aberdeen-music

Telecasters?

Old Gold

Squiers seem to have come on in leaps and bounds qualitywise in the last few years, a huge improvement on the shocking quality of cheaper guitars (in general, not just squier) of a few years ago

As always with budget guitars there are restrictions, so they won't be as of the same quality as a US Fender, but it should be a solid platform for upgrading - things like new pickups and electronics can bring a cheaper guitar to life

You should always try before you buy with cheaper guitars though, as quality does still vary a bit (especially with things like woods used there is a much bigger variation between whats acceptable so individual instruments will differ)

So for cheap money now and upgrading later one of the better squiers could do you nicely, or if you can stretch your budget a bit now, I would definately reccomend having a look at the Fender Lite ash teles (about £400, mik but play and sound excellent) or mim guitars - the base instrument should just be that bit nicer a platform

David

I think that the only way to go from here is to really try out a few choices for myself. I'm really intrigued by the Squiers though... I noticed that Gak do one with a single/humbucker setup. Having the humbucker at the neck and a single at the bridge would be ideal for stage use (seeing as I prefer my LPs neck humbucker and my strats bridge pickup).

Cheers for all the info though folks. The system works :up:

Guest DustyDeviada
Not that old chestnut again. How many guitars/amps/pedals etc have we sold and said that to the buyer.

I know! Just makes it easier to let go I suppose.

I do like the look of that yellow Squier though, (the black one in the link is cool too, but not as cool) and great for 165. I remember the good write up in guitarist, although I would say that the P-90s are likely to be less "twangy" than an ordinary tele bridge pickup.

Isn't the twangyness of the telecaster bridge pickup mostly down to the way the bridge is? i.e. the pickup is set into a large piece of metal.

I'd imagine altering the bridge to change to tone quite alot. I'd be interested to hear if you can get something like a seymour duncan hot rails fitted without having to alter the bridge...

Guest DustyDeviada
Isn't the twangyness of the telecaster bridge pickup mostly down to the way the bridge is? i.e. the pickup is set into a large piece of metal.

Yep, so I would reckon this Squier would be considerably less twangy. Damn cool though.

Guest lime ruined my life
I'm gonna tip the scales here.

I actually think some Squiers ARE worth the money.

The new Squier Standard Telecasters(not the cheap affinity ones) have a string through poplar body(i'm sure it's poplar)' date=' which has similar tonal attributes to Alder(as used in Std Mex bodies). They also have very similar bridges to the Mex made models.

The electrics are probably guff though, but if you were to upgrade the pickups, then upgrading all of that shit would be wise. No harm in it anyway.

One of my friends has a Squier Tele and it's not a bad guitar for what it is.

Also, if you really want, you could pick up and old Japanese or Korean Squier Tele. They are held in high esteem by a lot of players.[/quote']

the squire body i had was made of reconstituted wood chipping, i'd only buy one if it was for throwing around the place.

I'd imagine altering the bridge to change to tone quite alot. I'd be interested to hear if you can get something like a seymour duncan hot rails fitted without having to alter the bridge...

cimg45359wc.jpg