aberdeen-music

Out of tune harmonica/moothie

StewCat

If it's a decent one like a Hohner Marine band/blues harp type then you possibly can. They come to bits easily and I think you can order new reeds etc. It could just be dust, pocket fluff or bits of breakfast stuck in the reeds, so it's worth having a look and a good clean. But tbh if you need to buy new parts I doubt it's worth the hassle, probably best just get a new one. And remember to break it in. Play it gently for the first wee while before you go for the heartbreaking bends and wails. You need to let the wood season a bit so it expands to fill any gaps. Although I once saw Dr Feelgood, and Lee Brilleaux (RIP) just kept dunking his harps into his pint for the same effect...

Guest DustyDeviada

OK, while we're on the subject of moothies, I'd like to get a moothie bracket so I can do the singer/songwriter acoustic moothie thang a la Bob Dylan, Steve Earle, Kris Kristoferson etc.

Questions:

Where do I get the bracket?

What type of moothie would I get to play along with folkie type songs in, say, the key of G to start of with?

Guest DustyDeviada
1. Bruce Millers sell, or can at least order the brackets.

2. I'd imagine a Moothie in the key of 'G' would do the trick ;)

You might want to check on that before being a smart arse! My understanding is that you need a moothie in a different key, hence the question. Somebody more knowledgable can wade in to confirm...

You might want to check on that before being a smart arse! My understanding is that you need a moothie in a different key, hence the question. Somebody more knowledgable can wade in to confirm...

Well the first answer stands grumpy chops.

Why would you need a moothie in a different key from the one you're wanting to use it for.... Serious question?

EDIT:

Actually- If you want to play along to a song, you play in the 1st position which is in the actual key of the harmonica, so in this case it would be a harmonica in the key of 'G' that you require. If you wanted to play a more blues or country style piece i think you could use a harmonica in the key of 'C' in the second position.

You're right that you can use a harp in the 'wrong' key. This is called 'cross harp'. If you were to use a G harp, you would get the notes of the G major scale starting with the first hole as a G, and you'd miss out the bluesier minor notes. But if you cross harp, in this case use a C harp, then you can play a nice blues scale to fit the key of G. The root note of the key becomes the draw (sucking in) on the second hole up.

Pretty much all the blues players used cross harp, but I think Dylan and the folkier type people actually just used straight harp anyway. So a G harp would probably give you the Dylan sound, but it's worth experimenting with both straight and cross. To get the right cross harp for the song, get a harp four notes up. ie for a song in G, get a C harp. For a tune in E, get an A etc.

Guest DustyDeviada
EDIT:

Actually- If you want to play along to a song you play in the 1st position which is in the key of the harmonica, so in this case it would be a harmonica in the key of 'G' that you require. If you wanted to play a more blues or country style piece i think you could use a harmonica in the key of 'C' in the second position.

So the first answer DOESN'T stand then? ;)

So the first answer DOESN'T stand then? ;)

The first answer in question does stand because you can use a harmonica in 'G' to play in 'G'.

Though in that case the first answer in question was in reference to the bracket.

Pop that in your pipe and smoke it ;)

And Frosty has just confirmed what i said anyway. So get that up ye too.

Guest DustyDeviada
The first answer in question does stand because you can use a harmonica in 'G' to play in 'G'.

Though in that case the first answer in question was in reference to the bracket.

Pop that in your pipe and smoke it ;)

And Frosty has just confirmed what i said anyway. So get that up ye too.

My arse, you were trying to be smart and got called by others with clearly superior knowledge, you should just be a man, admit your inferiority and move on with your life. ;)

My arse, you were trying to be smart and got called by others with clearly superior knowledge, you should just be a man, admit your inferiority and move on with your life. ;)

Nah, i knew you could play in the same key. And who did i get called by? My post was in before Frosty, even my edit.

Anyhoo, i play a little bit of moothie myself but i've only ever delved into stuff in the same key.

I'll go for Larry Adler as the best moothie man, here's a youtube clip from the excellent album "The Glory of Gershwin".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NZ2c25_Rk

i'll have to give it a listen the next time i'm not on at work. paul lamb is an absolute demon live tho. if you get the chance, you should check him out with the king snakes in january in the lemon tree. chances are i'll come ujp for that one too. seen them a few times already and i can't get enough!

/x

i'll have to give it a listen the next time i'm not on at work. paul lamb is an absolute demon live tho. if you get the chance, you should check him out with the king snakes in january in the lemon tree. chances are i'll come ujp for that one too. seen them a few times already and i can't get enough!

/x

Paul Lamb and the King Snakes are shit hot live. The upright bassist is something else.

having been born there, i'm all about the motown! i strongly considered going to see them both of the two they were playing there at that time, but it was heavily frowned upon by my good lady, despite her appreciating their work!

/x

I must admit I really love seeing bands at the Links. It's incredibley intimate.

Lolo Meyer and Tcha Limberger are definately my best memory, although Paul Lamb comes a very close second.

unfortunately that has been my only venture there for a gig and being in edinburgh now i don't head home often but i'd definately go there again if i was nearer. certainly beats the nightclub round the other side!!

/x

Haha, it's like a different world 100 yards away...

Definately not top of my list of reasons to go visiting the folks.