aberdeen-music

Another question about Audition/seperate files.

Hog

Check your PM's dude :up: I don't mind doing that (its my idea of fun!! :D)

Heh' date=' do you know if those SYL studio vids are still online? Was a really cool look into recording. [/quote']

Not online but I have it on Dvd. Can let you have a shot of it if ya want.:up:

I did this with a captain toms recording. If you look closely on a wave editor' date=' you will see tiny momentary blips marking the divison between tracks. These are barely audible square waves that sound like a small pop. If you zoom right in, you can cut each track to the nearest sample and get the start points exact.[/quote']

Yeh i have done this and its pretty straight forward. You should be able to see the blips and just cut it and import it in. Make sure your software is in Grid move so it aligns perfectly.

Editing Tip: When your editing any waves make sure you cut the wave at the point at which it crosses axis, this will stop any clicks appearing say for shortening a song/removing choruses for promotion or radio use.

Amazment

I am completely amazed by this thread.

For any studio, even a small demo room, to give you your files in this manner is complete incompetence at an extraordinary level. (I have to assume that what you have posted here is true.)

Just for the record, I have cut and pasted our guide-lines for exporting wav files from our website (this is from the mix service page, but the principals are the same):-

When sending files to any studio (not just ours) here are the basic ground rules so that your project can be read by any of the usual DAWs:

All files as broadcast WAV or WAV files. These are the only formats that are universal to ALL hard-disk recorders.

DVD-R only.

ISO 9660 only (i.e. NOT 9660 + Joliet or 9660 : 1999) with ISO character set Standard and file name length at Level 1. Apples and PC burn software often defaults to 9660+ Joliet, which makes the file incompatible with most dedicated hard-disk recorders, so watch out for this one!

Burn speed x 4 max.

Each song in its own folder

Each track with a very short (never more than eight characters) title. So the kick drum can be K, the toms can be T1 T2 T3 and so on, snare top and bottom can be ST and SB, bass can just be B or BG and lead guitar is then just LG. There is never any need to write the title of the song onto each track title. Some transfer software programmes and some older DAWs just dump all letters after the eighth character, so going beyond eight characters can result in information getting lost. It is important that these titles are uniform, so the bass drum should have the same title or prefix for all songs.

Check your export by opening a new project on your DAW and re-importing theWAV files. If they come up the way you want them to, then you have exported them correctly.

____________________________________________________________________-

I hope this helps someone somewhere. You certainly have a legal right to receive your files in a manner that can be read by a PC or Mac. If you have any technical problems, call me (tel no on website at www.the-byre.com ). Sorry, but I am probably too far away from you to be of any practical assistance!

I am completely amazed by this thread.

For any studio' date=' even a small demo room, to give you your files in this manner is complete incompetence at an extraordinary level. (I have to assume that what you have posted here is true.)

[/quote']

It's such a strange thing to do, because as far as I'm aware there isn't any hardware out there that would produce files like that, so it's as if they've done it intentionally, in which case, WHY?!

Has anyone else had this experience with captain toms and have any of you asked them why they are doing it, and pointed it out to them that its a pain in the arse?

Guest Gasss
as far as I'm aware there isn't any hardware out there that would produce files like that

Yes there is - the Fostex FD series digital recorders. It's the only way they can export song data (other than you rendering tracks in stereo pairs manually). It's formatted to be read by the same machine for backup, not for exporting to other DAWs.

I'm not saying it makes sense.

Yes there is - the Fostex FD series digital recorders. It's the only way they can export song data (other than you rendering tracks in stereo pairs manually). It's formatted to be read by the same machine for backup' date=' not for exporting to other DAWs.

I'm not saying it makes sense.[/quote']

But that outputs in pairs, so you should have tracks 1,3,5,7 on Left and tracks 2,4,6,8 on Right, unless they just tacked one onto the end of the other.

Explains the blip at the start of each track though, that'll be the Fostex data.

To be fair to Cpt Toms, I imagine the conversation went like this

Hog: Can I just record drums, and take the tracks home to mix on my computer?

Tom: Yes, but I'll have to give you the files in....(this is where Hog starts dreaming of Devin Townsend)......so if that's ok, no problem.

Hog: Yes, oh yes.

Haha, sort of Ian.

Firstly I would like to say that Tom and especially Paul were uber helpful regarding a lot of things.

I have a current obsession with recording/compression/effects/vst's/mastering etc.

But.... When I recieved the tracks as one file, I hit a wall.

I love layers and I have quickly learned that you have to be precisice with this (sorry im a bit pished) i.e. if 1 layer is off, it really makes a difference.

Anyway , back to what this is about.

Im sure that last time I didnt recieve the files like this.

I required- Drums, bass and a single guitar track to follow. I got this.

Its my lack of technical knowledge which is the problem.

Hog x

Guest Gasss
But that outputs in pairs' date=' so you should have tracks 1,3,5,7 on Left and tracks 2,4,6,8 on Right, unless they just tacked one onto the end of the other.

Explains the blip at the start of each track though, that'll be the Fostex data.

.[/quote']

Yes, that's what it does. I meant the alternative was rendering individual pairs as separate audio tracks so they wouldn't be joined together.

Your first stop should be with the studio to sort this out. If the project is not delivered as a series of individual WAV files for each intrument, then they should see to it that it is. Something like this is probably just a misunderstanding of some sort.

I cannot believe that any studio would intentionally supply you with all the multitrack files in this way. They either misunderstood your instructions or some simple mistake was made. Normally all projects are supplied to a customer as either WAV files of equal length or as so-called broadcast WAV files that carry a time stamp that every DAW will recognise and slot every recording automatically into the right place at the right time. It should be a one-button opperation, i.e. the import command should be all that the DAW opperator has to do.

I also very much doubt that any studio would use Fostex hardware.

If they cannot sort it out, call me as there is a very simple work around that I can talk you through.

Don't worry Hog, did it in about 20 minutes after getting the disc! Got a new disc for you, 4 folders for the 4 songs, within each you'll find a CPR file and SES file for Cubase and Audition respectively. The WAV files are in the default directory for Cubase ("Audio") but Audition should be able to dynamically find the files quick enough....

For what its worth heres how it was done...

http://www.keilan303.demon.co.uk/cubase

Special thanks to Ikaruga for pointing out the blip phenomenon!!

The other CD's I've had from Toms have been pre-cut (I did wonder what the hell the blip at the start of each track was!) I think their CD writer would have detected the silence and created new tracks however...

So if you switch off the auto track mark and record from the D160 .....