aberdeen-music

Ride - Nowhere

Time Machine

Guest bluesxman

It's a fantastic album, certainly Ride's best. Was great when they played the tour for it at The Music Hall, brilliant gig. Is it particularly underrated though? I always thought it was pretty much the most well regarded album that came out under that whole 'shoegazing' banner, certainly if you discount 'Loveless'.

Guest bluesxman
time for a 'shoegazing' revival methinks' date=' must dig out some old chapterhouse records![/quote']

Ha, I fancied upgrading my cassette copy of 'Whirlpool' to CD until I realised that it commands prices upwards of 20 quid on Amazon and E Bay. I found this quite amusing seeing as how they were one of the most derided parts of that whole thing.....it's away to be re-released anyways....

Ha' date=' I fancied upgrading my cassette copy of 'Whirlpool' to CD until I realised that it commands prices upwards of 20 quid on Amazon and E Bay. I found this quite amusing seeing as how they were one of the most derided parts of that whole thing.....it's away to be re-released anyways....[/quote']

fantastic album is 'whirlpool' yes i often got derided for liking chapterhouse and slowdive, ride were always a little more accepted (and probably to be fair the best of the three).

there seems to be a trend at the mo for re-releasing albums from the early 90's, i recently paid 20 quid on e bay for a copy of northside's 'chicken rhythms' album only to find its just been reissued for a tenner with some bonus track. still got an original factory copy in mint condition (as i keep telling meself)

Bluesxman, I agree that it'll be held to be a great record to come out of that era, but I still think it's underrated in the grand scheme of things. In terms of a completely underrated record, then I think that 'Carnival Of Light' is by far the most underrated record I own. Completely blown out of the sky by a certain Definitely Maybe in '94. Interestingly, I'd heard a lot of shite about 'Tarantula' before I bought it, but it's actually not a bad rock n roll record at all, there's a couple of great tracks on it. A bit of a 'lost' album, it was taken out of circulation not long after its release. They've all been re-issued recently. Some of the unreleased stuff on the box set is blinding, 'Something's Burning' and 'She's So Fine' are stunning. There's a great cover of the Velvet's 'New Age' too. I actually watched the 'Live At Brixton Academy' gig the other day. 'Leave Them All Behind', what a monumental set opener!!!! 8)

p.s. watch out for Mark Gardener's debut album, 'These Beautiful Ghosts'!

www.myspace.com/markgardener

Bluesxman' date=' I agree that it'll be held to be a great record to come out of that era, but I still think it's underrated in the grand scheme of things. In terms of a completely underrated record, then I think that 'Carnival Of Light' is by far the most underrated record I own. Completely blown out of the sky by a certain Definitely Maybe in '94. Interestingly, I'd heard a lot of shite about 'Tarantula' before I bought it, but it's actually not a bad rock n roll record at all, there's a couple of great tracks on it. A bit of a 'lost' album, it was taken out of circulation not long after its release. They've all been re-issued recently. Some of the unreleased stuff on the box set is blinding, 'Something's Burning' and 'She's So Fine' are stunning. There's a great cover of the Velvet's 'New Age' too. I actually watched the 'Live At Brixton Academy' gig the other day. 'Leave Them All Behind', what a monumental set opener!!!! 8)

p.s. watch out for Mark Gardener's debut album, 'These Beautiful Ghosts'!

[url']www.myspace.com/markgardener

absolutely, plus there was all the early EP tracks as well (drive blind who a certain local band named themselves after is prob my fave ride song ever). carnival of light is often forgotten about but remains a treat of a listen. i interviewed mark gardener once and he was very charming. the animal house were a great band, i was suprised they didnt have more commercial success.

the animal house were a great band' date=' i was suprised they didnt have more commercial success.[/quote']

Ah, I saw them at the wodka bar(or what ever it was called at the time) in 2000.