aberdeen-music

modern technology

buying cds and ripping them is how I do it, all the music on the walkman at whatever quality I choose, plus I can listen to the cd in my stereo or in the car or whatever...

With Itunes you still have to pay for the songs, just you can buy them per song as downloads rather than a full album

myspace has quite a lot of music available, not all of it is downloadable though, worth a look though

the other option is p2p networks, which are on the wrong side if being legal, but still seem to be going strong

David

I'd just like to point out before you go looking for sites to download mp3 files, be wary of sites such as allofmp3.com and mp3sugar.com...these sites do not pay anything to the artists or labels. They're usually based in Russia and exploit weak Russian laws which allow companies to use copyrighted music and sell it however they like. P2P isn't exactly legal but at least through this method you're not paying criminals, just use P2P to preview albums.

If you're one of those who wishs to keep music going then stick with legit methods like iTunes (and I believe napster are ok these days?) they're not fantastic but they're better than nothing. Also indie labels can use iTunes and I know many small bands who take advantage of the service. Otherwise do what onlynik suggested and rip you cd to mp3 format, iTunes is my favourite tool for this.

I'd just like to point out before you go looking for sites to download mp3 files' date=' be wary of sites such as allofmp3.com and mp3sugar.com...these sites do [i']not pay anything to the artists or labels. They're usually based in Russia and exploit weak Russian laws which allow companies to use copyrighted music and sell it however they like. P2P isn't exactly legal but at least through this method you're not paying criminals, just use P2P to preview albums.

Have you any evidence to prove that Allofmp3 is ran by criminals? I would suggest that it's a rather libellous statement to make - just because they use Russian laws to their own advantage (as Russia is well known for, see Putin for more) doesn't mean that they're criminals - if Russian law says that they can sell music for that, then it's fair play. It's fair enough to suggest that Allofmp3 might not be making huge payments to bands - but heck, neither are the record companies.

If you're one of those who wishs to keep music going then stick with legit methods like iTunes (and I believe napster are ok these days?) they're not fantastic but they're better than nothing. Also indie labels can use iTunes and I know many small bands who take advantage of the service. Otherwise do what onlynik suggested and rip you cd to mp3 format, iTunes is my favourite tool for this.

Music will keep going regardless - it might just kill off the major record labels if you don't pay the inflated sums that iTunes and the like demand.

As for using iTunes - keep away from it if you believe in open source.

And Putin isn't a criminal?

I dunno, I think Putin is simply of the typical Russian mold. He's obviously got a hangover from his KGB days as far as being hardline and centralist goes - look at the way he changed the system of regional governors from elected to appointed, for instance.

But strictly speaking, Putin isn't a criminal - he hasn't done anything that Russian leaders wouldn't have done over history. It's unrealistic to expect him to abide by Western standards of democracy in a country as vast as Russia, too. He isn't as much as reformer as Yeltsin was - but remeber, Putin could be the person that leads Russia back to its place as a world power.