aberdeen-music

Custom Explorer for sale

HateEvent

Here we go. It's like talking to the wife, except one other question is missing.....

"Do you really need all those guitars, you can only play one at a time?"

Without going to much into things, I have a Saab 900 worth 500 quid, and I'm really happy with it. In the past I've spent 8-9k on a car and been pissed off about it, partly becuase it's worth 3-4k within a year or two. In short, my 500 quid car does the job just nicely thank you, this is because I'm not a car person.

I have also have several quality guitars, and amps, all above the price range mentioned above. Are they better than a 500 quid guitar? I would say yes, however there are exceptions to the rule such as my Robin Artiste, which I think is a cracking guitar, and cost me less than 500 2nd hand.

Cheers

Brian

I've tried the 'cheaper is better' route, purely because I have this idea that my playing does not justify me playing a LP 56 RI through a vintage 1961 AC30 (and probably doesn't -before Biz says it). But I keep coming back to the quality stuff....why, because it sounds better, plays better, feels better, and last but not least, I feel chuffed to f*ck that I've managed to claw my way through the rat race, into a position where I have the option to buy a 50 quid or 1050 quid guitar.

To answer T'o'S question, yes there might be people out there that can make a 500 quid sound the like a 2000 quid guitar...that's why they are professional. I suppose it's like any other thing is it. In general people wear better, more expensive clothes to go out on a Saturday night, than they do to go to work. Who's to say that those guys playing their 500quid guitars in front of 1000's of people, do not sit at home and cherish their 3000 quid PRS, or original late 50's or early 60's fender ($$$$$$$) etc.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I don't know the first thing about guitars so don't get me wrong with my questions, they were genuine and not just trying to be a cunt. The car analogy is pish though because an 8 year old 'luxury' car that cost the same as most people would spend on a cheaper made but newer car is not the Moon Custom Explorer to Ford Fiesta's Squier Strat :up: like I've stated repeatedly, if the difference is that big then thank you for answering my question. I guess I just can't imagine spending that much on a plank of wood with some lengths of wire nailed to it ;)

Jimmer has a few guitars all worth thousands.

I have a 14 year old BC Rich.

Jimmer's guitar sounds better than mine.

Jimmer like guitars so he spends money on them.

I like cameras

Jimmer probably has a compact camera from Jessops.

I have a 3 grand Canon

My camera is better than Jimmers.

In other words, you get what you pay for. Im a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" (as long as you have a great deal of knowledge in your interest)

I don't know the first thing about guitars so don't get me wrong with my questions, they were genuine and not just trying to be a cunt. The car analogy is pish though because an 8 year old 'luxury' car that cost the same as most people would spend on a cheaper made but newer car is not the Moon Custom Explorer to Ford Fiesta's Squier Strat :up: like I've stated repeatedly, if the difference is that big then thank you for answering my question. I guess I just can't imagine spending that much on a plank of wood with some lengths of wire nailed to it ;)

No bother man. Late night attacks! The car analogy was rather shit but it was the only thing I could think of to try and compare.

No worries though all is cool man :)

Jimmer probably has a compact camera from Jessops.

Oi! I have some Sony thing! :p

Annnnnnnnnyway - GUITAR FOR SALE! :D:D

Guest DustyDeviada

I have five guitars that cost me 1,000 plus. As Dan has said, I consider that to be a better use of my money than pissing it up against the wall in the pub or spending it on fags. In fact, since I stopped smoking a few years ago the money I have spent on guitars would probably be comparable to the money I would have spent on fags. Seems like a better use of cash to me.

I drive a 97 Volvo S40, 130,000 on the clock and ready to fall to bits at any second. When it does finally break down I will buy another second-hand car. Why? I'd rather spend my money on guitars that will hold their value or in many cases actualy appreciate - I made a profit on the last guitar I sold. Whereas you will lose a heap of money with depreciation on a new car.

As for the reason guitars cost more, well, it's usually down to materials. I've said this before, but with, say a Tokai Les Paul, chances are it will be made of plywood, have a cheap and easy to apply "poly" finish, and have cheap pickups and hardware. If you buy a Gibson Les Paul it will be made of solid mahogany/maple, have a costly and labour intesive "nitro" finish, and have better quality pickups and hardware.

If none of these things matter to you, that's fantastic, good for you. But when you start to realise WHY guitars can be more expensive, then you may start to realise why it's actually a good idea to spend a bit more on guitars.

Speaking from the investment side of things, in the early 90s, a mint condition 1959 Gibson Les Paul would have cost somewhere in the region of $30,000, a huge amount of money for a guitar I think most people would agree. However, the same guitar is now worth around $500,000. So was the guitar too expensive in 1990? Perhaps not.

