aberdeen-music

John Petrucci or Jimi Hendrix?

ingramicity

Originally posted by Mouse:

It would be different if you put Petrucci back in that time warp, he'd be worshipped more than Hendrix.

he ok, also in the same way you could put kurt cobain, james hetfield or tom delonge into 1960 they would be far more revolutionary - time warps dont exist

Originally posted by Turnham Green:

Well, he wasn't around in those days, so it's a tad silly to say he'd be more worshipped.

I'd be willing to bet that Petrucci doesn't see himself in the same league as Hendrix, and going by interviews of other guitarists no one else does either!

I was meaning in the aspect that rules todays world, where popular must mean better.

I'd agree with the last part. On a related note Mike Portnoy doesn't seem himself better than his influences

Guest Scott 5FD
Originally posted by bryn:

tom delonge into 1960 they would be far more revolutionary

so he could show the world how to play power chords?

or because he has taught heaps of people that with a few power chords you can form a band and play some songs.

come to think of it DeLonge has been pretty revolutinary for quite alot of people...

Originally posted by Turnham Green:

Hehe, I was meaning that I haven't read that any guitarist thinks they are better than Hendrix, he's seen as the absolute master really!

Hm, who does think they are better than their influences?

I dont know if this is agreeing or disagreeing, but... even if these top guitarists did think they were better than their influences, they aren't going to say so, I think you'll find they'd be quite modest about it if asked, its only really the shite guitarists that go putting down other players.

Originally posted by Scott 5FD:

or because he (delonge) has taught heaps of people that with a few power chords you can form a band and play some songs.

.....as though tom delonge invented punk?

i was using him as an example of modern guitar playing to support the idea that many revolutionary guitarists of today wouldve made a larger impact back in the day hence - Cobain, Hetfield, if anything its should be seen as a compliment to shitty punk crap delonge.

Guest highroller

to be honest delonge is quite a riffy guitarist and thats one of the special things about blink as a punk band if you like...they have alot of riffs which is one reason why i never understood the green day comparisons...nothing like each other at all!!