aberdeen-music

What is emo?

Guest RomanChoke

Guest RomanChoke

Is it a music style or a lifestyle. All i can see up to now is that everyones suddenly gotten themselves very straight hair in a hurry. what the fuck is emo and is it stretching further than all the easily influenced people in aberdeen??

Will it be over soon?

Whats next on the sheep list to follow?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex.
Originally posted by Untitled:

that is something i found i could not do

my g/f has no idea what emo is

i tried to explain but failed

in the end i just showed her a pic of dallas :p

yet...

Originally posted by Untitled:

YOU'RE TOO EMO FOR ANAL

?(

you say you don't know what it is, but use it in a derogatory way to say you don't like something about someone...interesting

Guest neil ex
Originally posted by KarmaTsunami:

you know anti-emo threads are just as 'kewl' and 'popular' as emo kids these days...and as mundane

haha, what a load of shite. how is it?

i've not heard half of these emo bands because i don't read any of those kiddy magasines that tell you what to listen to or watch any of those petty music channels.

all i know is that emo seems to be a fashion that isn't going to be around for long and that there will be a new emo along soon with a different name.

it's just record companies making money by taking advantage of close minded kids that will express false opinions to fit in.

Emo is a falsehood. It's just what people who used to like pop-punk now listen to.

What pisses me off the most is how your suddenly being "emo" if you have black hair or wear a jumper or something equally ridiculous, I can't leave the house in a bloody jumper anymore without being questioned if I like emo by some little runt.

The whole thing is just the background music to the "scene" and i will continue to wear my "Emo Sucks" t-shirt with full pride.

Originally posted by neil ex:

haha, what a load of shite. how is it?

i've not heard half of these emo bands because i don't read any of those kiddy magasines that tell you what to listen to or watch any of those petty music channels.

all i know is that emo seems to be a fashion that isn't going to be around for long and that there will be a new emo along soon with a different name.

it's just record companies making money by taking advantage of close minded kids that will express false opinions to fit in.

for every person who says 'i like emo music', there's another, if not ten more to say 'oh..emo..what a lot of balls'.

what i want to know is why people can't be into the music they're into without having it's integrity/validity questioned by someone who obviously must know so much more than them about the music business/industry. Sure it's a bit of a cash-cow just now, and the genre is being watered down with acts that sound exactly the same as the one before, but you can't apply that to the whole genre. Take for example, nu-metal. It was what you might call the 'old' emo...you had bands like korn, limp bizkit, deftones, linkin park etc..now whilst it's a scene that has faded with korn and limp bizkit's latest output being nothing but dire the Deftones have moved on, taking the nu-metal sound and laying it to waste on newer releases that set them apart from their 'genre-buddies'.

personally, i don't like emo because i just don't like the music (with the exception of a couple of bands.. those exceptions being brand new and thursday) but for a while there was the whole "oh emo.. so cool" thing going round, which was fine, now it "emo.. oh its not cool" and people who actually like emo are using that insult. quite pathetic really.

what pisses me off more is the magazines take on bands...look at the deftones...they were the so-called kings of nu-metal and now their screamo or summit like that...i like from autumn to ashes, allergo and some glassjaw but mostly the bands all sound the same to me and im fed up hearin how "this band are a fresh take on the emo scene" and how the band says how different they are when their clearly not...everyone to their own like but its not gonna last just like nu-metal never and im sure three years ago people were sayin the thing bout nu-metal they are bout emo but im proudly uncool enough to admit i like half of the stuff in the so called nu-metal scene...just emo/metalcore/emocore/post hardcore or whatever it is called...as a whole is not for me

Guest Scott 5FD
Originally posted by Swingin' Ryan:

Emo is a falsehood. It's just what people who used to like pop-punk now listen to.

that's not entirely accurate.

i listen to a large majority pop-punk, but i have no interest in 'emo' music.

their will be people into 'emo' coz they like it, and their's gonna be people into it coz it's flavour of the week, just like anything else.

Originally posted by Scott 5FD:

that's not entirely accurate.

i listen to a large majority pop-punk, but i have no interest in 'emo' music.

their will be people into 'emo' coz they like it, and their's gonna be people into it coz it's flavour of the week, just like anything else.

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule.

My main sentiment is that Emo is just the new-rock movement (as was pop-punk and nu-metal). Not everyone who likes Nu-Metal or Pop-Punk likes Emo but I think you'll find a large percent of Emo fans have previously been big fans of those genres.