As for Angel of Death's guitar, 1000 for a guitar hand made by one of the world's most respected luthiers or 500 for something that came off a factory conveyor belt in Korea. Hmm, which is better value?

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Haha, when I saw your reply I thought it was gonna be an Audi rant. If you've got the money, go nuts. A thousand pounds is a lot of money to me, and I don't think I'll be in a position to spend that kind of money on a whim for several years. Besides, I wouldn't even consider spending that kind of dough on gear, when my 40, 40+ year old snare sounds sweeter than audio nectar itself

Guest DustyDeviada

Yup, although with a baby due any day now my guitar buying days are over, just glad I was able to amass a decent collection before responsibilities kicked in. :up:

Guest Tam o' Shantie

HAHA, I have obviously hit a nerve with these questions. This is not a debate about what is better value for money - a car or a guitar? Nor do I care what other people are driving. My question, once again (maybe repeated myself 5 times now) was "is there a big difference between a 500 , recognised 'professional quality' guitar, and a hand finished custom built one costing twice as much. The answer, I think we have established, is YES. For the record, I don't smoke or 'piss money against a wall' in a pub. I go out between 2 and 4 times a month, usually at a cost of around 20 pounds a night. I'm sure most people who spend a lot of money on guitars don't bypass their social life. I just have a mortgage, council tax, electricity, tv license, car insurance, car loan, petrol, phone bill, broadband, mobile phone etc. to pay on a monthly basis and that costs a lot of money when you add it all up. I simply don't have hundreds of pounds of disposable income to fuck around with, if I did maybe I would have been less skeptical in the first place about the necessity to spend that kind of money on a guitar. Speaking of which, I believe there's one for sale.

edit...totally out of sync with other posts, can't even remember who I was responding to here

You drive an Audi. Audi's are nice cars. You could have a cheaper car, it still serves the same purpose and may satisfy other people plenty.

I completely notice differences between a guitar of this quality and a guitar of 500 quality. Resonance, fullness of notes, smoothness of the fretboard, finishing of the frets, quality of the inlays, cleanliness of the routing of the cavities, quality of transition from neck finish to body finish, quality of hardware. Man the list goes on.

Snob sounding part: Since owning guitars of this level of quality, quite simply, I don't care for anything significantly lesser in quality.

I bought an Ibanez RG Giger a while back. It retailed at 599 I think it was. I played it one day then (for a different tuning) moved onto my ESP KH. THe KH - just generally with regards to tone, general fit and finish etc. - blew away the Ibanez. The quality of it was so notably difference that it gave me no inclination to bother picking the Ibanez up anymore. Hence why I sold it and put the money towards something of the same quality (the ESP Hanneman).

What you decide as 'an absurd amount of money' is not such to me. I find it justifiable. Whether you think I'm stupid for that or not doesn't matter much, guitars are my passion and I'm happy to invest into it in such a manner.

:up:

Anyway - guitar for sale!

Totally agree with you

You could buy a Historic 58 reissue les paul for about 4 grand and then buy an epiphone les paul for about 400.

I wonder which one will play better, feel better, sound better and look better.

If you have the money to buy it then why not.

Haha, when I saw your reply I thought it was gonna be an Audi rant. If you've got the money, go nuts. A thousand pounds is a lot of money to me, and I don't think I'll be in a position to spend that kind of money on a whim for several years. Besides, I wouldn't even consider spending that kind of dough on gear, when my 40, 40+ year old snare sounds sweeter than audio nectar itself

Two to look at this.

hmmm! 40 quid eh! was that forty quid, 40 years ago? If so it must have been a might good bit of kit considering the average weekly wage must have been, well not a lot, I suppose less than 40 quid, although I remember getting 6 bob (30p) for my sunday paper round.

Hmmm! 40 quid, was that what you paid for a 40year snare which sounds like "audio nectar" it must have been a quality piece of kit even then. I bet it cost a bob or bob. Probably the original owner thought 'shite this is quite a bit of money I'm spending on some wood, old animal skin, and some skinny old bolts to hold it together.

I'll be honest, i completely agree with Angel of death on this one.

I have a 500 guitar. I also have a 1600 guitar.

It isn't even close which one is nicer to play, and which one sounds better - even though they have the same pickups in. Like he also says, it does come down to musical snobbery - but if you enjoy it, and can afford it then I'd much rather spend 5000 on a good musical set up then constantly pissing it down the pub/on fags which was a heap of people I end up doing with their paychecks.

Totally agree with you as well my fellow Diezel player!

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Yup, although with a baby due any day now my guitar buying days are over, just glad I was able to amass a decent collection before responsibilities kicked in. :up:

congratulations :up:

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Two to look at this.

hmmm! 40 quid eh! was that forty quid, 40 years ago? If so it must have been a might good bit of kit considering the average weekly wage must have been, well not a lot, I suppose less than 40 quid, although I remember getting 6 bob (30p) for my sunday paper round.

