aberdeen-music

T In The Park 2006

Alkaline

Got back today, tired as fuck, had a great time. I watched the following:

Saturday:

Humanzi (Radio1/NME stage)- Pretty cool in a poppy punky sorta way, but ultimately a bit forgetable

Seth Lakeman (Pet Sounds Arena)- Really nice chilled out set. Great way to ease into the festival.

Xavier Rudd (Pet Sounds Arena)- Oh my god. This guy was AMAZING!!!! I'd heard one of his cd's a couple of years ago while i was in australia, but i didn't realise exactly how good he would be live. He was a one man band handling percussion, digeredoo(sp), lap steel and vocals, usually three of the above at the same time o_O

Maximo Park (Main Stage)- Well, not a massive fan to be honest (like a few of their songs) but they did put on a good live performance and they killed some time.

White Rose Movement (Futures Stage)- Nice electronica fused with a dirty indie sorta theme. Quite liked them in a retro-way, nothing i hadn't heard before though.

Giant Drag (Futures Stage)- Fucking awesome. The singer is so gorgeous and it was kinda cute when she introduced their song 'You Fuck Like My Dad'. Really great set marred by a small power outtage midway through :( I will definately be buying their album though :)

Pretty Girls Make Graves (Futures Stage)- Really, really good. I've liked PGMG for ages but i've missed them every time they've played in the UK previously, but it was well worth the wait. I love the way their sound is so ecclectic and visually they were a stunning band to watch.

Ben Harper (Pet Sounds Arena)- I'd been waiting for an oppertunity to see him for ages and he wasn't at all disappointing. Really chilled and funky set. Was slightly ruined by all the assholes smoking weed totally hotboxing the tent, but what can you do *shrugs*

Sigur Ros (Pet Sounds Arena)- AMAZING. First experiance of them live and boy was it an assault on the senses. It was truely emotional, i felt myself having to close my eyes to experiance the way it felt too. A gripping set which made me sad when their hour was over all too soon. They were so epic and a standard which every musician should aspire to.

Sunday:

Men, Women And Children (Futures Stage)- What a kick in the balls. Just the tonic you need after a shitty nights sleep. Really explosive live and their songs are great too, just a pity they weren't on later in the day :( I met the drummer and keyboardist (on seperate occasions) and they were really happy to talk and chill for a few minutes. Great guys :)

Animal Collective (Pet Sounds Arena)- Didn't stay for too long to be honest, my heart wasn't in it. While they are great on cd i thought that they were a bit drab live :(

We Are Scientists (Radio 1/NME Stage)- Great live performance, let down a little by a lack of 'quality' material. I think if they get another album out they'd be a bit better live as they were resorting to using a wee bit of 'filler' from their first album.

Dirty Pretty Things (Radio 1/NME Stage)- Good live show but pretty much just the Libertines without Pete.

Arctic Monkeys (Main Stage)- Hmmm, apart from having to watch them from affar due to the large numbers of 'neds/chavs', they sounded pretty good.

Death Cab For Cutie (Pet Sounds Arena)- I saw Death Cab earlier on this year, but i can honestly say that although that show at the Barrowlands was amazing this performance was much more beautiful by a country mile. They played all the songs i could've wanted them to and we were right at the front so i got some good photos on my mobile :) They were a fitting end to the festival for me. I don't think it could've got any better :)

Was a bit gutted that Donavan Frankenreiter pulled out and that Zero 7 couldn't make it but other than missing those two i saw every band i wanted to and had a great time :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest onlynik

Ben Harper (Pet Sounds Arena)- I'd been waiting for an oppertunity to see him for ages and he wasn't at all disappointing. Really chilled and funky set. Was slightly ruined by all the assholes smoking weed totally hotboxing the tent' date=' but what can you do *shrugs*

[/quote']

Tell them its illegal.

We were only down for a day, and saw Jose Gonzalez (Shit), Eels (Good, impressive muscle man) Feeder (Mobbed) and The Who (Brilliant)

Funniest moment hearing Weegees singing "Who are You" , or "who are Ye"

This year i caught the following acts:

Bell X1

Duels

Placebo

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS

Editors

DIRTY PRETTY THINGS

Captain

Breaks Co-op

The Crimea

Kasabian

Death Cab For Cutie

Jose Gonzalez

SOME YOUNG PEDRO

Fuck Off Machete

UNION OF KNIVES

: (

Project : VenHell

The Who

Jo Mango

The bands in capital letters were the ones i enjoyed the most. Didn't manage to watch full sets for all of these considering clashes ect. Really impressed by Union of Knives, definatley one of my highlights. Running from the NME stage to the Pet Sounds (basically the whole length of the arena) from Editors to Death Cab was interesting but Transatlantacism made it truly worth it. RHCP played a blinder, much better than i expected, Flea and John were truly amazing. Also really enjoyed a great set from Captain, much better than when i saw them in Aberdeen. Also had some banter seeing : (. Although i thought they weren't very good i made the most of it and had a good sing along ect.

Twas a good weekend, BLOODY KNACKERED.

Not sure about : ( but it was pretty much packed out when we were on' date=' which was odd/nice[/quote']

Nice one, although i didn't go and see you myself i was telling anyone i met on the friday and saturday morning to go and see you guys. Glad you got a good turn-out though :)

Nice one' date=' although i didn't go and see you myself i was telling anyone i met on the friday and saturday morning to go and see you guys. Glad you got a good turn-out though :)[/quote']

Cheers, i would actuallt reccomend anyone to enter T-Break, playing titp is actually worth it, even for all the hassles!

My t in the park highlights

Just about recovered from the weekend as i travelled back on sunday night after no sleep on the saturday, so pretty much been in bed sleeping all day

Pretty much all the bands i went to see put on a good performance so was well pleased with how the weekend went, heres who i managed to catch.

let me know what your own opinions of the bands were if you also managed to catch them.

Arctic Monkeys

Kaiser Chiefs

Delays

Futureheads

Magic Numbers

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Placebo

Franz Ferdinand

Maximo Park

Kooks

Gomez

Larrikin Love

My personal faves from the weekend were the RHCP , Futureheads , Franz and Larrikin Love who i just love.

lol' date=' what did he do to destroy it?[/quote']

Probably just what he normally does, hit the kit far too hard.

I've seen drummers wince when he gets behind the kit, he could have a similar impact (jesus thats corny) if he made better use of the kit rather than belt seven bells of shite out of it. Thats just my opinion though.

i was just there on the sunday (was doing sound for jo mango)

most of the bands i wanted to see were on when i had to work which was a shame.

enjoyed gomez. thought the who were ok but a bit dull. generally i just hate watching bands on the main stage though.

fo machete were great.

mr scruff was quite good.

regina spektor ok...think id need to know the songs better though.

quite a good day out...apart from charlotte getting food poisoning from the bloody milkshake stand though :(