aberdeen-music

right so, what's the deal? why doesn't anyone come to valhella?

framheim

as the people's dj's we've been wondering what we can do to please you, the people. so we're launching an extensive consultation process with an aim to find out exactly why nae cunt ever turns up. what puts you off? is it just a case of forgetting? is it just cause all your friends are going to air guitar? what's the freekin deal here? does it just rock too hard for everyone?

post your thoughts here, i genuinely want to know. thanks folks.

Guest stuartmaxwell

its the price of beer that kills it for me, perhaps they should do the 1/3rd off thing for valhella

the only prob with that is they probably cant buy beer as cheap as others due to them being independent,

plus i work most saturday nights

Originally posted by daveofficer:

is it just cause all your friends are going to air guitar? what's the freekin deal here?

Sadly, yes.

They all love cock rock much too much and think Dr Drakes is only good as a live venue. Personally, I thought Valhella was the best alt clubnight I'd been to in years, but sadly I am either in Edinburgh on a Saturday night seeing my girlie or am busy working on motorcars with large engines.

Guest Scott 5FD

well, i'm gonna be in Drakes on Saturday for the TearJerk gig anyways, if Valhella is on then, i'll try and stick around. if not, i'll try be there for the next one

You can't really dance in Drakes (not as much room as Moshulu to flail wildly) and so I think that puts a lot of people off. The relative darkness of Moshulu hides their shame as well when they fall over after too much JD. :D

I'll try and hang about for a bit on Saturday after Tearjerk as I'm not going out anywhere and if suitably intoxicated I shall dance for the DJs amusement! Cannae say fairer than that!

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonT610/R201 Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

Can't say fairer than a promise to come to the next one but i'd also like to hear from people who've made a conscious decision to not come for whatever reason. We won't get mad, just want more people to come.

i don't seem to go out saturdays much of late, if so it's only for a gig and it's most likely not at moshulu. i find drakes a hard venue to 'club' at, and even harder to get people to come along to if it's not for live music. i've never been to valhella despite rory telling me about it and me being interested in the projected playlist. if only it was in my lounge or something. maybe if i could stay the night at drakes, could take a sleeping bag and a few spare beers, it'd work out.

hey, is dr drakes ever going to have a slumber party?

It's the dancing thing. That's all it is I think - spoke to a couple of people tonight and seems all it is is that Drakes doesn't have a dancing vibe to it. Moshulu offers us the space (and the dark :D) to spaz out to tunes whether inferior to what's played at Valhella or not.

Hrmmm...

Well now that I'm living at that end of Union Street (a mere stonethrow from Drakes, rather than the countryside abode) I'll probably show face if I'm not working.

I'll be requesting awful records though... mark my words.

Dance if you wanna dance! Sit on yer ass and enjoy the music if you wanna! It's open till three and free! I have considered a happy hour in the past. It's hard though, being that every fricken penny that comes through the till is accounted for about a month prior. we are unbelievably fucking independant! But do our best to please... Valehella has and will have my full support for a long time. Without question the most original alternative night in a very very very very long time. You won't get it anywhere else. WOOOOOHAAAA for Dave and Rory!!!!!!

Guest Scott 5FD

Drakes is a danceable place. i was dancing when The Real McKenzies played. admittedly, it was a gig and there was heaps of others dancing, but it's not like you can't dance there.

does anything similar to my Listening To section get played?

Originally posted by Scott 5FD:

Drakes is a danceable place. i was dancing when The Real McKenzies played. admittedly, it was a gig and there was heaps of others dancing, but it's not like you can't dance there.

does anything similar to my Listening To section get played?

you can dance in drakes, it's just people are too hung up about what other folks think to dance in a small place where folks can see them.

we play similar things but kinda less poppy. i'll give a rough run down of what we play.

kyuss, black flag, janes addiciton, electric wizard, neurosis, billy mahonie, company flow, mars volta, pig destroyer, deus, clutch, gonga, mistress, !!!, macrocosmica, fugazi, rites of spring, minor threat, eyehategod, will haven, aphex twin, darkthrone, mastadon, slint, saccharine trust, rollins band, misfits, and so on and so on. nothings set in stone, it depends on what crowd is in. that is but a fraction of the kind of stuff we play, but i've only just got up and can't remember half of it.

Originally posted by Chris:

but valhella is FREEEEEEEEEE.

so there's no risk in checking it out is there? even if you just treat it as somewhere to continue drinking where they play the rockingest music.

bloody cheek. chris, my own brother hasn't even been to valhella yet. but he will come soon, won't you?