THE YOUNGBLOODS

THE MECCANO SET

THE WITHOUT MEASURE PROJECT

+ Invisible Poster DJ

Dr Drakes

Thursday, May 13th 2004

Doors 7:30 first band 8:00

Entry 2

"We are proud to announce Change is a Sound, a benefit gig for the Aberdeen Poster Collective.

As the Aberdeen Poster Collective is an anonymous group, all the bands will be playing under a different name; some might even come up with a slightly unusual set. The following bands/projects will be on stage:

Art Fuck are an electrifying splinter group flown in straight from Tibet. They claim to be the missing link between Jonathan Richman and Big Black.

Rockets Are Red is the alter ego of an infamous Aberdeen noise-rock outfit, bringing you a sound that will delight any fan of Fugazi, Shellac or the Birthday Party.

The monarchs of brutish punkrock are sending their military wing, The Youngbloods . Watch out, they won't take any prisoners!

The Meccano Set are guaranteed to entertain our audience with their fantastic blend of jazzy and easy-going sounds punctuated by an occasional surf edge.

Last but not least The Without Measure Project will bring you the Pixie-esque sounds of solo-artist RM performed by a complete band for the first time ever.

In-between the bands, our invisible Poster DJ is going to give you an insight into the record collections of the Aberdeen Poster Collective. There will be info leaflets to spread the word of the poster campaign, kind of an 'exhibition' of our posters and maybe even a projection of posters, art and film excerpts (we're still working on that one, technology technology...).

Hopefully this sounds interesting?! Thanks so much to the team from Dr Drake's and all the bands for making this possible!!! We hope to see you all on Thursday, May 13th, joining us when we'll turn our little conspiracy into one big party!

for more information, visit http://www.aberdeen-posters.tk "

You can download some Art Fuck here (right click: save target as)

Killing Blues

Head Fuck

Listen to brave Futura 2000:

'This is a message from Futura

Don't prophesise the future

I liven up the culture

Because I'm deadly as a vulture

I PAINT ON CIVILIZATION I HAVE THIS REALIZATION

It's environmentally wack

So presenting my attack

I'll brighten up your shack

I'm down by law

That's a fact

Just give me a wall.

Any building dull or tall

I spray clandestine night subway

I cover red purple on top of grey

Hey, no slashing cuz it ain't the way

The T.A. blew 40 mil they say

We threw it down by night

They scrubbed it off by day

OK tourists:

PICTURE FRAME, TICKETS HERE

FOR THE GRAFFITI TRAIN.'

Futura 2000 was the original leader of The Aberdeen Poster Collective: he is dead now.

Come to this gig so that he may live again, if only to kill again.

for those of you who dont know about the Aberdeen Poster campaign, below is their manifesto ( i hope they dont mind me posting it!) check out www.aberdeen-posters.tk for examples of their work if you havent already - also follow the links to find more information on each poster (background information, web links, further reading, influences, illustrations, etc.)...its all very interesting....

The aim of the Aberdeen Poster Collective's campaign is to use public space in a creative way and to inspire other individuals or groups to express themselves in similar ways. Basically the idea is to raise awareness about certain issues among the students and staff of Aberdeen University by putting up posters that address the subject matter in a straight-forward manner, using only short slogans and minimalistic imagery that can be understood in just a few seconds. This method was pioneered by the student movement of 1968 and is still used today by a large number of underground artists such as e.g. Eric Drooker and Seth Tobocman.

In the worst case the ABDN posters will pass completely unnoticed. In the best case the initiative of the Aberdeen Poster Collective is going to trigger a wave of posters by other individuals/groups joining in to turn our notice boards, bins, phone boxes etc. into mirrors of the creativity and concerns of many different people, reflecting their personalities, their political attitudes or even just their love for being creative and sharing their ideas with others.

The Aberdeen Poster Collective is not affiliated with any political/religious party or movement in particular and seeks to maintain this independence. The posters are going to address a wide range of very different issues in the future, but there will also occasionnally be posters dealing with more personal things (illustrations of poems, songs etc.) as well as posters fulfilling a purely aesthetic purpose.

As individuals we hold on to certain views that are also expressed in our posters, but indoctrination of the masses by simply replacing mainstream media culture with something else is not the point here. Our posters don't hold the key answers to the issues we are addressing. They are supposed to make a radical, sometimes simplistic statement that is supposed to stimulate people to form their own opinions on certain issues and discuss them with others. We want to create a 'Streitkultur', a culture of enlightening debate and interchange, in the everyday lives of our fellow students.

The Aberdeen Poster project is anonymous, only very few people know the origin of the posters. The reasoning behind this is that the posters should be able to speak for themselves; also our members don't like public attention.

Uggggghhhh I am still as hung over as HELL,I woke up in Edinburgh on a train and had to hitch back for work,missing breakfast!.

The Meccano Set were fantastic,I only wish I had picked on King Liars Sam more ,instead of the inept keyboard player as he was sadly lacking a sense of humour and genuinely seemed perturbed ,which although it just added to the fun, I do feel like a bit of a prick for pissing him off,King Liar were a hoot though,well worth seeing again , not sure about the image though,Natzi gaylords was done quite a while back,he he he.

