aberdeen-music

The Mitchell and Webb Look.

Old Gold

Yes. Have to agree with you there.

Not The Nine O'Clock News was brilliant for its time. It was just a pity that it didn't get any more than the two series. A Kick Up the Eighties by the same production company was a spin off' date=' wasn't it? Or am I havering and trying to remember my formative years all too hazily?

I reckon Naked Video deserves a mention as being consistently funny too and also Absolutely to the same extent.[/quote']

I'm fairly sure Not the Nine went to three series actually, 1979-82. Kick Up The Eighties wasn't a spinoff they were both BBC sketch shows and this was in the days before independent production companies but no direct connection. Who'd think of replacing Pamela Stephenson with Richard Stilgoe after all?

I think the thing about sketch shows with just two people is you are asking two people to exhaust themselves of what they can do. Neither Mitchell or Webb is known for funny voices etc, like Catherine Tate or Little Britain or something. So there's only so many different and fresh characters they can do well in 30 minutes without it being repetitive. I just think they work better within a setting like Peep Show with other characters and strong characters of their own to develop.

Guest DustyDeviada
I reckon Naked Video deserves a mention as being consistently funny too and also Absolutely to the same extent.

I did think about Naked Video, but I'm reserving judgement, having not seen it for 20 years. Maybe it's not as good as I remember. I bought my brother the DVD the other week, so I'll get a shot of it soon.

Absolutely though, yes! Stoneybridge District Council, Frank Hovis, brilliant stuff.

I watched a "Comedy Connections" thing on Not the 9' o Clock News recently, and the first series was quite different, and a flop. It had that guy Chris Langham that was recently charged with kiddie fiddling in it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DustyDeviada

I was thinking it was getting better as well. I enjoy it on the whole more than Extras.

I noticed the ratings in the Sunday Times yesterday, not far off the 3 million mark. This compares with under a million for Peep Show, which I would say is better. Just goes to show what a difference a decent time slot and putting it out after an "established" show like Extras can make.

• 11 months later...
Guest Tam o' Shantie

Just caught this for the first time last night and it's a huge steaming pile of shit. Almost every sketch involved them playing the same characters (incedentally the same ones from peep show). What's that? One of them's a bit fat/pompous/neurotic/shy and the other's down to earth/sarcastic/streetwise? Wow, where did they get that idea from? Would that also happen to be the same characters they played in those god awful online Mac ads? Yes, yes it would. As an experiment, I forced myself to laugh along in syncronisation with the canned laughter - every time an 'audience member' guffawed because the chubby one was being pompous, I too would let a chuckle out too - by the end of the show I'd done some quick calculations and found that less than 1% of my laughter was sincere.