aberdeen-music

circuit bent kids toys...

Guest MDP

I met a bender in london...steady!....

he was talking about one guy who made an entire wall out of skeletal furbies, which all had motion detection, so when you walked past the wall of them, the ones in close proximity, opened their eyes and looked at you (very unsettling!)

isn't kid carpet a bender ? or does he just use the toys "as is" ?

after spending half the night reading sites about how to do this... i created the deamon flower today... it is a flower with a smiley face in a pot, that sings dont worry be happy, and moves up and down whilst spinning.....

has 4 randomley found mod's:

1) a switch that makes it sound like it's voice is breaking (high pitched 1 second, low the next... couldnt find a way to controll it)

2) a switch that causes random glitches, jumps, and a tiny echo

3) a variable resistor that causes demonic distortion

4) a switch that causes insane long lasting echo

i really had no idea what i was doing... i just followed this tutorial:

http://www.anti-theory.com/soundart/circuitbend/cb01.html

thank god for stolen tech studies components, and my stepdads array of drills, screwdrivers, and soldering irons!!!

Ciruit bending is totally over rated....

"Hey I can make this piece of shit sound even worse!"

it's a matter of perspective surely?

and taste...or should we all only think the cool / interesting things in life are what you think are cool and interesting?

Quite often, it's not about the sound (quality), it's about the randomness, it almost becomes an art, not music....but that's another discussion.

Guest lime ruined my life
Ciruit bending is totally over rated....

"Hey I can make this piece of shit sound even worse!"

i agree' date=' it's just a method of generating sounds, it's useful for sampling, but as a method of making music i find it has almost no longevity.

The thing that annoys me the most is the quasi philosophical ideas that circuit benders usually preach and associate with electronic circuits.

Quite often, it's not about the sound (quality), it's about the randomness

circuit bending could be seen as a method of generating different textures and timbres, although the sounds avalable by one circuit without any external processing would be quite limited. i think it's a myth that one circuit can contain millions of intresting usuable sounds, from experience i find the quality of sounds to be limited and very closely related.