aberdeen-music

Gibson Les Paul

Neill

Hehe, I'm sure I meant to write he doesn't play a "Les Paul Standard" ... I was aware he played some variation but it looks a heck of a lot lighter. Anyway, he sits down all the time! :D

On a purely aesthetic level, guitars don't get much better for me than the Les Paul Black Beauty or '54 Gold Top...but the weight puts me off.

(well thats my excuse...everyone knows its really the price tag :'(

Guest DustyDeviada
PS I presume the LP sounds great through the microcube then?

Not THAT great actually - the Les Paul for me is really all about distorted tones (at least a humbucker Les Paul is' date=' and the Microcube isn't so hot on distortion. When playing electrics in the house I tend to use either my strat or my Gretsch or my 54 reissue.

But the Les Paul Standard at a gig through a nice valve amp, ooh, very nice indeed.

I was looking into importing a 57 or a 58 reissue from the states recently and it worked out roughly:

$2000

$200 for carriage

So $2200

Plus duty takes you to $2270

Then VAT takes you to around $2670

Than another 3% takes you to $2750, which according to xe.com converts to 1492.

I don't know what Bruce Miller's would charge for a Standard, but probably not much less than that.

If you've got that kind of cash to spend it might be worth firing off some emails to some of the US dealers, I bought mine from Wildwood, though Center City Music also has an excellent reputation.

For second hand models check out Mark's Guitar Loft:

[url']http://www.marksguitarloft.com/catalog.php?cat=electrics

For example this cool 1960 reissue for $2,295

1.jpg

Guest DustyDeviada
Hehe' date=' I'm sure I meant to write he doesn't play a "Les Paul Standard" ... I was aware he played some variation but it looks a heck of a lot lighter. Anyway, he sits down all the time! [/quote']

The model he plays is actually a lot heavier than today's Standards 8o

He does always sit down though. ;)

Guest DustyDeviada
I have had a bit of experience of les pauls and have noticed many have a tuning issue with the "g" string...its not a big deal but the problem exists....and I'm afraid listing everyone in the fuckin world who plays one wont make any difference' date=' I mean how many people drive fords, does that mean they are perfect...?[/quote']

No, but just because Les Pauls have a weak point behind the headstock and some may also have a problem with the G string staying in tune doesn't necessarily mean the two are connected.

Lots of blue Fords might have a duff exhaust for all I know but it's as unlilely to be linked to the colour of the car as a g string going out of tune being linked to the weak point on the neck of a Les Paul. Poorly cut nut, that simple, shouldn't happen on an expensive guitar like a Gibson, but sometimes it does and it's easy to fix.

Guest DustyDeviada
So does BB King....they are both 137yrs old though....o_O

Les had just turned 90 when I met him last year. He still managed to play two sets that night, and afterwards he sat down with a beer and signed autographs for a huge number of people.

Guest MKII
Can't believe it - this post has been running for days and Dusty has contributed to one of his favourite subjects - The Lester o_O

IMHO - great guitars' date=' but an acquired taste. I've sold both of mine and bought a high-end Strat coz the LP's just plain don't fit me. I've been playing Fenders for too long now.

Fantastic tone, but for me personally, too different from the Strat for me to enjoy.

Sometimes wish I had started with a Les Paul, but as a kid who idolised Richie & Jimi, I guess I never had a choice.....

DZL[/quote']

I wish you'd made me aware of the les paul custom being up for sale. :(

Guest DustyDeviada
Just buy a Telecaster' date=' throw in a couple of humbuckers, bing! ;)[/quote']

Actually, my 54 reissue with the P-90s sounds a lot like a Telecaster in many ways, only difference is the bridge pickup isn't as twangy.

Guest DustyDeviada
I wish you'd made me aware of the les paul custom being up for sale. :(

Yeah, didn't read diesel's first post properly, what happened?

That didn't last very long. Strange how a couple of months ago you were enthusiastic enough to buy TWO LPs but then sold them both! o_O

Well Dusty you took your time but this was pretty much exactly what I was after, a completely biased opinion!

The historic's are way, way out of my range but at that prices I'd expect them to be better otherwise....

I am seriously comtemplating a 60's neck Gold Top (yup, coz I'm not really into that 'metal'/hard rock thang. Would never have considered it if I hadn't seen Matt Sweeney's in the flesh). I did swither over the Desert Burst in Bruce Millers but somebody pipped me to the post.

Mwah ha ha ha ha

Yup that desert burst is quite lovely sitting at home just now!! along with the rest of my les pauls.

