aberdeen-music

Thee More Shallows + RPV + The Boy Lacks Patience - Tues 4th Apr 06

chilli

interesting music are delighted to announce the completed line-up for what we believe will be a wonderful night & the return of one of their very favourite bands. Back in Europe to support their new release which will blow your socks off. Tour parnters RPV have also a new record & both bands have been getting BBC Radio 1 & BBC Radio 3 Mixing It air play. Anybody that saw them & bought product after their last visit will understand what a very special band TMS are. We are also delighted, The Boy Lacks Patience has joined the bill & we feel this threesome will delight in the best possible way:-

Thee More Shallows (Monotreme) (San Francisco)

Ral Partha Vogelbacher (Monotreme) (San Francisco)

The Boy Lacks Patience & a surprise or two

The Tunnels

Tues 4th April 2006

Doors 8pm

some reviews of TMS

TIME OUT

"The second LP from these San Franciscan collagists sees them veering off in a different direction than that plotted by their 2002 debut. Maybe it was the departure of songwriter Tadas Kisielius halfway through recording that did it, maybe not. Whatever, this is a thing of impossible beauty - sweet, fierce, fragile, funny, heavy, strangely skewed and independently-minded. It's Grandaddy, Elliott Smith, Queens of the Stone Age, Swell, the glitchy side of Sparklehorse, Ralph Vaughan Williams and Tortoise, kissed by neoclassical grace and grazed by white noise. It's goddamned gorgeous.

- Sharon O'Connell

ROCK SOUND

"San Franciscos Thee More Shallows reopen the avant-rock wound with a brooding melancholy beauty that points a finger vaguely in the direction of Sparklehorse and Yo La Tengo. Dee Keslers fragile vocal tremor provides a quiet corner to the bands sinister and chaotic sonic epicentre where strings soar like menacing mosquitoes and a myriad of other orchestral instruments abound and assault the senses. Opening track Post-Present betrays a disorientating analogue pulse before floating off into the deepest recesses of space. Cold Dis continues along the eerie vein: a lone piano seemingly tinkled in a haunted house, while Ave grave and 2AM swing to more twisted, upbeat and danceable heights. Fuelled by an excess of imagination and dizzying noise assault, More Deep Cut is a remarkable, mercurial masterpiece." (8/10)

- Amy McGill

ORGAN MAGAZINE (www.organart.com) - ALBUM OF THE WEEK

"Whoooosh, this is glowing, this is uplifting, this is an utter heartwarming treasure, this is one of the most beautiful set of songs for a long long time. More Deep Cuts is wonderful, More Deep Cuts is shiver after shiver up and down the spine - glowing mellotron flavoured beauty from San Francisco. More Deep Cuts is an album that wraps you up in its sheer soothing glowing glorious beauty - so so vibrant and unfolding and like the trees breaking out to green and the sun coming up and everything that's good about breathing. Thee More Shallows are far more than the sum of their flavours but let us just throw a few names in here and talk of Godspeed You Black Emperor and Granddaddy and Yo La Tengo, Map, Arab On Radar, Remy Zero and Mercury Rev..... Every song takes you a little step further, every new song is the best on the album until the one after it comes along. Magical strings and horns, More Deep Cuts just never stops glowing - it's delicate, it's restrained, it's beautiful, it's heartwarming (and yeah, I'm going over the top but I really couldn't care, we're talking about music here - this is why we do this, searching out the treasures that move us and excite us and invigorate us. If we can't get excited about wonderful things like this then there's no point in doing this Organ thing). Warm glowing harmonies, 'technicolour-blue vocal melodies'. Restrained Piano, French horns, glowing glowing orchestral strings, beautiful calm restrained chaos - just so so compelling (have you worked out that we quite like it yet?). One of the most beautifully rewarding albums you'll hear this year - do make the effort to find it, its special. -www.theemoreshallows.com / www.monotremerecords.com"

This is what The Organ saying about this joint tour

MONKEY vs SHARK, THEE MORE SHALLOWS vs RAL PARTHA VOGELBACHER

After all the temples and the trinkets that should never be left to wonder in their own obscurity, and hiding behind the gates with the snowballs in your hands. Washing my feet in the shower, I slipped - Monkey vs Shark is very much as expected, Monkey vs Shark is the new five track EP from San Francisco's ever wonderful Thee More Shallows. We expect the highest standards from those Shallows now - we've gone on about them at length before and we expect nothing less than to be touch stars again with every new release, they've set their standard now and we expect to feel whole again, reaffirmed and refreshed with every new encounter. We expect them to slowly caress us in to that content state of glowing warmth where every new fact just builds on the truth and we can speak in rhythms because we know. Thee More Shallows are one of those bands you just know you can put your all your faith in to, you know they won't let you down, they haven't on pervious occasions and they haven't this time with this delicious new release. It's a whisper, it certainly not a worry accompanied by a toy orchestra (like they say it is), well it certainly isn't a worry anyway. Shall we have one of those lazy short-cut lists? Shall we talk of Claud Debussy and Mercury Rev and Sea Nymphs (only that's silly, they're as unique as Sea Nymphs and they glow like that and they drag you in like that, they're not like that really, nothing like that - only they are) and how about the whimsical warmth of Mew? Or maybe Granddaddy, only far more whispered and far more clever (without ever need to show off about how clever they really are) and a little more oblique - like it really is always 2am and the stars really are always out above the glow of traffic - and they have this mellotron warmth and a whole set of Musical Boxes and they speak in riddles thinking no one really listens, angling their every word. Their every sound is warm and crafted, less is more and the focus makes them so so special, a sound that stretches out, like a waking cat, and wraps around everything with dusty analogue warmth. So Thee More Shallows have a new five track EP that just lifts you up and they're about to come back to the UK and last time was so right on that boat on the Thames, it was magical. Did we mention that slightly sinister dark edge that broods in the background? It's just a slight thing, nothing to worry about. Thee More Shallows are very very special and they've done it again.