If he had got any closer I would have to demonstrate my Zen skills.

I have a black belt in cooking,kill you with one chop.

sERIOUSLY THOUGH sorry for the gratuitous heckle,I will pay you guys back by attending your next gig.

Originally posted by Biz:

Uggggghhhh I am still as hung over as HELL,I woke up in Edinburgh on a train and had to hitch back for work,missing breakfast!.

The Meccano Set were fantastic,I only wish I had picked on King Liars Sam more ,instead of the inept keyboard player as he was sadly lacking a sense of humour and genuinely seemed perturbed ,which although it just added to the fun, I do feel like a bit of a prick for pissing him off,King Liar were a hoot though,well worth seeing again , not sure about the image though,Natzi gaylords was done quite a while back,he he he.

sERIOUSLY THOUGH sorry for the gratuitous heckle,I will pay you guys back by attending your next gig.

I had to demonstrate my Zen skills. The heckling came across pretty badly, I thought you sounded like a twat... and I wasn't alone in that (I'm being honest) and only realised it was you when Sam pointed it out.

Good that you show regret though... those Brute boys... they do things.

The perils of excess, eh?

What's to be done with you, Bill? I didn't actually realise it was you until the second time you piped up... it's always fun to make a feature of lone drunken hecklers. The (gay) Nazi image isn't a regular thing- that is the uniform of The Youngbloods, and for whatever reason all bands had to play under a pseudoname. Rest assured that King Liar & The Brutes will return to normal service on the 29th of this month. Of course we'll be turning up to see XS Relocat (next Friday?) and lessons will be taught. Good tactic to get people along to your gigs, though: heckle bands so that they come to your gig in order to heckle you back...

Hmmmmm...I'm in King Liar and the Brutes......I think that confirms I have a sense of humour. I 'play' keyboards without any kind of knowledge at all of how to actually play them....think that seconds the motion.

The heckling was up to a point good and funny - it's always a very enjoyable element of King Liar gigs. This is why we all responded lightheartedly to your drunken musings for most of the gig and you're right - it all adds to the fun.

However, on the subject of lacking humour, the last heckle was, and I quote: 'Someone should give your keyboard player a smack'. This is not a funny/clever or even throw-away comment and is not related in any way to the music or the gig. It is also the kind of heckle that is ill-advised in such a small venue if don't want the inevitable confrontation that will arise from it. It suggests to me, coming off stage after a gig slightly wired, that you have a real fucking problem with me and would like to make an issue of it. Which, at that point in time, would have been very easy to arrange. My reaction was uncharacteristic but ugly comments can provoke ugly reactions. Never mind, the situation is over and done with but I think the way you paint it is unrepresentative of what you actually did / said.

You are right though, the gig was truly excellent and The Staccato Set and Art Fuck were both very good indeed.

Guest Mr Blastcap

blimey i missed a fight! thats brilliant! i think heckling is funny. i heard the chap from the meccano set did a blastcap- which is also superb.

'However, on the subject of lacking humour, the last heckle was, and I quote: 'Someone should give your keyboard player a smack'. This is not a funny/clever or even throw-away comment and is not related in any way to the music or the gig. It is also the kind of heckle that is ill-advised in such a small venue if don't want the inevitable confrontation that will arise from it. It suggests to me, coming off stage after a gig slightly wired, that you have a real fucking problem with me and would like to make an issue of it. Which, at that point in time, would have been very easy to arrange. My reaction was uncharacteristic but ugly comments can provoke ugly reactions. Never mind, the situation is over and done with but I think the way you paint it is unrepresentative of what you actually did / said. '

- isnt that just unnecessary intellectualising of 'me have fists?! man slag me?!? me hit man!!!' ? it was just some drunk at the back, who some of you guys seem to know anyway. some (most) bands in this town should spend less time at rock college...sorry, i just dont see the defence for resorting to violence for any heckle however 'ill-advised' it is.

Wow is my face red!SORRY again, I was very drunk ,I'll make it up te ye.

Sam has got the right idea though,turning up at our gigs and heckling us is what it is all about,I saw Hot Mangu the other week and they were great with their golf claps and other nonsense.

Audience participation is a much neglected thing and Sam did a great job of being the host with the most.

See ya next Friday,cheers,Biz.

This has all been blown out of proportion. I wasn't defending or justifying what I did, I realise it was wrong (hence my own admission that my reaction was 'ugly'). I was just trying to explain WHY it happened and the facts behind it.

Anyway, the original post made it seem like I had tried to kill someone for no reason, when I actually just wanted to approach the heckler to discuss Bontempi's stunning new product range, because he seemed very informed about such things.

No apology needed on your part,I went too far with the boisterous remarks,I should have drank less and prevented you having to put up with such inanity,but hell,life goes on and once again I am offering an open invitation to all to come and heckle me next Friday.

No apology needed on your part,I went too far with the boisterous remarks,I should have drank less and prevented you having to put up with such inanity,but hell,life goes on and once again I am offering an open invitation to all to come and heckle me next Friday.

We'll be their... heckling away... like deranged witches.

You'll see.

Guest allsystemsfail

This shit was cool. While the bands weren't generally to my taste, it was still a great great show + the slideshow rocked. And of course, it was for a most worthy cause.