aberdeen-music

Husker Du - Flip Your Wig.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Guest Steven Dedalus

I was just sitting in the house, trying to do a bit of writing, and the cd I was listening to stopped.

(It was Boards of Canada, if anyone cares)

So I had a wee rake about through the collection, and came across an old copy of Husker Du's "Flip Your Wig" that the lovely Mr Alan Bain had given to me a long time ago.

What a belter of an album! It's one of their few albums that actually sound ok (they are notorious for REALLY badly produced albums), and all the songs are more or less excellent.

Every song sounds like it should've been a massive hit single.

Made me really nostalgic, truth be told.

So, what I'm going to do is this:

Build a time machine, and go back in time to 1983 in America, and form a hardcore band and tour round the country in a wee green van.

My band can be called Nation of Dissent or Angry Youth or something.

Good times!

I was just sitting in the house, trying to do a bit of writing, and the cd I was listening to stopped.

(It was Boards of Canada, if anyone cares)

So I had a wee rake about through the collection, and came across an old copy of Husker Du's "Flip Your Wig" that the lovely Mr Alan Bain had given to me a long time ago.

What a belter of an album! It's one of their few albums that actually sound ok (they are notorious for REALLY badly produced albums), and all the songs are more or less excellent.

Every song sounds like it should've been a massive hit single.

Made me really nostalgic, truth be told.

So, what I'm going to do is this:

Build a time machine, and go back in time to 1983 in America, and form a hardcore band and tour round the country in a wee green van.

My band can be called Nation of Dissent or Angry Youth or something.

Good times!

Husker Du are getting back together.

Guest Steven Dedalus
Husker Du are getting back together.

You're kidding me , right? This is some kind of weird trick?

And with regard to New Day Rising being better, i'm very, very fond of that album, but I feel it's let down by the awesomely bad production (if there was no lyric sheet, I'd say that the words to 'The Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill' would be lost for all time...Is Grant Hart singing from inside a giant wheelie bin?) and the last three songs are absolute indulgent rubbish. It's like they ran out of ideas and just bunged them on at the end.

Guest idol_wild

I think we've waxed lyrical before about how frustrating the production is on New Day Rising in particular. If it sounded the way it should, it'd be one of my favourite albums of all time.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I saw them at the Venue (late 80s???....can't recall exactly). I've only got a live album, which I haven't played for ages...must dig it out.

Presume that's "Land Speed Record"? Cracking album, that.

There's also a vinyl boot. called "Ultracore", which is pretty much all the '80-'82 stuff on one platter. No offence meant, but fuck anything they did after that.

:up:

Guest Steven Dedalus
I'm pretty sure that all three of them are alive! Maybe you're thinking of Minutemen? The fat one got run over.

"The fat one"!?!?!?

That is the most heartbreaking thing I've ever heard (even if it is true).

When I first discovered the Minutemen (thanks, Rory!) I was just blown away by them. Then I read all about their story and found it the most inspirig thing ever.

The documentary is brilliant, and at the bit where they talk about D. Boon's death, I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed a little tear.

By the way, perhaps the live album Alan is talking about is "The Living End", which was recorded on the 'Warehouse' tour. It's pretty good! (I was listening to bits of it today as well.)

Guest Steven Dedalus
Presume that's "Land Speed Record"? Cracking album, that.

:up:

I remember reading that Mike Mills of REM said that's his favourite album of all time.

Which seems hugely unlikely. But then I saw loads of pictures of him in the mid-80s, playing bass and wearing the Husker Du t-shirt.

Wouldn't it be great if REM's new album sounded like HUsker Du?

One can only dream.

I remember reading that Mike Mills of REM said that's his favourite album of all time.

Which seems hugely unlikely. But then I saw loads of pictures of him in the mid-80s, playing bass and wearing the Husker Du t-shirt.

Wouldn't it be great if REM's new album sounded like HUsker Du?

One can only dream.

REM took Minutemen on tour and stuff, so they were way down with SST, yo.

Guest Steven Dedalus
REM took Minutemen on tour and stuff, so they were way down with SST, yo.

Do you remember* when they were still cool? I do.

They used to be my favourite band.

* "Do you remember" is a translation of Husker Du, so I'm still staying on topic! Yaay!