aberdeen-music

using samples with guitar

incredibledisc

Does anyone know of a good way of using pre-recorded samples on stage without actually using a sampler per se?

To clarify, our band usually writes stuff on a pc based home studio using Cakewalk. This gives us the ability to multi-track, add midi and employ samples of flims, sound effects etc.

However, replicating these recordings in a live environment is pretty near impossible using our current setup.

I've been looking at various stomp boxes eg. Boss RC series and Digitech Jamman but am not really sure if these would do the trick. I want to be able to rip audio from a dvd/cd etc to pc and then load onto the pedal and then trigger the sample at the appropriate point during songs.

Any ideas/suggestions?

You could use a laptop with kontakt or gigastudio. Looking at the Jamman spec list it looks like you can transfer samples from your PC with USB and cycle through them using an optional 3 button footswitch. You could always try a Boss Dr Sample with a midi footswitch trigger.

I got a Boss RC20XL earlier this year, and it does pretty much exactly what you're describing. It's got a jack input especially for a pre-recorded source, and really easy to work it with just your feet.

I used it with my old band to play keyboard loops and lately some fuzzed bass lines, while playing guitar. You can also dub and undo dubs still just using your feet, which is bloody handy. 16 minutes of recording time in total is pretty handy too.

There are a number of ways you could do this but I would suggest just bullying a friend into pressing the play button on a CD player live at appropriate moments. Put each sample onto a seperate track on a CD and set the CD player to play only one track then pause at the beginnign of the next.

You can trigger samples using a midi note signal or programme change. Maybe add each sample to a seperate track on a CD, get a CD player which you can play tracks indvidually, triggered with a midi signal, you would also have to get a midi controller, there are some relatively cheap ones around but you may still find it cheaper and easier investing in a sampler. You still need some way of controlling it live though

Guest texjamm
There are a number of ways you could do this but I would suggest just bullying a friend into pressing the play button on a CD player live at appropriate moments. Put each sample onto a seperate track on a CD and set the CD player to play only one track then pause at the beginnign of the next.

You can trigger samples using a midi note signal or programme change. Maybe add each sample to a seperate track on a CD, get a CD player which you can play tracks indvidually, triggered with a midi signal, you would also have to get a midi controller, there are some relatively cheap ones around but you may still find it cheaper and easier investing in a sampler. You still need some way of controlling it live though

We do a similar thing:

Mix midi / audio in Cubase. Pan instruments left and click track right.

Record to standard CD

Play left track of CD through the FOH.

Right track gets fed only to the drummer (headphones).

Drummer plays to click track whilst pre-recorded sounds come out of the PA at the appropriate time.

The only drawbacks are that:

1) the drummer needs to be able to follow the click :up: and

2) You have to plan the song out beforehand and keep to it. You cannot add that extra lead break on the night!

Using a willing friend and a CD player will only work if the samples are not rhythm dependent due to the start-up time on most Cd players, even from pause. Also, willing friends need to know when to hit the button, i.e. be rehearsed. I suppose you could use a "foot controller" for that though.

In fact if the samples are rhythm dependent using a click track is the only way (that I know) to ensure that you're playing at the right tempo when you trigger the sample, unless the sample constantly provides the rhythm that you all play to. Aside from the difficulties pointed out by texjamm, when this method goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong, you have to be rehearsed to the hilt and pray the CD player doesn't jump.

Using a willing friend and a CD player will only work if the samples are not rhythm dependent due to the start-up time on most Cd players, even from pause. Also, willing friends need to know when to hit the button, i.e. be rehearsed. I suppose you could use a "foot controller" for that though.

In fact if the samples are rhythm dependent using a click track is the only way (that I know) to ensure that you're playing at the right tempo when you trigger the sample, unless the sample constantly provides the rhythm that you all play to. Aside from the difficulties pointed out by texjamm, when this method goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong, you have to be rehearsed to the hilt and pray the CD player doesn't jump.

At present time, most of the samples being used are non-rhythmic so click track not an issue.

Call me lazy, but alternatively you could find friends who can play the required instruments and get them to join your musical crusade.

If you know anyone that can act out movie samples or orchestral segues without taking up any space on stage then please forward their phone number to me...:D