aberdeen-music

Formula 1 2006

Lemonade

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DustyDeviada
Bumping this' date=' because I want to hear what the Button brigade are saying after the last two races......[/quote']

Good call!

Last two races? He's been pish all season.

I still believe he has a lot of potential....

With the right car under him, good race tactics and a bit of luck he can still be very quick.

I think he (and the team) needs a win just to get some confidence, I feel we have to support him, he's the best UK driver out their.

G...

Guest b-bert
he's the best UK driver out their.

i disagree.

as much as i used to hate DC, he's been doing a fine job the last couple of seasons. Getting some decent points with cars which were jaguar originally.

i disagree.

as much as i used to hate DC' date=' he's been doing a fine job the last couple of seasons. Getting some decent points with cars which were jaguar originally.[/quote']

Sorry I don't get that....?(

Button despite not scoring any points at all in the first half of last season beat DC quite comfortably and he's well ahead of him this season as well..... are you suggesting that the Jaguar/red bull car is inferior to the Honda?

Edit.. and before you answer remember that red bulls budget is the current highest in F1

Guest b-bert

i am suggesting the redbull is an inferior. budget by no means makes the best car, Toyota are living proof of that. I don't know what figures they are from but it is possible it is the combined budget for red bull and torro rosso.

the honda is clearly quicker.

i just appreciate the way DC has handle himself going from a top team to a mid pack one. Im sure his experiance is very valuable there.

I just hate the way every race they talk about button as though he will win. His only real go at winning is with lots of retirements. His luck doesnt seem to lead that way.

i am suggesting the redbull is an inferior. budget by no means makes the best car' date=' Toyota are living proof of that. I don't know what figures they are from but it is possible it is the combined budget for red bull and torro rosso.

the honda is clearly quicker.

i just appreciate the way DC has handle himself going from a top team to a mid pack one. I'm sure his experience is very valuable there.

I just hate the way every race they talk about button as though he will win. His only real go at winning is with lots of retirements. His luck doesn't seem to lead that way.[/quote']

Don't get me wrong, I have a great respect for Coultard, I don't think he ever had the killer instinct that would have made him a world champion and I sometimes have my doubts about button as well but like it or not he is our only chance of success.

As for Honda they have proved the car can be fast, but only under very specific conditions. They do not have a Grand Prix winning package, they don't have the right man for strategy and the chassis and aerodynamics are not there yet.

With the right drivers Red Bull are going to be very competitive very soon....they are poaching top staff from other teams as we speak.....their budget is huge....bigger than Ferarri !!!

Guest DustyDeviada

Of course Honda (currently) have a better/faster car than Honda, no question.

Much as it pains me to say it as a patriotic Scot, Coulthard just isn't much cop I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, it's always his name I look for first on the timesheet, but the simple fact is that he had the benefit of arguably the fastest car on the grid in 95, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02 and 03 and still only managed 13 wins and the closest he came to winning the championship in all that time was a poor second.

Would I be right in thinking that Honda started to turn sour when they became a works team and got rid of Dave Richards??? I can't quite remember if the timings coincide, but I do know that Nick Fry comes across on tv as a clueless muppet. I can't see Honda retaining his services much longer, and I'd be surprised if Honda hadn't approached Richards/ProDrive in the last month or so...

For what it's worth, I think DCs Red Bull is inferior to Button's Honda (currently). If Honda were to enter the energy drinks industry with twice the money of Red Bull, it'd still be a good few years before they caught up!

To that end, DC is doing a MEGA job (deliberate Murrayism there) with the car available.

Things might be looking up for button he came top of the testing at monza on friday, and the team is trying to push through new areodynmic parts for when they back in europe.

Though I don't like him and have been revelling in his terrible performances the past few races.

Edit:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=36331

Looks like Geoff Willis may be for the chop.

• 1 month later...
Guest b-bert

it was the best race of the season.

fair enough jenson won the race well done to the man but he is still overhyped.

kimi has only reached the 100 gps mark now and has done a lot better for himself.

kimi has only reached the 100 gps mark now and has done a lot better for himself.