There's more to it though, for there is also RAL PARTHA VOGELBACHER. Where Thee More Shallows really end and Ral Partha Vogelbacher start now isn't that clear, well it probably is if we really go look but it doesn't really matter right now - two bands who share lots. What do they share? Well they share a frontman called Dee Kesler who invites you in his distinctive way to consider lying on the hardwood admiring the knots, and Jason Gonzales from Thee More Shallows is here (they all may well be?). Ral Partha appear to mostly be a collaboration between Chadwick Bidwell and Dee. That warm sound again and that glow, they are different though, Ral Partha sound like they could be potentially messy artists, maybe a little more Pollock than Debussy? They might be giants. Their new album, out on Monotreme in the UK (as is the Thee More Shallows EP) is called Shrill Falcons. Yes, I think Chadwick is the leader here, yes, he clearly is, he's the founder member and you need to think San Franciscan fairy tales ballads and Silver Jews and Jad Fair and in former times on past albums (see I have gone and checked and explored now) a fascination with Russian Solders and old leaders with big military hats and they have been likened to Elliott Smith fronting Gryphon - a combination beyond imagination I know but it does kind of make sense - well kind of, if Gryphon were to get all American alternative and post-rock and slightly lo-fi instead of very very medieval English (which would never ever happen). And then there's the bits that sound like we're alone (at 2.00am again) on the deck of an ocean liner in 1911 considering all the temples blurring together and the trinkets wondering in to obscurity and empty park bandstands now falling apart because the players all got killed in the great war. Thee More Shallows and Ral Partha Vogelbacher both take us (back) to open decks of ocean liners on starry dark quiet nights where the wind gently blows and there's a needing for a coat too long in the sleeves....

We have some facts now, Chadwick is the leader, he wrote the lyrics, he sings most of them, but he tore up the usual Ral Partha template for this very personal third album and gave the lyrics to his collaborators in Thee More Shallows to sprinkle their magic dust on. This time things are far more intimate and personal, rather than what turn out to be the previous adventures with the elves and historic battles of olde that you (like I just did) discover on previous releases. Shrill Falcon is mostly concerned with the very personal emotions connected with Chadwick trying to come to terms with the death of his father. And those very personal things like those 1972 silver Dollars.

Two bands then, two now very related bands, that once again you really really do need, if you haven't already, to go find and explore. You see, this is why we feel the need to do this Organ thing. I know I go on and on, but there really is all this beautiful music waiting for you to go find, it's all out there waiting, you really have to go out and find it though, it just isn't going to come to you, you have to go find it and then share it. These kind of bands are far far more than the things the major corporations can just take and package as safe watered down product for the consumption of those who don't understand they are being short changed - you have to go and explore and bask in the warm glow of the rewards that are waiting if you find the time to make the effort. Right now Thee More Shallows are one of the main reasons (amongst many) to continue the fight to keep Organ alive and communicating. Further exploration starts via their fine UK label -

http://www.monotremerecords.com

bump...............coming this Tuesday & a glorious quote

this was included in a norman records mail out on Friday - qualified below

Phil

Thee More Shallows are probably the best band on the planet at the moment and their last album was one of the finest musical moments that the lord hath given us in time-o-recent. This new CD single only release called Monkey Vs Shark (Can we have some vinyl please Monotreme!!) is 5 new tracks including an Odd Nosdam mix. To me they're everything I wanted from Grandaddy yet more. The songwriting (as ever) is exemplary and there's more ideas here than you can shake a brown stick at. Get The albums as well cos they're both genius....

He doesn't even mention the magical cover of the Al Green cover..............

1/4 the way down

http://www.normanrecords.com/reviews.php

Guest bluesxman

Another good gig.

Boy Lacks Patience wasn't my kind of thing really.

Ral Partha Vogelbacher started off slow to me, wasn't really getting too much out of it initially until one song that started off quiet with the guitar part that reminded me of 'The End' by The Doors, then it kind of exploded and they were fantastic from there on in.

Thee More Shallows were brilliant.

Actually plumped for buying an RPV CD only to find them going for 1.99 on Amazon...*sigh*. I'm going to start taking some web enabled device to gigs so that if I like the band I can check out how much their CD's are online. I've not bought stuff at gigs and been unable to get it after, I've paid too much at gigs...it's a minefield I tell ya....