aberdeen-music

18/07/06 Tears of grace, Ascension and Novacaine at kef!!

Firstly' date=' we were TOLD to be in Kef at 5pm on the dot for soundcheck - I had to leave work early AND drive through the rush hour with roadworks to make it... not only that we get there and find soundchecks nowhere near ready to start.[/quote']

I coulda gave you that bit of advice and told you don't bother turning up on time for kef soundchecks, they're never on time. We were waiting around like a pack of lost dogs for an hour and a half for half a song soundcheck, which i was abseloutely appalled with. Even when i said my sound was terrible they just said deal with it.

yeh we must apologise as even though we cut 2 songs we ran to 35 minutes instead of 30... when will Kef learn that 30minues aint enough for a band to play! what was the deal in having every1 out at 10?

The blown speaker during the soundchecks wasn't great - we offered to go without a soundcheck to get things moving which as it turned out meant our sound was really lacking ... so I guess that gets us off with the 5 minutes over? :)

hmmmm.........play through a blown speaker or miss soundcheck so speaker gets replaced, a difficult choice.

yeah we know... hence why we offered to miss the soundcheck!! Im just mad at the ppl moaning about us playing 5 minutes over thats all...

It was good of the guys to get the speaker fixed as quickly as they did...

true, sometimes it happens though, the only people that should moan about playing over is myself and the rest of the staff at kef, as its us and not the other bands that get shouted at. by all accounts ascension seemed to go down really well.

yeah' date=' the main point I had is that we got moaned at (not by anyone at Kef though) for playing over... even though we were told one more song would be fine!!

The crowd were really great that night! Turned out great in the end![/quote']

nice one, if we can live with it and you can deal with it then everyone else should, as long as it turns out fine and the audience go away happy, then job done.

sound checks running over time is annoying but after years of going through it you learn to accept it, book your own gigs where you are the main band that way you will always get a full sound check.

With stayover we, many a time, would play without a soundcheck, usualy worked fine for us tho, if you know your shit and how to get the sound out of your amp then usualy within a song the sound will be good enough out front. Its obviously not the best thing in the world but until you're at the point where you are big enough or important enough or even good enough (although not always :p) you will go through it almost every gig.

Better idea, get your own sound engineer that knows your band and knows what you are looking for that way sound checks will take even less time :)

ideally I'd love to be able to give some input on how the band should sound... I'm quite competent with EQ, Compression, Reverb and everything but to transfer this knowledge to setting up a live situation is something that would be really handy! Obviously with the 2 guitars dominating our sound it can be tricky to get everything right, usually a line check is fine but often we just need a soundcheck!