aberdeen-music

starfall, cleartone, apraxia & bench

Guest alex.

Guest alex.

this gig was at the lemon tree on saturday, didn't realy see many "faces" so this is most likely not going to have any kind of response...

first band on bench very unceremonious beginning to their set, i liked the fact there also was an intro to "the set". as i'm pretty much a novice when it comes to ethereal and ghostly sounding stuff like they do i'm not really sure whether to cite influences, to me it sounded quite a lot like radiohead, who i'm not overly keen on, but the hauntingness of a lot of the music, especially the vocals was awesome. tim seems to be an awesome singer, but that wasn't really allowed to shine through and towards the end i started to wonder about getting another drink.

7/10

apraxia i really enjoyed, much to the derision of those i was with. i'd seen them before, but i'd been at the back of a vey crowded drummonds and not really been able to see the band or hear anything that clearly.

much better this time! i was very impressed with the style they were going for, like early incubus which i'm a total fan of. something truly original in aberdeen! a fair bit of energy on stage was very welcome, especially from the bass player. my only criticism was the new song they told us they'd written only a week before sounded exactly like that - a new song, and not fully practiced.

very enjoyable though!

8/10

up next cleartone well first, i want my money back. the guitar tones were anything but clear. i was almost shocked to hear how fuzzy the guitars were, perhaps to do with an array of pedals more than anything else, but still...

frontman - although having a pretty good voice really didn't sound like he meant any of the words he was singing, there appeared to be little to no emotion and it all looked a little done by numbers...

6/10

starfall were the only band on the night i had seen before. that was ages ago at henry j bean's and this performance (with a new member) pissed all over that from a great height. luke's vocals and general stage persona seem much more comfortable, he looked like he was really enjoying being on stage. kat (for her second live gig i think) was great and the fortress of doom was bringing the pain on keyboards. i think a criticism of the performance at HJB's was a lack of energy on stage, this couldn't have been said of saturday night.

just a shame a significant proportion of the crowd left after cleartone ( i hate that), there should have been more people there to see another of aberdeen's properly original bands play one of the only gigs their doing in aberdeen this year.

9/10

I thought it was a good gig and had a great time.

Bench - Thanks for the comments Alex! We have a few technical problems, but we still enjoyed playing.

Apraxia - I don't really listen to the sort of music they play but I thought they were great! They are all pretty impressive musicians. The first song they played was my favourite. I almost bought a cd but I forgot. I did hear a friends copy the next day though and it was sounding good.

ClearTone - This was the third time I'd seen them and definitely the best. I prefer their new songs to the older ones. They have some cool riffs as well. Also thanks to Paul for organising the whole gig.

Starfall - Missed alot of them as we were trying to get our equipment home so I didn't see enough to really comment. What I did hear was sounding pretty interesting though.

i dont agree with 9/10 for starfall...they werent that good...it was funny, (crazy techno goths!) but apart from that, they werent great.

apraxia were the best out of the whole night, they should have been the ones headlining! they were the best local band ive ever heard! at least i think they were local...were they not? :D

Aye Apraxia indeed were good - but I have to say that all the bands had a good night. I enjoyed Bench very much, I thought that Saturday was the best I had seen Apraxia play.... and Starfall...well lets be fair, they are different - they played a good set of very original material, their music is an acquired taste thats all... But hell I enjoyed the whole thing!

Guest alex.
Originally posted by ingramicity:

i dont agree with 9/10 for starfall...they werent that good...it was funny, (crazy techno goths!) but apart from that, they werent great.

that's your opinion, i reckon people should get extra points for doing something a bit different, and although "crazy techno goths" aren't that uncommon, in aberdeen they are.