aberdeen-music

Mercury Music Prize

Chris

Guest Steven Dedalus
i can't take jazz seriously since the 'welcome to jazz club - nice' thing john thompson used to do on the fast show.....

Every time I bought some jazz from Mark and Tich downstairs in One Up, one of them (or both of them) would turn to me and say, "Jazz.....shite" in the jazz club voice.

I was the same, can listen to a lot of different types of music but I'll never get jazz. Isn't the drummer from those jazz noodlists from Aberdeen?

yeah he is, he's in the band polar that was nominated last year, or it could have been the year before. The EE made a big deal of it when the nominations were announced.

Guest Steven Dedalus

Nice to see the "curse of Mercury" lives on. The Arctic Monkey's second album was utter rubbish, and the Klaxons will be hard-pressed to meet even those low standards. In years to come, I doubt we'll remember them at all.

Here's hopin'!

All I have to say with regards the result is that Amy Winehouse deserved to win. I genuinely think the tabloid interest in her antics over the last few months blew her chances, the judges really couldn't discount the stigma attached to her. When people look back in 10, 50 or even 100 years, Back To Black will be the album that has lived on. It truly is an amazing piece of work.

Klaxons; sure they are fun, I like their songs and drunkenly they are 'pumping tunes' so to speak, but an album with even one cover version on it should not be eligible for the Mercury Music Prize - let alone win it. Remembering the brief that the Mercury Music Prize is meant to reflect the best album musically for the year - the current year... not the 90's. Plus the original is genuinely about 17 times better.

Guest Steven Dedalus
When people look back in 10, 50 or even 100 years, Back To Black will be the album that has lived on. It truly is an amazing piece of work.

steady on, old chap!

If that ain't the worst case of hyperbole that I've heard inages, I don't know what is...

Seriously? I've had eighteen months of being asked for "Atlantis to Interzone", "Magick" and "Golden Skans", all of which go down miles better on the dancefloor then "Not Over Yet".

If you were to take a clutch of typical Klaxons fans, I doubt any one of them would recognise that song as a cover. I didn't even realise it myself when the album came out.

to be fair i only DJ at cordona's and the moorings these days and in cordona's i wouldnt expect the crowd to know anything else apart from 'not over yet' and i've only done a grand total of 3 gigs in the moorings but i did get asked for 'not over yet' last saturday!!!

certainly the crowds you're playing to would know their stuff better.

I watched the footage of the awards ceremony last night, and I'm not much of Klaxons fan but their reaction to winning was quite a touching moment. The guy that plays bass burst into tears instantly and the other 2 pretty much ended up the same way and it seemed really genuine, so at least it went to a band that really wanted it.

I watched the footage of the awards ceremony last night, and I'm not much of Klaxons fan but their reaction to winning was quite a touching moment. The guy that plays bass burst into tears instantly and the other 2 pretty much ended up the same way and it seemed really genuine, so at least it went to a band that really wanted it.

nothing to do with being absolutly gubbed then?

I liked all the fly shots of Amy W, BAt for Lashes et al looking very pleased with the announcement...

fake smiles spread like wildfire.