Les paul standards, Go for it, beautiful guitars. I have a few of them and some customs and a premium classic plus and an SG

real nice guitars

Yeah' date=' didn't read diesel's first post properly, what happened?

That didn't last very long. Strange how a couple of months ago you were enthusiastic enough to buy TWO LPs but then sold them both! o_O[/quote']

What's strange about it? I'm impulsive :up:

A friend of a friend visited me a few days ago, saw the Custom and decided he couldn't live without it and who was I to spoil his day?

The Custom was always going to be a buy/sell jobbie anyway as it was dirt cheap and I saw it as a means to that elusive high-end amp. I sold the Standard to a guy at my work who had an Epi and wanted the "real thing" (his words, not mine)

With regards to LP's in general - I guess the reality never matched the dream - not the first time I've acquired an item or visited a place or realised an ambition only to find out it wasn't for me.

Fookin' great guitars though - it's not Gibson's fault my body is all wrong for them :laughing:

DZL

But the Les Paul Standard at a gig through a nice valve amp' date=' ooh, very nice indeed.[/quote']

Yeah that Class 5 through that little Fender valve amp sounded sweet.

I was looking into importing a 57 or a 58 reissue from the states

... converts to 1492.

Thats a lot on trust' date=' I was thinking it was risky enough getting one through a local shop special order as if it didn't feel quite right when it arrived. Special import, ooooo.

I don't know what Bruce Miller's would charge for a Standard, but probably not much less than that.

I was quoted about 1600 last week for a gold top...

If I wanted a second hand I could go for my mates Class 5 but it's a cranberry flame top and it just doesn't float my boat...

I have 3 LP's

Status Quo - Down the dustpipe

Deep Purple - Made in Japan (Double lp)

Only jesting.

A 1980 custom in CSB - Heavy as a very heavy thing, plays lovely

A 1996 '56 Gold top RI' - lovely sounding P90's and the top is crazing nicely

A 2002 Standard Light Burst - The nicest of the lot. Great tone and not to heavy with a lovely flame top (guess I just got lucky with the weight and top)

IMO the 2002 standards were a vast inprovement over the previous standards from the late 90's etc. The whole QC thing went awol from the 80-90's with gibson. I've noticed that some 03-04 models are showing signs of the QC slipping up again.

If you want a standard try and get a 2002 (I've heard in the grapevine that these are the 59's of the future!!!)

However, also look up Robin guitars. I have one of these and the sound quailty is great as is the finish. Check out the Savoy (335's) or the Avalon (LP) You will find it hard to get that sort of guitar for the price. 1400 quid, but we are talking custom shop quality.

www.robinlovers.com

• Upvote 1

Guest DustyDeviada

I was quoted about 1600 last week for a gold top...

1600! I know the prices have gone up' date=' but that's a lot of cash. Coda have a Godtop Deluxe (mini humbuckers) for 1499 [url']http://www.coda-music.com/ but for that kind of cash I would be buying a nice Historic from the States.

Do some searches on the Les Paul forum for threads where people have done the same thing, there are a number of "forum dealers" who are very good to deal with. As I mentioned, I bought from Wildwood and they were ace.

Guest MKII

If I wanted a second hand I could go for my mates Class 5 but it's a cranberry flame top and it just doesn't float my boat...

Buy my 1995 sunburst standard for £700 ono' date=' that way you get to try before you buy. :D

I so wish you hadn't put that link up!

Guest MKII
Hey' date=' that's an interesting proposition.

Once I've finished my 'investigations' I'll PM if I'm still interested.[/quote']

Cool, if so, then I'll be buying that SG with maestro vibrola! :up:

Guest DustyDeviada

I so wish you hadn't put that link up!

I wasn't that impressed actually, can't believe how much the Gibson prices have gone up in the last couple of weeks.

They will probably come down again, they tried a massive price rise a few years ago but I guess nobody bought any as the prices started dropping pretty soon after.

Which model SG do you have your eye on?

Guest MKII

Which model SG do you have your eye on?

61 reissue with maestro vibrola, that or a 52 reissue telecaster.

But then again, you mentioning that P90's have fenderesque qualities without the twang sounds like the ideal pickups to me!

I fancy a change from the ol' les paul, had one for 10 years now.

?( ?( ?(

I wasn't that impressed actually' date=' can't believe how much the Gibson prices have gone up in the last couple of weeks.[/quote']

Aye, 250/300 or 20%!

They will probably come down again' date=' they tried a massive price rise a few years ago but I guess nobody bought any as the prices started dropping pretty soon after.[/quote']

I hope so!