aberdeen-music

Publishing deals

Volta

It seems fairly par for the course with this forum nowadays that a thread which could be of assistance to some people descends instead to petty bickering about something which has little to do with the topic. Which was fine when it was the Wasteland, but the music discussion forum is increasingly becoming a waste of time (at least from my perspective), which is a shame.

Unfortunately, I'm tempted to agree with this opinion. I would strongly like to stress to people that if you cannot not make a constructive and helpful reply to a thread such as this then please don't bother replying. Otherwise, you’re wasting everyone's time and that of your own as well as ultimately undermining the web site's purpose.

Keep damaging the web site enough and people will stop using it. And when people stop using the web site it will disappear.

Now let's get back on topic please...

Wow, didn't realise this would spark this kind of debate.

I know there's a lot of information on the internet already about publishing deals/companies, you just have to spend the time researching. The TAXI website has some very informative articles for example although I would never join this comany. They're only a U.S. song plugger who charge you a few hundred buck a year. Some good free articles though! http://www.taxi.com/faq/index.html

I also found a great website detailing U.K publishers website/contact details and whether they were seeking material or not. A lot of bands/songwriters send out demos to companies that wont listen to them for legal reasons or that aint even working in the same genre as the artist. There's no point in just sending out a hundred demos to any company you can find. Waste of time and money.

Some publishing comanies will also help bands with development deals and will record demos or even albums to plug to record comapanies or management. KT Turnstall also got a publishing deal first before getting a record deal further down the line. So if your in a band looking for a record deal, it might be worth targeting publishing companies aswell.(especially of the independant variety, my personal opinion)

I'll find the website and post the link if anyones interested?

Wow, didn't realise this would spark this kind of debate.

I know there's a lot of information on the internet already about publishing deals/companies, you just have to spend the time researching. The TAXI website has some very informative articles for example although I would never join this comany. They're only a U.S. song plugger who charge you a few hundred buck a year. Some good free articles though! http://www.taxi.com/faq/index.html

I also found a great website detailing U.K publishers website/contact details and whether they were seeking material or not. A lot of bands/songwriters send out demos to companies that wont listen to them for legal reasons or that aint even working in the same genre as the artist. There's no point in just sending out a hundred demos to any company you can find. Waste of time and money.

Some publishing comanies will also help bands with development deals and will record demos or even albums to plug to record comapanies or management. KT Turnstall also got a publishing deal first before getting a record deal further down the line. So if your in a band looking for a record deal, it might be worth targeting publishing companies aswell.(especially of the independant variety, my personal opinion)

I'll find the website and post the link if anyones interested?

Yeah, I'd be interested thanks. I've had so many people saying that certain songs of mine sound like they belong on film soundtracks that it's an option I'm looking at exploring. I can imagine worse ways to make a living. In fact, I know worse ways to make a living.

http://www.mpaonline.org.uk

Here ya go. The search facility is on the right and it includes hundreds of UK publishers that you can search by genres and whether they accept material. Think you can also search by companies looking for music for t.v. and films. I've found it pretty useful so far.

Regards

Thanks, much appreciated!

Anyone know which organisations provide publishing deals?

sony, bmg etc plus smaller companies like reverb, and perfect songs (trevor horn's company). there are loads of them. there's a new one in brighton we met up with last week and they said they pitch for tv commercials, video game soundtracks etc and if they get you something, they take 25%, which is probably less than most... although they wanted an exclusive contract for a year (going to send it to our lawyer to check over).

sony, bmg etc plus smaller companies like reverb, and perfect songs (trevor horn's company). there are loads of them. there's a new one in brighton we met up with last week and they said they pitch for tv commercials, video game soundtracks etc and if they get you something, they take 25%, which is probably less than most... although they wanted an exclusive contract for a year (going to send it to our lawyer to check over).

Nice, that's the sort of thing that I'd be interested in, if anybody was actually stupid enough to reciprocate the interest. The video game soundtrack route sounds quite interesting, I'm friends with a band that got onto a couple of soundtracks recently. I'll have to ask how they did it... but 25% doesn't sound too bad.

Nice, that's the sort of thing that I'd be interested in, if anybody was actually stupid enough to reciprocate the interest. The video game soundtrack route sounds quite interesting, I'm friends with a band that got onto a couple of soundtracks recently. I'll have to ask how they did it... but 25% doesn't sound too bad.

aye, i'm guessing most will take more than 25% tho...

for the xbox thing, microsoft just called us out of the blue. we have all our contact details on our myspazz. 'soccer am' called tonite too and we've never sent them anything. w00t.

i can send you microsoft contact if you want... they were gonna use the band on a driving game (shock) but it just fell thru at the last minute... would've got over 2,000 for it. bah.

There are agencies around that will keep your stuff on their books on a non-exclusive basis, specifically for these kinds of markets. http://www.aclearidea.com/ for example.