aberdeen-music

Steve Hillage, Fish Rising - best album ever?

palmer_eldritch

Thank you Shawn for introducing me to this guy!

This is potentially the best album i've ever listened to. It's absolutely stunning. Its a seriously awesome album and i recommend it to anyone who indulges in progressive/space/space jazz/space raga/space psychadelia rock music. Anyone familiar with it already? It is a rather old one, but i can't remember the yaer released. Some time in the 70s, think late 70s.

I wouldn't mind your thoughts

(Another great Steve Hillage song which aint on Fish Rising is "The Glorious Om Riff" - words cannot descrive)

• 1 year later...

WOW Steve Hillage is alive and well !!

Friends, gotta tell you - I was at a few of his gigs back in the day when the album "L" came out and saw him tear it up with a Quad PA system for his guitar solo!!

I like dthe fact that his solos were very melodic, nothin to weird or highspeed but just about right. And is it any surprise that he is still going strong with the Drum n' Bass community, you just cant keep a good musician down!! Come out to OCEANROCK STUDIOS in aboyne - www.oceanrockstudios.co.uk and I will teach you how to play "Salmon Song" " Master Builder" and "Flying Teapot" Cheers! nathan

Thank you Shawn for introducing me to this guy!

This is potentially the best album i've ever listened to. It's absolutely stunning. Its a seriously awesome album and i recommend it to anyone who indulges in progressive/space/space jazz/space raga/space psychadelia rock music. Anyone familiar with it already? It is a rather old one' date=' but i can't remember the yaer released. Some time in the 70s, think late 70s.

I wouldn't mind your thoughts

(Another great Steve Hillage song which aint on Fish Rising is "The Glorious Om Riff" - words cannot descrive)[/quote']

Interesting how terms like "progressive/space/space jazz/space raga/space psychadelia rock music" always go with the word "indulge". Suggests that the music is lacking in some kind if necessity.

Ahem...apart from that, is that Bukowski in your avatar Sex Pest Sidca?

Friends' date=' gotta tell you - I was at a few of his gigs back in the day when the album "L" came out and saw him tear it up with a Quad PA system for his guitar solo!!

I like dthe fact that his solos were very melodic, nothin to weird or highspeed but just about right. And is it any surprise that he is still going strong with the Drum n' Bass community, you just cant keep a good musician down!! Come out to OCEANROCK STUDIOS in aboyne - www.oceanrockstudios.co.uk and I will teach you how to play "Salmon Song" " Master Builder" and "Flying Teapot" Cheers! nathan

Very lucky of you! I'd love to see master builder/om riff live. I was born 30 years too late :(

I'd take you up on that offer of learning those songs, if i hadn't already devoted my life to being able to play steve hillage style. Plenty of delay normally does the trick! :cheers:

come on now neil, get your big wooden mixing spoon out of this forum, to be honest i think you are being a bit patronizing, i know rory ( sultanofswing ) has been into hillage/spacerock for a long time now and is probably one of his biggest influences and he is a bloody amazing guitarist, so for you to go saying that that particular genre of music is lacking in something is a tad *patronizing* :D

come on now neil' date=' get your big wooden mixing spoon out of this forum, to be honest i think you are being a bit patronizing, i know rory ( sultanofswing ) has been into hillage/spacerock for a long time now and is probably one of his biggest influences and he is a bloody amazing guitarist, so for you to go saying that that particular genre of music is lacking in something is a tad *patronizing* :D[/quote']

I never said it was lacking something, i said that Rory's words seemed to imply there was something lacking in the music. I've never heard the fellow and never intend to, anyone who puts the word "riff" in a songtitle is a despicable individual.

"Sigh....."

If we're going to nit-pick (well, I am), then it's not a song title, since it's not the title of a song, due to there being no singing.

The piece, then, cannot centre on vocals in any way, and the focus is instead on the riff, which is maintained over the top of a constantly changing time-signature in the drums. So I think the title is pretty accurate and appropriate.

Yes, I know it sounds like I'm being pedantic and picking fights, but I'm just really bored, so fighting with Calum and Neil is the closest I can get to entertainment (or indeed, a social life) :(

*....Jerry! Jerry!...*

I never said it was lacking something' date=' i said that Rory's words seemed to imply there was something lacking in the music. I've never heard the fellow and never intend to, anyone who puts the word "riff" in a songtitle is a despicable individual.[/quote']

Well, I think it's great that one word of one song title is preventing you from listening to one of the most creative individuals to emerge from the ealry '70s...

"Sigh....."

If we're going to nit-pick (well' date=' I am), then it's not a song title, since it's not the title of a song, due to there being no singing.

The piece, then, cannot centre on vocals in any way, and the focus is instead on the riff, which is maintained over the top of a constantly changing time-signature in the drums. So I think the title is pretty accurate and appropriate.

Yes, I know it sounds like I'm being pedantic and picking fights, but I'm just really bored, so fighting with Calum and Neil is the closest I can get to entertainment (or indeed, a social life) :(

*....Jerry! Jerry!...*[/quote']

Accurate it might be but who wants accuracy?? Think about how many songs would be called "About a Girl" in addition to the Nirvana song if we wanted song titles to be accurate. And there being no vocals doesn't mean it's not a song. Instrumentals are still songs and it's not like vocals are required for a song to have a greater meeting than "wow doesn't this riff sound cool".

Screw Springer, Trisha is where it's at.