm is 5/4.

Ghanian drum ensembles drum in 12/8 so i'm told. Regardless it sounds very cool.

What intervals are those harmonies the Bulgarian choir are singing?

' date=' post: 450383"']its weird what sounds musical in different countries/cultures. Some of those tahitian harmonies are off sounding to us, but i guess to them its all melodic.

Time signatures too... Traditional western music's natural rhythm tends to be in 4/4, but in some Eastern European countries the natural rhythm is 5/4.

Ghanian drum ensembles drum in 12/8 so i'm told. Regardless it sounds very cool.

What intervals are those harmonies the Bulgarian choir are singing?

the microtonal stuff just makes it sound out of tune to me too 8-)

clever muso types (shredders, jazz fusioneers...) have been using eastern 5s and 7s for ages. as well as indian microtonal stuff (fretless 'fusion' guitarists, although it all sounds pretty terrible to me).

12/8 is used all the time in jazz and blues; as are microtones (sort of: 'blues curls').

the microtonal stuff just makes it sound out of tune to me too 8-)

clever muso types (shredders, jazz fusioneers...) have been using eastern 5s and 7s for ages. as well as indian microtonal stuff (fretless 'fusion' guitarists, although it all sounds pretty terrible to me).

12/8 is used all the time in jazz and blues; as are microtones (sort of: 'blues curls').

I wasn't saying those time signatures weren't used at all... just that it wasn't natural.

free jazz and jazz fusion are genres of music i've yet to even give a listen let alone understand.