aberdeen-music

Chris T-T, Holy Folks, The Kitchen Cynics @ Drummonds, Sun9April

Kabuki Promotions and Vocoustics Presents

christt.jpg

Sunday 9th April

Cafe Drummonds

3 from 8pm

www.christt.com

Making a welcome return to Aberdeen is one of England's finest and politically wittiest

songwriters, Chris T-T - a man certainly not afraid to keep his opinions to himself.

"A national gem of a songwrtier." The Independant

With acres of beauty and careful craftsmanship, Chris delivers songs about suicide bombers, war, serial killers, life, death, money and sex which often get members of his audience riled - but its fair to say he has his political comment down to a T-T (The Sunday Times 1/1/06).

After finding himself on both the Rough Trade and Drowned in Sound Best Albums of 2005 lists, plus a Top 5 Album of the Year 2003 in The Sunday Times, things look aligned for a very good 2006.

"The joy of Flaming Lips and the humanity of Ray Davies. Time Out, Critics' Choice, 2003

"The genius of Chris T-T's songwriting is his ability to humanise even the most outlandish conceits. They seem instead like brilliant ideas that no-one else could've come up with." The Guardian

After the appearance of a self-released debut album Beatverse (1999), and so enthralled by this singular talent (MOJO), Snowstorm Records help Chris fund and release the follow-up album Panic attack at Sainsbury's in 2000. Interspersed sessions on Radio1, Xfm, 6Music, Resonance FM and the LBC, Chris slogging his guts out with tours up-and-down the country playing every indie venue and club he could find while inevitably building up a strong cult following.

In 2001, the 253 Album appeared and was the first in a trilogy of bittersweet love-letters to the city of London. The critically acclaimed London Is Sinking (2003) was part 2/3 and named Album of the Year in The Sunday Times.

"Fantastically intricate masterpieces... utterly indispensable... genius... a modern-day Blake." The Sunday Times, Album of the Year 2003

Capital-centric folk wonder funny, touching and smart NME

Two thirds of the way through the a trilogy of deeply personal London tales, and somewhere out of left field comes the overtly political 9 Red Songs, a red menace of post-Bliar acoustic folk protest music. Whether his target is Tony Blair ("Can the heart fall apart when the hard work starts, or was he born without one?"), or the Countryside Alliance ("I've never been a fan of police brutality, but when the huntsman comes a marchin', give him one for me), no one is safe from T-T's sharply honed verbal arrows!

With local anti folk support from The Kitchen Cynics and Holy Folks.

The first time I saw Chris, he had Thomas Truax supporting him, and I was worried that he might be overshadowed. However he produced a marvellous, crowd-pleasing set which resulted in a fantastic evening. I was really annoyed that I missed Chris' last gig at Drummonds...I was playing elsewhere. I'm looking forward tvery much to seeing him on the 9th.

Good night all round?

yes it was!

i hate playing after Alan because he always, ALWAYS steals the spotlight without trying!

Was a great set - love all the tunes - even the 'kill alan cynic' song

i dunno how well we went down but we sold 3 cds so its a good night for us in my eyes!

Chris T-T is an amazing performer/songwritter - love of the tunes he played for 9 Red Songs. Ive always missed him all the times he's came to Aberdeen but im glad to have been able to share a stage this time!

all and all the most fun ive had at a gig all year!