aberdeen-music

Electric Guitars?

craigt2000

Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone has any good advice on a good electric guitar for playing the likes of Deftones, Tool, A Perfect Circle etc. Also something that is hopefully less than 300.

It's been a long time since I bought any new equipment, and good advice is always helpful!

Cheers in advance, C

Hey' date=' I'm just wondering if anyone has any good advice on a good electric guitar for playing the likes of Deftones, Tool, A Perfect Circle etc. Also something that is hopefully less than 300.

It's been a long time since I bought any new equipment, and good advice is always helpful!

Cheers in advance, C[/quote']

I would say something with two humbuckers myself, maybe an Ibanez or a second hand ESP.

Guest b-bert

i agree with the ibanez vote for that price. a warning though their cheap trems are not meant to be very good, a hard tail would maybe be a better idea.

aan issue though stephen carpenter plays a 7 string so you may find it impossible to play some parts.

i agree with the ibanez vote for that price. a warning though their cheap trems are not meant to be very good' date=' a hard tail would maybe be a better idea.

aan issue though stephen carpenter plays a 7 string so you may find it impossible to play some parts.[/quote']

His main guitar is a 6 string but he sometimes uses a baritone 7 string.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-Stephen-Carpenter-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=516553

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM06/Content/ESP/PR/Stef-B7.html

Would agree with that sentiment.

I've owned both and IMHO' date=' Ibanez for playability, ESP for tone.

Both are good tho'

DZL[/quote']

Yeah, i own an AR Series Ibanez (similar to the one that John 5, ex-Marilyn Manson guitarist uses) and Chris (Board Mod/FromHerAshes guitarist) has an ESP. Both sound very good and were pretty affordable.

Yeah' date=' i own an AR Series Ibanez (similar to the one that John 5, ex-Marilyn Manson guitarist uses) and Chris (Board Mod/FromHerAshes guitarist) has an ESP. Both sound very good and were pretty affordable.[/quote']

and I also own the aforementioned budget Ibanez. Which I think plays slightly better than my ESP (which does play nicely). But unfortunately it sounds like a 200 guitar so will forever be an understudy to the tone.

Sweet, cheers all. Yeah I've mainly been looking at Ibanez' with twin humbucklers.

First off, I thought the AX 32 / 42 seemed pretty sweet - although the scratchplate looks ****. Spec seemed good tho

Then I noticed the IC 200, good price, good specs, nice guitar.

And then (in the usual fashion of my budget getting larger and larger the more I look) - I came across the RG 320 FM - which just looks awesome.

Gonna have to take a walk into town to try and get a play, but any more advice on pro's/cons of these models that people are aware of, or similar models that are maybe better, would definately be appreciated.

Thanks guys, C

Guest lime ruined my life

First off' date=' I thought the AX 32 / 42 seemed pretty sweet - although the scratchplate looks ****. Spec seemed good tho

Then I noticed the IC 200, good price, good specs, nice guitar.

And then (in the usual fashion of my budget getting larger and larger the more I look) - I came across the RG 320 FM - which just looks awesome.

, C[/quote']

what is with ibanez and the really bad names???

Well, I did it - I got myself the RG 350 EX (the unchallenged standard in hard and heavy rock guitars!).

It's F*****G SWEET!!

btw R&B - I can't beleive what a rubbish service they have become. I walked into their shop with a cheque practically written for them:

I had a blast on a 370DX - after about 3 mins a little shit came over (staff) and started asking how long I would be as there was a que for the amp (it was two 14 year olds who clearly had no intention of buying). So, now that I felt like a twat on display, I unplugged the guitar and went to have a chat with the guy.

After 5 mins he had established that once I'd left the shop I'd get no support with my new £300 purchase (which had parts I am unfamiliar with) unless I payed them more money. He also said how being asked for a little extra support was something 'We haven't ever really been aked before'.

So I left, pretty disgused, and went to Bruce Millars - the guy there, was awesome. He was really friendly and chatty, told me it would be no problem to come back into the shop and spend some time being shown how to tune a floating trem, set the action etc. He left me as many guitars as I liked in alittle booth to jam away and told me just to enjoy myself.

I did, I left, I read some review on the 350EX, came back and bought it off him.

Aaah - that feels better, even tho I'm sure no-one will read this!! :D

• Upvote 1

Guest DustyDeviada

At least one member of staff from R & B posts on here regularly, so your comments may be noted.