Hmmm! 40 quid, was that what you paid for a 40year snare which sounds like "audio nectar" it must have been a quality piece of kit even then. I bet it cost a bob or bob. Probably the original owner thought 'shite this is quite a bit of money I'm spending on some wood, old animal skin, and some skinny old bolts to hold it together.

It cost me 40 quid at the beginning of 2004, so in today's money it would set me back at least 43+. Don't know much about the snare but it is pretty typical of the style back then, when I suppose a bit more hand assembly/care went into the production. It's not a well known brand, as it was bought over by Premier in the late 60s I believe and just integrated into their company. Don't really understand your post. As far as I know, this wasn't a special snare in its day or anything, it's just a nice sounding shell that compares with a lot of nice and much more expensive snares out there. I could spend a few hundred and get something nicer, but it does the job and sounds great in the process already so I won't.

It cost me 40 quid at the beginning of 2004, so in today's money it would set me back at least 43+. Don't know much about the snare but it is pretty typical of the style back then, when I suppose a bit more hand assembly/care went into the production. It's not a well known brand, as it was bought over by Premier in the late 60s I believe and just integrated into their company. Don't really understand your post. As far as I know, this wasn't a special snare in its day or anything, it's just a nice sounding shell that compares with a lot of nice and much more expensive snares out there. I could spend a few hundred and get something nicer, but it does the job and sounds great in the process already so I won't.

"I suppose a bit more hand assembly/care went into the production."

So chances are it was a better quality snare than some others at the time. Therefore there's also a good chance that it cost more. So cost=quality=happiness even after 40 years.

BTW I have a guitar in the house that was cheap as chips in the 70's, it sounded and played shite then, and still does. I also have 1980 LP custom which was not cheap then, but sounded great then. Does it still sound great...no,...it is getting better every year.

I think you have answered your own question with the quote above, so now this thread can be laid to rest, unless AOD still has a guitar for sale.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
"I suppose a bit more hand assembly/care went into the production."

So chances are it was a better quality snare than some others at the time. Therefore there's also a good chance that it cost more. So cost=quality=happiness even after 40 years.

BTW I have a guitar in the house that was cheap as chips in the 70's, it sounded and played shite then, and still does. I also have 1980 LP custom which was not cheap then, but sounded great then. Does it still sound great...no,...it is getting better every year.

I think you have answered your own question with the quote above, so now this thread can be laid to rest, unless AOD still has a guitar for sale.

No you tool, the chances are that drums weren't commonly mass produced in assembly-line factories back then. Are you fucking illiterate? How many times do you have to read my posts? Is this like a re-enactment of a Father Ted sketch? I am well aware that expensive equipment is superior to cheap equipment. I was wondering where people drew the line, and my question has been answered. How many fucking times do I need to make this statement? Is there no end to your stupidity? Would you like me to post pictures to help you understand my point?

Guest DustyDeviada

So where do we draw the line then? The most I've spent on a guitar is $2700, worked out about 1400. Is that the line that we've established? Because I would probably spend more if I had it and I could afford to.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I'd like you to post pictures.

I'm very busy right now so I hope this webcam picture I took of myself will suffice

frustration.jpg

Guest DustyDeviada
Aye ditto!

When is the little Dustette due - date-wise?

Cheers dudes, 16th March.

:rolleyes:

2895 :O

So what was that on? In my defence the 1400 went on my limited edition flametop 1954 reissue Les Paul which I would class as an amazing deal, I would guess it's worth a fair bit more now that Les Paul has signed it and I have pics of him with it, but I'll never sell it anyway.

Plus, aren't you 17 or something?! How can you afford to spend three grand on guitars?!

Cheers dudes, 16th March.

Congrats! :D

So what was that on?

My Dean USA DFH (the Dime).

In my defence the 1400 went on my limited edition flametop 1954 reissue Les Paul which I would class as an amazing deal, I would guess it's worth a fair bit more now that Les Paul has signed it and I have pics of him with it, but I'll never sell it anyway.

Very nice! Have you clear coated the sig? Or is it somewhere smart that it won't rub off from playing e.g. inside of control cavity?

Plus, aren't you 17 or something?! How can you afford to spend three grand on guitars?!

19 :up: Work and savings. I don't buy much stuff that isn't music related, so I have enough to use on instruments. :up:

Guest DustyDeviada
Very nice! Have you clear coated the sig? Or is it somewhere smart that it won't rub off from playing e.g. inside of control cavity?

No, but it's behind the headstock, so not much contact there, should hopefully be OK.

I bumped into Slash just after I bought my other Les Paul, he signed the pickguard (which I haven't fitted), and I have had a coating put on that one.