aberdeen-music

Bass fx recommendations?

all_his_engines

Calling all bass players.....

I do a fair bit of soloing on my bass in the band I'm in at the moment, but feel I need a little something to make my lines stand out when I do so. Looking for basically a volume boost and maybe a little fuzz or something similar. Any recommendations?

PS. Bear in mind that I play in an alt-folk band, so I'm not really after colossal Hugh Hopper-esque fuzz sound. (not yet, anyway)

www.myspace.com/nopasaran1

For bass solos, adding chorus and a little bit of reverb is fairly conventional. Use your volume control on your instrument to add volume if necessary (this may also add a bit of fuzz if it causes something to overdrive but probably wont if you use a solid state amp).

I would also say that chorus, reverb and delay are the most important (and only essential) effects generally, so being able to create them at a good quality is always going to be useful. Another reason you may also not be cutting through the mix while soloing is your EQ settings (probably scooped mids/v shape). Being able to change your EQ on the fly, would be useful. A pedal that had EQ on/off would be ideal for this purpose (recommendations would be good).

For the general purpose of making your bass 'stand out', your bass and amplifier combination is the key. Also concider replacing your strings more regularly if you don't already.

Overdrive/fuzz/distrotion is largely down to personal taste so try it out (preferably with equipment, similar to what you will be using) before you buy.

For bass solos, adding chorus and a little bit of reverb is fairly conventional. Use your volume control on your instrument to add volume if necessary (this may also add a bit of fuzz if it causes something to overdrive but probably wont if you use a solid state amp).

I would also say that chorus, reverb and delay are the most important (and only essential) effects generally, so being able to create them at a good quality is always going to be useful. Another reason you may also not be cutting through the mix while soloing is your EQ settings (probably scooped mids/v shape). Being able to change your EQ on the fly, would be useful. A pedal that had EQ on/off would be ideal for this purpose (recommendations would be good).

For the general purpose of making your bass 'stand out', your bass and amplifier combination is the key. Also concider replacing your strings more regularly if you don't already.

Overdrive/fuzz/distrotion is largely down to personal taste so try it out (preferably with equipment, similar to what you will be using) before you buy.

He said alt-folk, not Chris de Burgh!

• Upvote 1

Guest nature_1

for fuzz, check out the Zvex Woolly Mammoth maybe; or if you're on a budget, a big muff.

or maybe even the EHX bass microsynth? it's got some natty scuzzy sounds in it....

for fuzz, check out the Zvex Woolly Mammoth maybe; or if you're on a budget, a big muff.

or maybe even the EHX bass microsynth? it's got some natty scuzzy sounds in it....

I really woudn't recommend a Wooly Mammoth for alt folk. They're very very fuzzy. Big Muff's possibey a bit raw as well, but definately more in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

The Boss Blues Driver is well worth trying . It works well with Bass , isn't too over the top , and responds to your playing .... ie. you can set it so it only overdrives when you play harder and remains clean otherwise . Robert Keeley does a modified , improved version , although it costs consderably more .