aberdeen-music

Cool stuff to do in year abroad?

Bodast

Well hai,

I just discovered I have to tell my tutors tomorrow/soon what my plans are for my year abroad (2008-09) - the only rules are that I have to get fluent in my two languages (French and Czech) and I'd prefer at least some employment stuff so I can.. uh.. pay for a room and stuff, though if I make a case for something original they'll give me some cash. And I don't want to spend the whole year in Prague and Paris.

So far I have:

Work for a couple of months at Disneyland Paris (try to get promoted to a dressing up position)

Do an internship at Prague Radio (they sometimes get to interview interesting people: actors who are filming thereabouts, politicians etc.)

Try to get a job at Ceska Televize (next year Smicer is doing Czech Rep's Premiership programme, I might get to make him coffee...)

Emm... au pair... a course at a university somewhere.

Any inspiring suggestions?

Thanks in advance :up:

Guest Steven Dedalus
If you are still wowed by the idea of "cool stuff", maybe you should get back to college till you grow-up a bit more? Go when you are ready to properly appreciate other countries?

What a ghastly fellow you are.

Everyone loves 'cool stuff'.

If you are still wowed by the idea of "cool stuff", maybe you should get back to college till you grow-up a bit more? Go when you are ready to properly appreciate other countries?

My deepest and most sincere apologies. I would write a long defence of my worldliness detailing all of the splendid appreciation of other countries that I have already completed, but I feel it would be wasted on someone who evidently doesn't realise that 'cool' has an enormous range of meanings and could be substituted for various more literary words, but is appropriate, thanks to its versatility, for a casual discussion on an internet forum which is dominated by young people who use it here and there with abandon to express all manners of positive attitude, (or, for that matter, someone who deigns to send me "back to college" when he himself/she herself doesn't know that 'grow up' is not a hyphenated verb).

To the others, thanks for your ideas - WOW! - they sound really cool. :D

Go to Belgium. They speak French in one half and they have amazing beers & music. Go work in one of the breweries, learn some Jacques Brel songs!

By the way, I really like this idea (I had a vague idea of going to Northern France/Lille area anyway so it's quite close). What's the public transport like in the French speaking area as a whole, do you know? I was in Hasselt and I was really delighted, but I believe it's run by the mayor of each place. (?)

Guest bluesxman
My deepest and most sincere apologies. I would write a long defence of my worldliness detailing all of the splendid appreciation of other countries that I have already completed, but I feel it would be wasted on someone who evidently doesn't realise that 'cool' has an enormous range of meanings and could be substituted for various more literary words, but is appropriate, thanks to its versatility, for a casual discussion on an internet forum which is dominated by young people who use it here and there with abandon to express all manners of positive attitude, (or, for that matter, someone who deigns to send me "back to college" when he himself/she herself doesn't know that 'grow up' is not a hyphenated verb).

To the others, thanks for your ideas - WOW! - they sound really cool. :D

unfortunately I cannot give reputation for this post but....nice one.

Seems too much of a vacuous or instant self-gratification thing. Also I've a distrust of anything that seems to legitimise selfish self-interest in any way.

Although I find it heart-warming that you feel you know me well enough to make assumptions about me from a couple of posts (couple of words??) on here, I feel you've misconstrued my wishes... and although I plan for the year to gratify me (well, I've been given twelve months in which I'm still tecnically at uni but in which I can do, to a degree, whatever I want; of course I want to have fun) and will probably be a somewhat egotistical in doing so, I'm looking for suggestions that might potentially make it less vacuous (and leaving the interpretation of 'less vacuous' up to my ardent readership). Maybe I should have explained that in the thread title _

Fine, make someting of it then.

Just don't be one of those characters who are trying to obliterate whatever percieved gap is in their personality/image by the singular pursuit of cool.

Hmm..

Student

About to take a year out

Verbose

Little bit full of yourself?

and will probably be a somewhat egotistical in doing so, <snip> up to my ardent readership.

(Well, you said it! :p )

Maybe don't know you but I think I know your ilk well enough.

Have fun! :)

Hmm.

Well for the second time in this thread I'd like to extend my apologies, and this time they are at least semi-sincere because, although it doesn't particularly matter what persona I present online, I'd rather not be seen as exactly that student type. Sorry if I come across as obnoxious/a bit of a dick, it's juvenileness and the reason I don't write blogs.

At the same time, c'mon, I'm 19, I have to do the year abroad anyway, and I'm going to pursue cool at the same time like my life depends on it while I have the chance. :D (Provided cool = riding trams for days on end and comparing past participles in Moravian and Bohemian dialects, which is what I will be doing if I can't figure out a goddamn plan!) Don't you remember being young and carefree? :)

Guest Steven Dedalus

You wanna know what cool is, check this out, y'all:

1165275757mlx7.jpg

Oh, wait a minute! That's just a picture of me from ages ago looking really fat and beardy!

I meant this is what cool is:

freshprinceandjazzyjeffqm5.jpg

why are there so many twats picking up on tiny little things that just don't amount to a hill of beans.

I read Bodast's post as something pretty exciting and interesting...I use "cool" a lot, and not in the "spotty pre-pubescent geek" context that Pogofish was ..... parping....on about.

Stop being pedantic and miserable and get on with being cool in life....hey!