aberdeen-music

Piano/Singers in Aberdeen.

Sam 45

sorry to shit on your cornflakes but...are you trying to say that if other people like a band' date=' and i dont, i should accept that they are good? go fish

i dont need to be patronised by someone like you, i know (probably far better than you) whether a band is good at what they do or not, and i dont really judge music on my tastes (which i may add is faaar broader than yours, "awesome" is the word i believe)[/quote']

I'm saying you should maybe accept that other people might find them good and see something in them that you dont. I have no doubt that you have broader taste in music than me, but I'm not sure what that has to do with things, I dont go around slagging off bands music if I dont like it in the way you do. I tend to look at how other people rate bands to see if they're good rather than look at how I rate bands, that way I can get a view on how other people who like that genre etc like them.

im sorry but if a band isnt up to touring standard by their 1st gig they dont get a look in

i wouldnt have been employed as chief talent scout for millionaires club records if i couldnt spot potential

I've never said that you cant spot potential' date=' there were loads of very talented A&R people who turned down the Beatles, I'm saying that you are not the arbiter of all things good when it comes to music. Sometimes there are bound to be things that are good to other people that you dont like, very few people have a taste encompassing everything.

is thisconstructive enough for you...

"you are a patronising (censored) who is in no position to criticise me and the way i deal with bands/people"

You give out so much criticism and yet you cant accept any yourself. You can see it as patronising all you like, I'm just trying to put across my side of it same as you are, I've said previously, that maybe I'm wrong on this one but I'm going from my experience. More than anyone else on this site you take people disagreeing with you as some kind of personal attack, and yet more than anyone else you get personal about other people when you retaliate.

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to look at how other people rate bands to see if they're good rather than look at how I rate bands' date=' that way I can get a view on how other people who like that genre etc like them.

[/quote']

i dont sit and analyse performances like that. if i did that for every gig i went to i would have a meltdown. i go for my enjoyment of the music, not anyone elses. as said before i can rate whether a band is good at what they do and why certain people will like them

I'm saying that you are not the arbiter of all things good when it comes to music.

yes i am,. burn the witch

You give out so much criticism and yet you cant accept any yourself. You can see it as patronising all you like, I'm just trying to put across my side of it same as you are, I've said previously, that maybe I'm wrong on this one but I'm going from my experience. More than anyone else on this site you take people disagreeing with you as some kind of personal attack, and yet more than anyone else you get personal about other people when you retaliate.

im fine at accepting critiscm, most of the bands i have ever played have been shite, im used to it. but the fact is that doesnt bother me in the slightest. what does is people like you and cloud et al walking about handing out bad advice like free hot dogs.

that is all i have to say on the matter as dave milne has slapped my fingers on my most recent posts where you and cloud have been about. i suggest you and cloud get together and put all of your knowledge, contacts, experience and great ideas (esp hip hop nights!) together and do some good for this city, like sticking on some top notch shows, grooming some bands etc etc rather than coming across like know it alls on here

i dont sit and analyse performances like that. if i did that for every gig i went to i would have a meltdown. i go for my enjoyment of the music' date=' not anyone elses. as said before i can rate whether a band is good at what they do and why certain people will like them

yes i am,. burn the witch

im fine at accepting critiscm, most of the bands i have ever played have been shite, im used to it. but the fact is that doesnt bother me in the slightest. what does is people like you and cloud et al walking about handing out bad advice like free hot dogs.

that is all i have to say on the matter as dave milne has slapped my fingers on my most recent posts where you and cloud have been about. i suggest you and cloud get together and put all of your knowledge, contacts, experience and great ideas (esp hip hop nights!) together and do some good for this city, like sticking on some top notch shows, grooming some bands etc etc rather than coming across like know it alls on here[/quote']

Ditto!

Just curios about the 'actual' stage experience Cloud and Jester have had? Mr Cloud surely has years and years under his belt...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG

I wish I hadn't read this thread. I want to go and kick shins now!

Jim

Ditto!

Just curios about the 'actual' stage experience Cloud and Jester have had? Mr Cloud surely has years and years under his belt...

None, but why just pick on Cloud and I... Phillip also agreed (and he has stage experience), so far there hasnt been an actual lot of comment on what people think, just backwards and forwards debate between a couple of parties.

People asked for advice and we gave advice as it was asked for, no-one has to take it but theres no right or wrong, what works for some doesnt work for others. What works for one band/artists might not work for another otherwise everyone'd be able to follow a nice set plan and getting rich and famous. Surely if someone asks for advise you can give them advise with pro's and cons and they can decide what suits them. Playing audiences of different genre etc can work in your favour, you can pick up people, so if you feel you can take the negativity that might come from some of the audience you might be able to create crossover, again in some cases you might not know until you try. I've seen acoustic acts open for Def Leppard, acoustic acts opening for epic prog rock bands, I'm just saying sometimes there is potential for a crossover, specifically with acousticcy/piano stuff because for the most part it's innoffensive.

It can work, sometimes it doesnt but sometimes the only way to find out how to deal with that situation is to do it. As I said the only person who can decide if thewy think they can do that is the act themselves and if they dont think they can handle it then obviously there isnt any point in doing it, but if they can, and can win over some of that audience then it can be beneficial.

Cheers

Stuart

upon reading this thread there seems to be a lot of musical snobbery on these boards, def leppard arent everyone's cup of tea but they're good at what they do. this seems a pointless arguement anyway more an opportunity for members to have a dig at each other whether in good jest, for fun or otherwise. i'm going to a marillion convention next year and just bought a shakin stevens album today, does this mean i should get my coat?

I havn't seen a huge amount around Aberdeen (i think Kathryn Sawers does this and iv heard Ellie Mulhern do it) but more to the point:

One of my friends has recently recorded a demo she plays piano and sings. She is a very talented lass but doesnt realy know where to play live ect. Where are good places in Aberdeen for this style and do you think there realy is a market for it in Aberdeen?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Definately something I would like to see.

None' date=' but why just pick on Cloud and I... Phillip also agreed (and he has stage experience), so far there hasnt been an actual lot of comment on what people think, just backwards and forwards debate between a couple of parties.

People asked for advice and we gave advice as it was asked for, no-one has to take it but theres no right or wrong, what works for some doesnt work for others. What works for one band/artists might not work for another otherwise everyone'd be able to follow a nice set plan and getting rich and famous. Surely if someone asks for advise you can give them advise with pro's and cons and they can decide what suits them. Playing audiences of different genre etc can work in your favour, you can pick up people, so if you feel you can take the negativity that might come from some of the audience you might be able to create crossover, again in some cases you might not know until you try. I've seen acoustic acts open for Def Leppard, acoustic acts opening for epic prog rock bands, I'm just saying sometimes there is potential for a crossover, specifically with acousticcy/piano stuff because for the most part it's innoffensive.

It can work, sometimes it doesnt but sometimes the only way to find out how to deal with that situation is to do it. As I said the only person who can decide if thewy think they can do that is the act themselves and if they dont think they can handle it then obviously there isnt any point in doing it, but if they can, and can win over some of that audience then it can be beneficial.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Not picking on anyone and I agree with you, mostly. I have witnessed performers as good as destroyed by an audience, never pretty, but if you can't rise above it then maybe its not for you. I think we all agree here.

What has riled me and does over and over again is a certain big fluffy sky things pompous, arrogant, know it all, listen to me I'm a genius' twaddle! Cloud, if you maybe stepped off your righteous pedestal, lowered your tone and started to understand that you don't actually know a whole helluva lot yet then some of your points might actually be listened to, not for long though, but you may be laughed at less. You offer advise in a manner that can get grown men arrested for leading kids astray.

PLEASE ALL NEWCOMERS AND OLDIES ALIKE LISTEN TO and read JUST ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE'S MUSINGS AND THEN GO LOOK AT CLOUDS ADVISE FOR WHAT IT IS.

Advise is about other people Cloud! Not what you think you know!

I wrote this instead of shin kicking!

upon reading this thread there seems to be a lot of musical snobbery on these boards' date=' def leppard arent everyone's cup of tea but they're good at what they do. this seems a pointless arguement anyway more an opportunity for members to have a dig at each other whether in good jest, for fun or otherwise. i'm going to a marillion convention next year and just bought a shakin stevens album today, does this mean i should get my coat?[/quote']

YES!!!!

;)

upon reading this thread there seems to be a lot of musical snobbery on these boards' date=' def leppard arent everyone's cup of tea but they're good at what they do. this seems a pointless arguement anyway more an opportunity for members to have a dig at each other whether in good jest, for fun or otherwise. i'm going to a marillion convention next year and just bought a shakin stevens album today, does this mean i should get my coat?[/quote']

I'll get it for you. Is it this one?

p2315095v130a.jpg

(i'm going for the forum's Mr Agreeable role, by the way)

Can someone please explain to me why Jim and Maxi are getting so upset with a little guy's posts on here? I really don't understand it...the concept of taking a messageboard seriously is completely and utterly beyond any understanding I have, yet here we have two prime examples.

To be honest though, I'm starting to wonder about the mental stability of some people on here. Do people not realise that the music scene is essentially one big joke? I know quite a lot of people who realise it and just enjoy it while it's there, but some people seem to take it all so deadly seriously, to the point where they're getting angered by internet posts. It's surreal, I'm typing this in amazement that supposedly mature adults can't even debate things without things getting personal. It's utterly ridiculous...

Ah well, I guess I'll just keep on winding people up with my opinions, it's a great way to spend time when up to your eyeballs in something far more serious :)

(edited out personal attack, no need for such on here)

Can someone please explain to me why Jim and Maxi are getting so upset with a little guy's posts on here? I really don't understand it...the concept of taking a messageboard seriously is completely and utterly beyond any understanding I have' date=' yet here we have two prime examples.

Is it something to do with being failures? Dunno...answers on a postcard please :)[/quote']

Read my post again ye, properly! It's all in there...

Define failure?

Can someone please explain to me why Jim and Maxi are getting so upset with a little guy's posts on here? I really don't understand it...the concept of taking a messageboard seriously is completely and utterly beyond any understanding I have' date=' yet here we have two prime examples.

Is it something to do with being failures? Dunno...answers on a postcard please :)

To be honest though, I'm starting to wonder about the mental stability of some people on here. Do people not realise that the music scene is essentially one big joke? I know quite a lot of people who realise it and just enjoy it while it's there, but some people seem to take it all so deadly seriously, to the point where they're getting angered by internet posts. It's surreal, I'm typing this in amazement that supposedly mature adults can't even debate things without things getting personal. It's utterly ridiculous, no wonder the music scene is seen as a total joke by some outsiders.

Ah well, I guess I'll just keep on winding people up :)[/quote']

Aye do that coz your affa funny. Wheeeesht!

Most artists can spot a fake painting but will never the less wish to comment on its undermining of creative integrity.

So really, it's all about perception?

What's that quote again, the Manics used to throw it about a lot about art critics?

"Regard all art critics as useless and dangerous" or something?

This is going round in futile circles now, perhaps we should get back to the original topic?

I havn't seen a huge amount around Aberdeen (i think Kathryn Sawers does this and iv heard Ellie Mulhern do it) but more to the point:

One of my friends has recently recorded a demo she plays piano and sings. She is a very talented lass but doesnt realy know where to play live ect. Where are good places in Aberdeen for this style and do you think there realy is a market for it in Aberdeen?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ok' date=' to get things back on topic...

There is a market for it, so try contacting these people to let them hear the demo. The style that your friend plays may not suit their particular events though, but there's no harm in trying!

[url']http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/member.php?u=1543

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/member.php?u=163

Contact bands that have a more acoustic/mellow approach to music and even ask the likes of Ellie, Amber and The Sawyer sisters directly for for support slots, advice etc.

The aformentioned people are all very friendly and approachable.

Good luck!