aberdeen-music

Crate Powerblock

Alkaline

I have one. For £50 it is worth it. Very light, and the tone is defintely passable. Quite a dark, kind of old mark series Mesa sound - low mids. To just be able to chuck it in your bag, it's very handy.

I use to power thw wet side of a wet/dry tig in our practise room. But its main use is as a bass head. Does a very good job at it.

There are some crate amps with a silver V near the top - combos. They sound pretty nice, and the palomino ones have been getting a good write up. Billy Gibbons plays the V thing-y combo.

Guest DustyDeviada
I like the Crate vintage club amps, they're nice. Like everything else, Crate amps are built to a price so some of the cheaper models aren't so great.

Yep, it's a Vintage Club model that I have (and that Knopfler used ;) ).

While I'm biased in that I am a huge Knopfler fan, and I should point out that he doesn't use them anymore, I think it says something about the Crate amps that 10 years ago Knopfler, who has sold over 100 million albums, and could afford any amp in the world, was playing a 1959 Les Paul, worth 100,000 + and the holy grail of electric guitars, through a 600 Crate amp.

I've played Fender amps that were crap and Marshall amps that were crap, but if someone posted a thread on here asking for advice about a particular Fender or Marshall amp I wouldn't post a reply telling them to steer clear of them.

Tempted to get a Powerblock myself, can't go wrong for 50.

That's the thing, i wouldn't've been so bothered if either of them had actually played one and said it was shit because then their opinions would have been valid. But that's not the way Maxi works unfortunatley, any chance for a sly dig or a chance to claim he's superior over everyone and he goes for it. It's a bit pathetic but i guess it works for him.

Anyway, i am tempted to buy one for a couple of reasons:

1. It'd be portable for myself and Genevieve to take to gigs as a back up for all three of our amps and not take up that much extra space. Contrary to popular belief, i am in a band and although we're not playing at the moment (mainly as we're writing new tunes to accomodate a line-up change) we will be playing again in the not too distant future.

2. I could use it as a dedicated amp for our drum machine and sampler.

3. I could use it as a Bass head

4. I could use it as a half-decent practice amp at home without it taking up too much space in the flat and it would allow me to get rid of my Line6 amp which is a shiteload bigger.

5. It's only 49 at the moment.

6. I have only seen a few reviews that haven't given it a glowing reference and they weren't even particluarly bad reviews either.

As for me thinking that the DSL100 is the 'best amp in the world', i can't remember ever saying that, well i like it- it suits my band's sound (in our opinion) it's got a nice tone, now that i've had a few gigs with it and a couple of hundred hours practice to get used to it.

Ultimately if i had the money there are numerous amps that i'd rather have, but unfortunately i don't have tons of cash. It is a reliable solidly built amp that many respected touring musicians use (who care's if it doesn't suit a chef and a crusty ;) ) and i'm glad i bought it. Whether other folks like it or not i don't really care as it more than suits my needs at the moment. :)

well

i was playing one of these things today (through a mesa 4 x12) and i can confirm that i was correct in my presumption. this is merely a (poor) practice amp and definetly not worthy of being used for anything but practicing with a hoover on the go or fuelling a fire

the clean was decent until i turned it up, the gain was poop full stop

i was playing through a beautiful old school telecaster, marvellous guitar, and absolute dream to play and def made my shopping list

christ id rather spend 200 on getting a sound city 50w, which would be more than adequate as a gigging amp as well as a back up.

rotten.

but each to their own i guess.

well

i was playing one of these things today (through a mesa 4 x12) and i can confirm that i was correct in my presumption. this is merely a (poor) practice amp and definetly not worthy of being used for anything but practicing with a hoover on the go or fuelling a fire

the clean was decent until i turned it up, the gain was poop full stop

i was playing through a beautiful old school telecaster, marvellous guitar, and absolute dream to play and def made my shopping list

christ id rather spend 200 on getting a sound city 50w, which would be more than adequate as a gigging amp as well as a back up.

rotten.

but each to their own i guess.

Cool, cheers for the info :)