aberdeen-music

Pedal recommendations

WoodyRATM

Hey, i have a small problem.

I'm looking for an overdrive or distortian pedal. Kinda want to be able to have the abilty to change between different levels of drive..from insane to a barely driven sound.

I'd like to be able to get a queens of the stone age/foo fighters kinda vibe.

would be looking to spend around 100 odd maybe?

i had been looking at a russian muff, but im not sure about it.

Guest idol_wild

Being a fan of the Boss distortion range, I'd recommend a DS-1 for your light distortion/fuzz and then any of the yellow Boss overdrive pedals for a bigger noise/boost. They'll work in sync with eachother.

Alternatively, a graphic equalizer or a volume boost pedal would work in conjunction with a simple DS-1. You could pick up a DS-1 for around 20-30 on ebay. Don't be scared to go into R&B or Bruce Miller's and talk to the staff about it, they'll allow you to test a couple of pedals together so that you can discover what you can achieve with any given combination.

I would reccomend getting a nice overdrive sound on your amp and then using an overdrive or distortion pedal as a 'boost' to get a heavy sound (Volume maxed and distortion turned down).

I use either a Boss SD-1, RAT or Metal Zone (used by Crowbar/Down, Pig Destroyer, Cannibal Corpse and Converge) for this depending on what kind of sound I want.

I was trying to find out what Josh used in Kyuss and found out that at some point he was just using a Boss SD-1...thats probably a good start point.

I just got a TC dual distortion which is quite nice. I reckon it would sound gorgeous through a valve amp. i've seen them for around 95. i got mine for 67 :D

You could just get 2 RATs if you wanted, they're mega versatile. just have one set with a low drive and one high. means you have the option of changing where the filter is. im sure you could get both of them for under 100 bucks.

the only problem with choosing FX pedals, especially distortion, is that your amp/guitar will ultimately affect what the pedal sounds like, so say some professional uses his metal zone through a triple rectifier with his 3,000 guitar, its gona sound waay different to a metal zone through a wee valvestate with a squier strat or sumthin....

so basically when your tryin them out u want to have as close to your personal setup as possible to get an accurate idea of how itll sound with YOUR equipment

the only problem with choosing FX pedals, especially distortion, is that your amp/guitar will ultimately affect what the pedal sounds like, so say some professional uses his metal zone through a triple rectifier with his 3,000 guitar, its gona sound waay different to a metal zone through a wee valvestate with a squier strat or sumthin....

so basically when your tryin them out u want to have as close to your personal setup as possible to get an accurate idea of how itll sound with YOUR equipment

correct. thats why Converge get away with using an MT-2 and i do not.

Hey, i have a small problem.

I'm looking for an overdrive or distortian pedal. Kinda want to be able to have the abilty to change between different levels of drive..from insane to a barely driven sound.

I'd like to be able to get a queens of the stone age/foo fighters kinda vibe.

would be looking to spend around 100 odd maybe?

i had been looking at a russian muff, but im not sure about it.

I've hunners of pedals and the best combination I've come up with thus far is :- Fulltone OCD v3 - Little Big Muff - Demeter Fat Control. It sounds good through any of my amps. I can get a good spectrum of tones using, tweaking (or turning off) that combination.