aberdeen-music

Ok, Little Wing...

Guest MKII

A beautiful song, heres a lovely live version by the man who wrote it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fgrWLTzVuo&mode=related&search=

8-) :love:

THEN, here is a horrible, disgusting wank fest!!! o_O :down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNMItx_akpo

All the proof I need to know that Steve Vai and Mymjgymie fat face are ferkin shit... Ol' satch shows some taste and restraint atleast.

A beautiful song, heres a lovely live version by the man who wrote it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fgrWLTzVuo&mode=related&search=

8-) :love:

THEN, here is a horrible, disgusting wank fest!!! o_O :down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNMItx_akpo

All the proof I need to know that Steve Vai and Mymjgymie fat face are ferkin shit... Ol' satch shows some taste and restraint atleast.

Version 1: Barring Band of Gypsies, that's the best live recording of Hendrix I've ever heard.

Version 2: Jeez, get a room.

Guest Gregor Ascension

i am. im a bit confused to why the g3 take on the song is so shit? silly widdlers? you dont have to hold one note for 30 minutes to play with feeling. Malmsteen plays with as much 'feeling' as anyone, if you dismiss these guys as nothing but mindless noodlers, then you just a moron. i see no shred overkill there, apart from malmsteen maybe, whose style has always been full on. but come on, what would you have rather have had? play the song exactly like jimi did and bring nothing at all knew to it, or an interpretation which is good for what it is.. its not ment to be the album version. get a grip.

i am. im a bit confused to why the g3 take on the song is so shit? silly widdlers? you dont have to hold one note for 30 minutes to play with feeling. Malmsteen plays with as much 'feeling' as anyone, if you dismiss these guys as nothing but mindless noodlers, then you just a moron. i see no shred overkill there, apart from malmsteen maybe, whose style has always been full on. but come on, what would you have rather have had? play the song exactly like jimi did and bring nothing at all knew to it, or an interpretation which is good for what it is.. its not ment to be the album version. get a grip.

How do you propose I 'get a grip' exactly? You're entitled to an oppinion, but don't call me a moron.

I would have rather had a cover that didn't try and change a beautifully fluent song into a widdle-fest. Jimi and SRV made the song impressive in their own way without going OTT, but G3 (with the exception of Satch to some extent) seems to have to add in sweep picking and lengthy lightning fast fingerwork every bloody time for some reason. Sure, they're putting their own spin on it, but why? They've just taken Little Wing and battered into a generic G3 song.

And knowing Malmsteen's style, he wasn't going for 'full on' but was probably trying to outdo Hendrix.

Sigh

*UNIVERSAL INTERNET DISCUSSION DISCLAIMER*

All opinions posted in this thread are subjective and equally valid.

In many ways the G3 version would have been better if Malmsteen unleashed "the fury".

Guest Gregor Ascension
How do you propose I 'get a grip' exactly? You're entitled to an oppinion, but don't call me a moron.

I would have rather had a cover that didn't try and change a beautifully fluent song into a widdle-fest. Jimi and SRV made the song impressive in their own way without going OTT, but G3 (with the exception of Satch to some extent) seems to have to add in sweep picking and lengthy lightning fast fingerwork every bloody time for some reason. Sure, they're putting their own spin on it, but why? They've just taken Little Wing and battered into a generic G3 song.

And knowing Malmsteen's style, he wasn't going for 'full on' but was probably trying to outdo Hendrix.

outdo hendrix? thats just rediculous.. malmsteen was playing the way he always play. to some this is too much and over the top, but thats just malmsten for you. guitar playing has come along way since hendrix. 'outdoing him' was never the goal, there are hundreds of guys out there that could 'outdo' malmsteen.. that doesnt make his music shit.

fair enough.. this kind of instrumental guitar music is clearly not popular on here, judging by the concencus of this thread, and a few others recently. i dont go around dogshiiting the types of music you guys like, so dismiss it as shallow fretboard wanking or whatever if it makes yourself feel better about playing the three chords that you have. it just exposes your snobbery as musicians.

Why don't you lot get together and come up with collaborative effort - you could call it "Handbags at 50 Paces".

Moderators - please cancel my subscription, it's been great, but if I wanted to listen to a bunch of otherwise intelligent folk mudslinging each other, I'd stand for Parliament and get a seat in the House of Commons.

A debate ceases to become a debate when the protaganists start calling each other names and hurl insults.

...and it's goodnight from me.

Guest bluesxman

One of my favourite Hendrix songs.

Hendrix version = great, and a prime example of why less is sometimes more.

Other version = I have no idea which idiot is which, but if I had to make a comedy video depicting all that is bad about rock music it would include all those clothes, ludicrous 'this solo hurts' rock faces and the version of the song itself.

outdo hendrix? thats just rediculous.. malmsteen was playing the way he always play. to some this is too much and over the top, but thats just malmsten for you. guitar playing has come along way since hendrix. 'outdoing him' was never the goal, there are hundreds of guys out there that could 'outdo' malmsteen.. that doesnt make his music shit.

fair enough.. this kind of instrumental guitar music is clearly not popular on here, judging by the concencus of this thread, and a few others recently. i dont go around dogshiiting the types of music you guys like, so dismiss it as shallow fretboard wanking or whatever if it makes yourself feel better about playing the three chords that you have. it just exposes your snobbery as musicians.

I don't get why you're taking this as a personal attack man.

I've never seen Hendrix's music described as ' three chord' before though.

Guest Gregor Ascension

i would never describe hendrix as only having used three chords, that wasnt the point i was trying to make.. hell im a fan of jimi!

the point with that comment is that its seems that theres alot of people out there who will jump on the chance to rubbish people like yngwie, vai, satch and the rest.. if you want mindless shred links.. go to youtube and type in Tiago Della or Francesco Fareri.

there is a vast difference better players such as Michael Angelo Batio and Yngwie Malmsteen. one is a circus attraction and the other is a musician. just because something is fast, doesnt mean it has no feeling.. its not many peoples cup of tea, but meh.. i dont like the arctic monkeys.

black matter, define 'feeling' with regards to playing the guitar. because if you want to bend strings and wank out vibrato technique

for an entire song, then that is fine.. but dont tell me there is no feeling in the styles of those guitar players. steve vai has one of the most unique phrasing techniques of any guitar player in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14rxZjGzo1c

I didn't say that a widdle-fest was always terrible. Just that it is often uncalled for...for instance in this cover of a Hendrix classic.

Also, who gives a damn about this 'feeling' phenomenon? It either sounds good, or it doesn't. I for one don't care how twisted in ecstacy the guitarists face is, or how big the jizz stain on his spandex is.

I like the Hendrix and SRV versions best. The G3 version showed some great skills.......but, and here's what I see it as, it looked like a second rate boy or girl band in that they ALL had to have a twiddle at it, just like the aforementioned band types all have to sing a verse etc, even if it makes no contribution to the song.

very techy though.

The G3 version wasn't half as bad as I expected after all the above comments. I don't quite see how it was just a wank fest? If you knew anything about Vai or Satch, you'd realise that this was pretty mild for them. Malmsteen was guilty of over endulging, but overall, it wasn't anything that bad?

To wank or not wank... that is the question.