Personally I would buy a guitar from neither.

It was Jaime - Really decent guy - think I'm gonna go in and see Billie tonight tho - there some pretty nasty pop and crackle on the volume knob and the pickup switch???? Yikes.

Other than that - what a guitar, so hot! This floating trem might make me loose my sanity soon enough tho!!

btw - I normally wouldn't have bought one from them - but they priced matched GAK - that was nearly £50 off, plus some cheap strings, and a general demo on the floating trem (as I've never used one before, slowly getting the hang of it tho).

I might block the trem, as I change tuning quite a lot, and it is a nightmare when the trem is floating.

It was Jaime - Really decent guy - think I'm gonna go in and see Billie tonight tho - there some pretty nasty pop and crackle on the volume knob and the pickup switch???? Yikes.

Other than that - what a guitar' date=' so hot! This floating trem might make me loose my sanity soon enough tho!![/quote']

Yeah Jamie (the ginger warrior) is a sound guy, always dispenses quality advice without a single ounce of bullshit.

Yup Jamie in Bruce Millers is one of the nicest guys around and R&B could never match the customer service

in fact R&B deserve to be shut down for just being a right bunch of tossers!!!

Steve was a nice guy, does he still work there?

I wouldnt even buy a set of strings from them as they are pure rip off merchants who look down there nose at everyone.

I was going to buy a JCM 800 from them once only to find they were selling it at 1249

when you can get it on the net for about 850!!

but anyway Jamie at bruce millers all the way. Spent a lot of money with them and will continue to do so as they give the best deals and advice in aberdeen

Yup Jamie in Bruce Millers is one of the nicest guys around and R&B could never match the customer service

but anyway Jamie at bruce millers all the way. Spent a lot of money with them and will continue to do so as they give the best deals and advice in aberdeen

Agreed - despite being a ging-er :laughing: , Jamie is the dogs. I've spent a klondike in there in the last couple of years and he always makes a good deal for me.

If anyone from Bruce Millers management is reading this - here's a guy who knows how to treat customers.

Billie's a nice lad as well and a hoor of a guitarist (the c**t :laughing: )

I can understand people buying off the 'Net, but unless it's a significant saving, or something I just plain can't get up here, I'd rather spend that few bob extra and boost the local economy.

The after-sales service in BM's has been very good - in my experience anyway.

Glad you like your new RG - the speed merchants tool of choice :up:

in fact R&B deserve to be shut down for just being a right bunch of tossers!!!

Steve was a nice guy' date=' does he still work there?

I wouldnt even buy a set of strings from them as they are pure rip off merchants who look down there nose at everyone.

I was going to buy a JCM 800 from them once only to find they were selling it at 1249

when you can get it on the net for about 850!!

but anyway Jamie at bruce millers all the way. Spent a lot of money with them and will continue to do so as they give the best deals and advice in aberdeen[/quote']

yep jamie is a sound bloke, there's another bloke in millers with long blond hair...i don't know his name, he's pretty good an' all....

i can't agree with your r&b comments though... i've had some craking good deals from them that could easily rival anything on the net...

i'd also have to say that r&b have a better selection, especially in the amp dept, than a lot of stores...

look down their noses...(?!) i usually find them very friendly and helpful...

steve left some time ago... i think he's in edinburgh...

you got to remember a lot (not all) of the net outfits dont have the same overheads as operating a store in aberdeen.... if you want to try a guitar off the net you are going to have to wait a few days and pay for transport.... with r&b and millers you are paying for the convenience of having a bunch of axes to try out there and then....

Quote from Dieselfeet

'I can understand people buying off the 'Net, but unless it's a significant saving, or something I just plain can't get up here, I'd rather spend that few bob extra and boost the local economy.'

That's a good point. I once got a Les Paul from R&B. It was secondhnd, and I got it for a good price. only a few percent over the going rate for the year and model (from a shop) so I went for the local guy.

However, when I was buying my DSL 50, I was quoted 20 quid more for a new one from Sound Control Dundee c/w free delivery, than R&B were asking for a secondhand one. I asked Russ if that was his best price he said "take it now and I'll knock a fiver off...whoopty-do.

I really could not see the point of buying the secondhand one for the small saving, giving that it would have cost me 15 quid to get to Aberdeen and park up for a couple of hours.