aberdeen-music

Strap lock problems...

...well, I don't actually have a problem with the strap lock rather than with the screw...it just comes out! it never used to happen, but is there are cure?

i was thinking if the wood on the inside is so worn out that it can't hold the screw anymore, then the situation might be a little grim, but what do YOU think?

Probably just as you said, the wood inside the hole has stripped a bit so it dosen't grip enough

the easy fix, jam in a matchstick, then screw in the screw again. the matchstick will take up some of the extra space and give the screw something to grip against. Repeat it with a few matchsticks and it should hold nicely.

If you want you could add in a few drops of wood glue or the like to make it that bit more solid.

The 'proper' way of doing it would be to drill out the hole bigger, plug it properly with a dowell then redril, but I prefer my method ;)

David

i did the matchstick thing with my jazz special, it came out mid gig and landed on the jack, wrecking the hole where the screw goes, the lead and the jack socket all in one fell swoop. if it's a decent guitar and you value it, don't fuck about with ramming stuff in the hole. it'll cost a few quid, but get it fixed right.

/x

i did the matchstick thing with my jazz special' date=' it came out mid gig and landed on the jack, wrecking the hole where the screw goes, the lead and the jack socket all in one fell swoop. if it's a decent guitar and you value it, don't fuck about with ramming stuff in the hole. it'll cost a few quid, but get it fixed right.

/x[/quote']

yes...i'll try and get hold of some epoxy glue, that sounds pretty good. thanks.