aberdeen-music

Lyrics...

Guest Satyam Shivam Sundaram

I'm trying to write lyrics for a load of songs(music with no words) that I've had for awhile, I dont have a problem writing music, but I've never been prolific at writing words, averageing at about two complete songs a year(hehe).

I find it easy to start of writing, but I find it difficult to finish lyrics off...

What are your opinions, thoughts, ways of writing etc?

Guest ForbiddenFruitcake

i've never had problems with writing the words, but i'm terrible with writing the music, lucky are those who can do both! i just tend to pour all my thoughts onto the page and the fit it all together and rewrite it. but see, when i say it like that, it totally doesnt make sense, and sounds very clinical, whereas in reality it can be very emotional.

Originally posted by ForbiddenFruitcake:

ah the woes of trying to explain something on an internet message board...:(

Hehe, yes indeed!

Could you maybe show me an example by pm or here?

Grab free postcards or evocative images off the internet. Carry them around and jot down phrases inspired by looking at the pics. Eventually you'll have enough to build a little story - write it and then break it down into lines that scan. Easy?

Take a look at the lyrics page at www.lofimusic.co.uk/iansimpson/lyrics.html for examples (I Stop, Why I Ran In Fear Of My Life, Happiness. Shared., etc.)

Guest Scott 5FD

i like to start off with an idea or a concept, say something like problems in society. i'll then just think off what some of these problems are i.e. homlessness, high tax, suicide rates etc., write them all down and then start to piece them together in a lyrical context.

i find it harder to write songs about personal experiences without them sounding cheesey. for example, i've went through some personal problems that would make good material for songs, but i don't want them to sound like their 'attention-seeking' lyrics, if you know what i mean.

it's also best not to sit down with the purpose of writing a song. take a notebook and just go outside and walk around, writing down what you see and feel. you'll be surprised with some of the things you come up with.

i get scenarios in my head that would probably be better suited for a short story, but i just try to condense them into a shorter form without losing the main ideas. ocassionally i'll come up with a line, just a single line that i really like and then i can build something around that one line.

Guest AX FAE TX

THE HARD BIT, I THINK - IS GETTING YOUR ARSE IN GEAR.

YOU NEED TO GET A WRITING PAD AND PEN AND KEEP IT ON YOU ALL THE TIME.

EVERYTIME YOU HEAR SOMETHING OR SEE SOMETHING THAT CATCHES YOUR EYE.

WRITE IT DOWN.

THERE'S NOTHING WORSE THAN WATCHING A PROGRAMME ON T.V. -IN POPS AN IDEA FOR A SONG -YOU GET INTO IT AND SING ABOUT 5 VERSES IN YOUT HEAD - THEN YOU DON'T WRITE IT DOWN CAUSE YOU THINK YOU'LL STILL REMEMBER IT IN THE MORNING -- YOU WAKE UP -AND YOU CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT ITS ABOUT.

LAY OFF THE POT.

Originally posted by Demon_Of_The_Fall:

There is a cheating way to do it, type a bunch of words (hurt, pain, love, kill, goat...you know what i mean) into a thesaurus and then it comes up with lovely lyrics

So something like "unhappy" might become "soul lamenting"

its best to just write poems and then fit them around your music

good luck

*claims credit for technique*

Originally posted by Dan Atom:

it doesn't matter what the lyrics actually say as long as they rhyme - for example:

"His mighty sword that killed the baddies,

was like a putter in the hands of caddies"

would be really good lyrics cos they rhyme pretty well.

What like War Pigs?

"Generals gathered in their masses

Just like witches at black masses"

...oh....I forgot, thats just stupid.

Like ..

We only have one candle

To burn down to the handle

:D (Tony Kakko, you are my god, along with Tuomas Holopainen :p)

Sonata Arctica lyrics are really clever, it's just a shame that Tony's English is a bit dodgy at times...Nightwish lyrics are far better, but then, Tuomas is indeed some sort of deity :D (i would, anyway)

"Generals gathered in their masses

Just like witches at black masses"

theres a really bad suicidal tendencies lyric that goes:

'Most wars should never have been fought,

But this is a war that must be fought'

man that singer suuuuuucccccckkkkkssss!!!!

Thanks for the tips etc... Ok here's a situation that I'm basing a song on, the music is acoustic and doomy, folk/finger picking type thing:

A boy(ghost) is sitting on a fence watching his own funeral, some of the mourners include people who claimed to be his friends, but in actual fact weren't anything close. The fence represents the inbetween of life to death!

Originally posted by Turnham Green:

Thanks for the tips etc... Ok here's a situation that I'm basing a song on, the music is acoustic and doomy, folk/finger picking type thing:

A boy(ghost) is sitting on a fence watching his own funeral, some of the mourners include people who claimed to be his friends, but in actual fact weren't anything close. The fence represents the inbetween of life to death!

So he's looking back on thr true colours of the people that were involved in his life? Their presence at the funeral is purely for face as they were never truly friends.

Originally posted by Camie:

I was good at lyrics(with the odd exceptions) a year or so ago until i realised they were all to do with love and stopped writing lyrics. meh.

But love as a subject has kept many peoples careers going for decades, you should get back to it!