aberdeen-music

Octave Pedals

ghost

I can reccomend that you don't get the danelectro mini one. It blows donkey cock.

You're better off spending a bit more money and getting some kind of harmoniser unit - you need to spend about 100 or so to get one with good note tracking.

The ebst of the bunch is probably the Whammy. I know Rage and Muse use it for crazy sounds, but it does work as a simple harmonsing pedal as well.

Craig

check out ebay for the whammy pedal. they're around 180-200 new, but hold value well - maybe 120 on ebay? pure speculation like. The boss one would be pretty good - and you could easy get second hand for cheaps.

Go see if you can try a couple out. I was looking at that Danelectro mini, but when I tried it out in the shop it just sounded like a cheap plastic piece of shit.

Out of those danelectro minis I've found three good pedals - the trem, EQ, and phaser. But you do have limited control over them.....

You should maybe think about getting an intelligent harmoniser or even splashing a few hundred on a decent rack fx - tc electronics G-Major or something. You can use it with your guitar rig, or as a processer for your home studio. probably 300-500 is what you'd need to spend. stay away from Zoom cheapy ones. Zoom is where good sounds go to die. plus they hiss like a rattlesnake down a strippers thong.

Behringer would be a good company to look at as well.

Craig

Interesting! I'll look out for that. However, one of the main reasons I'm looking at getting one is to switch between guitar lines and "bass" without swapping guitars. Would these pedals be good enough to get a realistic bass sound?

I am pretty sure Jack White used an octave device to record the "bass" part on Seven Nation Army. Best thing to do as usual would be to go into a shop and try them out. Should be some sound samples on some manufacturers sites.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Tav:

How much did that set you back? How many notes does it work with? Can you play chords? Too many question in quick succession? I think so.

It was 55. I expected it to be alot more as I payed the same for an OC-2. You can play chords, but sometimes it sounds a bit messy. It seems to be able to handle 4 notes at one. It also has a bass input which is really good as it picks up all the notes fine. There's one in R&B just now I think.

Had a shot of the Boss octavo a few times and used it live when a bassist wasn't handy. When playing chords it would scan its way through the notes trying to find the right one, sometimes sounded like a bass line, but other times it sounded like a cat walking up and down a piano (near the bottom!)......prefer a proper pitchshiter myself, though beware of the "Queen" soundalike solos......eeesh