aberdeen-music

SINCABEZA (fr) MOHA (nor) STACCATO SET & LE RENO AMPS...SAT JUNE 10TH

Dizzy Storm

next Arkade show...another eclectic line up!!

SINCABEZA (france)

brilliant trio from Bordeaux, who play a crazy mix of (mostly instrumental) math rock but with a jazz structure.. influenced by the likes of Don Caballero, Tortoise, Autechre, Deerhoof...i tried desperately to find some english reviews but i guess that will come after this first uk tour! i advise to just go check them out at www.myspace.com/sincabeza

MOHA (norway)

a killer pedigree duo consisting of Anders Hana; the 24 year old responsible for axe wielding in Jaga Jazzist, and the earth shaking Noxagt among others, and drummer Morton Olsen, who gets his sticks out for Ultralyd.

'imagine Lightning Bolt going back to the drawing board, reinventing themselves as a free jazz combo and playing a show with Wolf Eyes and you might have some idea of what to expect.. Moha! offer a kind of arhythmically funky heavy metal musique concrete, sourced from electric guitar, drums and a laptop, they crunch, roar, crash, burn and bleep through ten concise improvs with surgical precision. not for the fainthearted, but at high volume this is a gleeful, joyful noise worth experiencing. www.myspace.com/moha www.n-collective.com

STACCATO SET

first Arkade gig (didnt believe it myself!) for the mighty 'are they from edinburgh or aberdeen' SS...for those of you that dont know them, ive lifted this wee description straight from their myspace!! (well its gettin late ye know!!) www.myspace.com/staccatoset

'their sounds encompasses raunchy, down right dirty, blues with flashes of rock n roll, a tight punky rhythm section, obviously influenced by dance music grooves, fuzzy fender slide guitar, engaging narrative songs and captivating, soulful, Hawick-style vocals.'

LE RENO AMPS

again, probably needing no introduction...LRA have been described as everything from 'alt-country to acoustic-punk'..and have supported such diverse acts such as Sons & Daughters and Michael Marra. they were recently included in The Lists 'New Talent' pages of the '50 Best Scottish Bands of all Time' supplement and are hard at work recording their second album. www.myspace.com/lerenoamps

"Country-Punk with a smidgeon of Power-Pop. It's like the Everly Brothers teaming up with The Pixies, whilst Tom Waits and Weezer try and get a word in" Vic Galloway, 'Air' Radio Scotland.

maybe one more act tbc...

THE TUNNELS

SAT 10TH JUNE

DOORS 8PM

tbc

stacatto set were the best band of GO NORTH last night (an educated guess)

fucking HUGE

welcome back

As far as i'm concerned Ziggy's bands were the best last night & I will not call the

Strutcatto Set the Strathcathro Set anymore.

excellent night all round

Fucking blast of a gig and just what we needed as a band to be honest. Andy near ripped himself a new asshole via his thunderous basslines and Ziggy's, 'no effects' geeetar in my monitor was total dirty rawk. Fabtastic fun and a nice wee audience tiboot! Pleasing and thanks... and now can't wait for the 10th. I ain't played in Kef in a long time time but the stage sound was great and it felt like it was fairly massive out front too. NIIIIIIICE:up:

BRING ON THE KADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Guest bluesxman

I'm intrigued by Staccato Set and quite fancy seeing LRA again + a Saturday night = think I will attend and hopefully the other 2 bands will be good as well.....

Plan

I'm going to make sure that Ziggy turns his amp up to 11 again goes mintal on the geetar (Hawick Hendrix) and leaves all that popness girly stuff in his FOUND drawer. As good as it is I am biased toward our dirt!

Can't wait for this our next rehearsal, I mean gig!

A wonderful eclectic night from Arkade! :up:

LRA = Probably going to be fairly big time at some point soon.

Stracathro Services = Probably the most professional sounding outfit from aberdeen.

MoHa = Probably the most mental band you will ever hear.

Sincabeza = Amazing blend of loads of music, top quality.

Pretty much an amazing line up, shame i will be away on tour, probably getting head from groupies, but still, would have loved to have been at this show.

bit of a heads up on a slight change to the night...

unfortunately the venue has been double booked (with RFR) and since none of us want to budge, we've come to a compromise... :)

RFR will run their night from 7pm until around 9.30...therefore our night will start around 10pm. ALL bands will still be playing, a lot later in the night i know, but i will draft in some superstar djs to make this night into more of a club night...its a saturday night so what the hell!! but i will try not to have the bands running on TOO late..running order/times to follow...oh and djs to be announced! :D

bit of a heads up on a slight change to the night...

unfortunately the venue has been double booked (with RFR) and since none of us want to budge' date=' we've come to a compromise... :)

RFR will run their night from 7pm until around 9.30...therefore our night will start around 10pm. ALL bands will still be playing, a lot later in the night i know, but i will draft in some superstar djs to make this night into more of a club night...its a saturday night so what the hell!! but i will try not to have the bands running on TOO late..running order/times to follow...oh and djs to be announced! :D[/quote']

I better purchase some Pro-Plus...

Arkade Club Night! Now there's an idea...:up: 80's pop, banging DnB, etc etc (I'm not up on genre names, I'm a Dad)

:love:

• 2 weeks later...
yeah we should get the 'old skool after hours drakes drinking crew' along...andy was a hero to us lot at least!! seriously' date=' he is a great dj...

home in a few hours...and it'll be straight back to work flyering for this gig!! come back maxi!! hehehe...[/quote']

You need a new Flyer Gimp! Afterall that's all, on numerous occassions, you said Maxi was good for:laughing: ;)

Guest bluesxman

Le Reno Amps were really good but was kinda hoping they would be doing the whole band thing as I've only ever seen the 2 of them, new songs are sounding very appealing if not much of a departure from the old stuff.

Moha did nothing for me at all. Started off OK, I thought the initial riffs sounded like Earth/Sunn O)))) but just became a bit random for me.

Sincabeza were great and their CD is a very worthwhile purchase.

Staccato Set weren't what I expected at all, very good though.

All in all another bargain night of entertainment :up:

Guest Phantomsmasher

L.R.A were fairly good. Not much differant to the last time I saw them.

Moha!: Highight of the night. Although they seemed to play a shorter set from the rest of the bands, perhaps it was just my imagination.

Sincabeza: Also very, very good. Reminded me of slint in places, ace drummer.

I didn't stay for all of Staccato Set, to be honest I kind of found them to be a bit boring, but i was also knackered so might have to watch them again to make my mind up.