aberdeen-music

new york music scene?

Ollie

or see Les Paul at the Orbit room, it's a monday or tuesday night, I forget which one.

Oh, there's a killer pizzeria on West 42nd by the Police Stables on the way to the day-liner. Grab a paper when you're there and that'll get you around. Oh, and start banking sleep now, NYC don't sleep much....

Here are a couple of links that will help:

the first is the New York Times newspaper - the "what's On" information is updated daily here:

December calendar of NYC events

The link below is to the world famous Appollo Theatre where James Brown made his last stage appearance - in his coffin.

THE APOLLO THEATER FOUNDATION, INC. -- HISTORIC TOURS

Better still if you are a musician go to the morning auditions for the weekly Wednesday "Talent Night". At the audition you have 90 seconds to impress and get booked and paid to appear on Wednesday evening.

James Brown, Ella Fitzgerald, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Jackie Wilson, Michael Jackson and hundreds of others all apeared on the Apollo's "Talent Night" shows before they became famous.

Warning! The "Talent Night" audience is very perceptive, appreciative and at times very noisy.

Wednesday night at the Apollo is quite an event and the daily tours of this magnificent theatre are mainly conducted by retired performers who tell wonderful stories about the Apollo's history.

Before the show enjoy the Rib's at Miss Maude's SpoonBread Too and you will probably meet some of the musicians who will entertain you at the show.

Harlem is less than 10 minutes on the train from Grand Central Station (well worth a visit itself). There are trains every few minutes. MTA Home Page for more information

harlem is safe for "honkies" these days but it was more fun going there in the sixties.

Wrap up well as it will be very cold.

Graham

or see Les Paul at the Orbit room, it's a monday or tuesday night, I forget which one.

QUOTE]

He used to be at Iridium on a Monday night.

I'll get that venue list before Wednesday night Ollie. Do you want to play yourself when you're there? There's a decent open-mike at the Sidewalk Cafe on Ave.A every moday night. (Lach's 'Anti-Hoot').

• 2 months later...

That's right, the Iridium. Looks like he's still there. And that pizza? nothing like it anywhere else in the world.....

Pizza at The Iridium? Hmm, didn't try that. They had a minimum spend when I was there, but we made that up on booze. :up: Great show, but if you want to see him I wouldn't wait too long, he won't be around forever. Great guy though, and he signed my Les Paul.

Best Pizza I've had was in NYC though, John's Pizzeria on Bleeker Street. Helpfully it's just opposite Matt Umanov guitars, which is a really cool guitar shop. :up: