aberdeen-music

Top Secret Tool Info :O

rune

Some folk have heard it...

26 February 2006 We get to hear the new Tool album..

Amidst the luxurious décor, the gaggles of industry lovies and the over sized PA, stood a man. Short, bald and somewhat hobbit-like in appearance, it became apparent in his introduction that this man was none other than the genius Maynard James Keenan. Appearances can be utterly deceptive.

Yet this unlikely creature revealed, like a painter unveiling a masterpiece, his latest musical illustration. This album is the most experimental, most emotive, heaviest and progressive album Tool has ever made.

Here is my theory on it:

Man over thousands of years has evolved -supposedly-to a high level of intelligence and has built a civilisation that in everyway reflects human superiority. Being a “beast” or an “animal” is the lowest form of life from which this magnificent species has transformed from.

If you look beyond mans’ egotism, see through the superficiality and delve into the twisted and protected network of the mind, the essence of primal instinct still controls the man. It spills over into society, as if such evolution had never taken place: “monkey killing monkey killing monkey killing monkey.”

Thus, man has reverted to the very “beast” he deems so beneath him.

A chronicle of disgust at humankind; this album is littered with primal rhythm, cyber-tribal effects, grooves and hypnotic riffs.

I will not try to review this album on one listen for fear that I wouldn’t do it justice. However I will say that I believe this is one for the music lover and the artist. The complexity is such that many would find this album hard to grasp. With track five aside, the collection is far from commercially accessible.

In keeping with past trends, Tool’s anonymity has remained as strong ass ever. No track names, numbers or album names were given. The release date still remains a closely guarded secret. Internet press were cancelled at the last minute for fear of it being leaked. I went unnoticed.

Ever the recluse, Maynard left as swiftly as he appeared. The rumour is that he has become so introverted that he’s travelling and staying separately from the rest of the band.

Justin Chancellor, Danny Carey and Adam Jones stayed throughout, with Justin adding a few words at the end:

“First thing, sorry we’re not the Arctic Monkeys. Second thing, yes we are going to get a new drummer, sorry about all the percussion in that!”

Catching a word towards the end, Justin said this was his proudest work to date.

This is musical history. That I can promise you.