Kimi's been with a front of the grid team for the past 4 and a half years, if anything i would suggest that his 9 wins is a frankly poor return.

I didn't see the race but I heard it was a case of DNF for Schumacher' date=' Raikonnen and also Alonso. [/quote']

hat shouldn't take anything away from Button's win. Schumacher was out of it when he retired. Alonso was being caught rapidly by Button when he went and Raikonnen was dropping down the field when he crashed also. Button won the race on merit at the end of the day and well done to him and to Honda.

Guest DustyDeviada

A great drive definitely from him today, but it's undoubtedly been a poor season overall from him.

One swallow does not a summer make, and he now joins a list of drivers who have won one race following inclement weather conditions.

I remember Olivier Panis winning under similar circumstances at Monaco in 96 but he hardly went on to be a world beater.

So good luck to Jenson and I sincerely hope that this is the catalyst he needs to go on and mount a serious challenge, but somehow I doubt it.

Schumacher spun out of 4th place while Button was leading.

Kimi crashed while in second and probably would have won today otherwise.

Alonso went out from second, after Button had already passed him for the lead.

"British hero Jenson Button described winning his first grand prix in Hungary as “the best feeling ever” after scything through from 14th on the grid in a race hit by heavy downpours.

The Honda ace, who has waited 113 long races for his dream to come true, hunted down world champion Fernando Alonso and stormed into the lead after a mid-race Safety Car period.

Once ahead, the 26-year-old from Frome, Somerset, made sure his driving was inch-perfect on a slippery track that could have been designed specifically for Jenson’s ultra-smooth pedal play.

“Wow, what a day, it’s been amazing,” he said afterwards.

“The conditions made the race very, very difficult for everyone but coming through from 14th and winning the race, I couldn’t have done it in a better way I think.

“I need to thank everyone – the strategy was fantastic and everyone within the team has done a great job this weekend.”

Jenson paid tribute to the Honda team which has struggled to stay on terms with Renault and Ferrari for much of this year, despite its pre-season expectations.

The low-point came in France last month when Jenson qualified 19th and was lapped before retiring.

But Button said that hard-work and perseverance had finally paid off for Honda, which scored its first victory as a manufacturer since the Italian GP of 1967 on Sunday.

“And it was nice to see that we have got a car that can win races,” said Jenson.

“The team has been working so hard and it’s taken so many years to get here, but we are finally here.

“I’ve also got to say a big thank you to everyone in the factory and everyone back in the UK for supporting me, as they have never lost faith which is the amazing thing.”

While its true that both Michael Schumacher and Alonso retired, it’s worth noting that they were both behind Button when they did so.

Jenson said that teamwork and good strategy was the key to his victory as much as the unpredictable conditions, adding that opting to short-fuel and stay on intermediate tyres during his second stop was critical to his success.

“If my voice sounds funny it is because I’ve been screaming so much,” he told the press conference.

“It was obviously fun closing down Alonso.

“We made a great choice on the tyres and also on the last pit stop, so we’ve been a real thinking team today we haven’t gone out there and just had the best car and won the race.

“We’ve thought hard about the strategy and we’ve won the race, not just through speed but because of our strategy and the way of working within Honda.”

With Alonso retired, and Schumacher, Pedro de la Rosa and Nick Heidfeld some way back, Jenson faced the ultimate nightmare for a first-time winner – the prospect of holding on to a clear lead in tricky track conditions on slicks (which he changed on to in his final stop).

But Button reckons he felt no pressure at all as he counted down the laps to a famous win.

“The last 10 laps I didn’t want the race to end,” he said.

“Normally when you are in the lead – I suppose – it goes on forever. But I was loving it.

“We turned down the revs a lot, I knew we would get to the end of the race – I had a 40 second lead and it was the best feeling knowing you are on the way home to winning your first grand prix.”

• 1 month later...