aberdeen-music

Extreme Sports Centre in Aberdeen

KarmaTsunami

TRANSITION EXTREME

This place opens on Saturday the 12th. Was in today for an induction, and got given the tour. Must say, this place looks the mutts nuts. The skate park is fantastic, and they've got a huge swimming pool bowl in it too. Climbing walls are fucking massive, and they've got bouldering walls as well. For anyone who's interested, the membership prices and rules are going up tomorrow (hopefully). The place will also have two practise rooms and looks to put on gigs with a balcony overlooking the skate park as a possible stage, or have the bands playing in the middle.

:up:

I'm sure this place will be a great success.

The building itself looks horrific however, a real eyesore. The architect should be shot.

I bet the people who have bought expensive flats nearby are chuffed with their new view.

Agreed, just a hideous cheap basic industrial shed.

In many ways, I don't mind that. ;) I lived down there through the planning battle for those flats & how on earth they managed to get built on land zoned for light industrial/retail/leisure use is a question that still needs answering IMO & anyone who chose to buy a flat down there ought to have made themselves aware of the nature of the area first.

i don't skate, and i wish i did after seeing the inside of the place. the way they've designed the park is brilliant, as sam says - getting feedback from skaters all over the world/help designing it from people who've done some great parks in the past etc...so it has a real flow to it, plenty of room to add thing/remove them...and rather than have concrete floors and wooden ramps etc..the WHOLE park is made of the same wood so there's a really smooth transition coming off of objects. (also makes for less accidents apparently). climbing/bouldering walls designed in much the same way.

What job are you doing there Lesley? My chum Lynne got a job as a receptionist. She was told to bring her gear for a skate on induction day, don't think she was too excited :p

But yeah, I'm sure it'll be a huge success and it's about time something like it was built in the city. Also, unlike the B.O.D. outdoor park, this'll hopefully stay vandal-free!

Is this in any way related to the skating-for-jesus-sandals park that was set up at the beach a few years back?

Nope. It is a charity, but in no way affiliated with any religion.

*Amy* - I'm a receptionist too! I saw Lynne at the induction as receptionists were kpet behind to go over our rotas and such like. In for a full day of training tomorrow. Quite excited to see the place open! :up: I reckon it will stay vandal-free, apparently we're gonna have a card-swipe membership system, and anyone who causes trouble gets their member-ship revoked and their card doesn't work!

unfortunately not :) the skate park are really strict about the fact that only skateboards, bmx bikes and inline skates are allowed to be used in the park. had to turn away a snake-boarder and someone with a jump bike today. was absolutely mobbed, every skate session was full, and we had folk staying in all day, so obviously a success!