aberdeen-music

Stovies

framheim

the taybank? dougie macleans old pub

love that place

dunkeld is an ace place. we go to the birnam/royal/taybank

aye, that's the one. that explains the large amount of dougie maclean stuff all over the walls as well :)

dunkeld rules, easily one of the nicest wee places in scotland.

there was also a nice wee pub in birnam behind the big hotel. gave us free tea when we had lunch there and were generally very friendly, can't remember the name though.

Always been beef here

It will vary, as stovies seems to be one of those foods you can bung in most similar things (sausages or corned beef or whatever else) and it will come out nice, no gormet faffing about, just bung everythign in a big pan :)

Oh, and its brown sauce definately, tomato I can just about understand (though dosen't sound a match for brown sauce) but salad bloody cream? fine for salads and tatties and so on, but not stovies...

David

my mothers stovies is one of the few ive tasted that beat thains'. i dont think anything can beat good homemade food.

the stovies' pub in dunkeld is GREAT. met dougie maclean there as a few of us had a jam with the instruments he put up all along the walls to encourage sessions.

aye stovies should have proper beef that's been used for soup or that's left over from a roast. none o this corned beef rubbish.

it's not just based on one shop' date=' but on many stovies tried in lots of locations. and thains are just damned tasty. they melt in the mouth yet have good satisfying chunky bits in them of both beef and tatty. i'd like more than one oatcake with them though, but that's a minor quibble.[/quote']

thains do actually have amazing stovies that are almost but not quite like the stovies my grandma makes. however, they are the best stovies available from a shop.

sadly last time i had them after i night out, i vommed in the middle of the night but that was more to do with using cheap rose as a mixer in my sloe gin all night.

as for my stovie preference, i like my grandma's, which has mince AND lumps of steak, and chunks of tatties, but with a tiny bit of gravy wetness. either no sauce, or ketchup if i'm feeling, er, saucy. ahem.

thains do actually have amazing stovies that are almost but not quite like the stovies my grandma makes. however' date=' they are the best stovies available from a shop. [/quote']

Maybe so but they are still Satans-Squits in a box, compared to my Gran's (& no doubt many other golks Gran's) recipies - yup, in that fine old Scottish tradition, she could & did Stovie just about anything. With plenty of veg in the mix as well. Indeed, her meat-free stovies used to be an absolute favourite of many veggie friends of mine back in the day.

I must look-out her old recipie book sometime- yum! :D

I will however admit a certain failing for Thain's steak pies when I've got a bit of the munchies. And the mince & mealie pies, 50p for-6 rowies & pancakes etc. Waah, I'm hungry now! :D