aberdeen-music

New myspace page for Aberdeen gig listings

Guest Tam o' Shantie

exactly.

and in all honesty' date=' i personally couldn't give a toss what's on at the blue lamp on a wednesday evening, because i know a> i won't go and b>they wouldn't have anything of interest for me.

the GCG is a commendable undertaking by milner and ian, and whoever else is involved but ultimately IMO it's a lot of wasted energy for a lot of people who really couldn't care less... :(

even all the people into the new school indie - probably the biggest market at the minute - aren't going to look beyond drummonds, the lemon tree and occasionally moshulu/tunnels. having EVERY venue seems a little daft.

there's no way to judge how effective the GCG is anyway, as every venue still has nights that no-one turns up, and everyone once in a while a show will be unexpectedly busy i suppose.[/quote']

It works becuase it covers every venue and genre that it possibly can, most people have fairly broad tastes.

As to how effective it is, you'd need to ask the advertisers, but I'm practically fighting them off with a stick at the moment so that sort of answers that question.

According to my server provider we had 483 visitors on Tuesday, so wasted energy it is not.

p.s. Milner isn't involved in this, he just shows his support by having our logo on his signature.

Guest five years
It works becuase it covers every venue and genre that it possibly can' date=' most people have fairly broad tastes.

As to how effective it is, you'd need to ask the advertisers, but I'm practically fighting them off with a stick at the moment so that sort of answers that question.

According to my server provider we had 483 visitors on Tuesday, so wasted energy it is not.

p.s. Milner isn't involved in this, he just shows his support by having our logo on his signature.[/quote']

in that case i take it all back. well done! i'd forgotten all about the advertisers.

(i just guessed that milner was involved due to the signature thing, my bad)

• 2 years later...
Certain venues, between them , owed the GCG circa 1000.

I'm not a charity so I stopped when any profit I'd made had been eaten up by costs.

Can't we name and shame them now?

Are people still interested in the concept of a website only granite city guide? The thing that seemed to let it down in the past was that most promoters and/or bands couldn't be bothered to put their gigs in the calendar.

i could be bothered putting up some new backend technology behind the site again if an html/javascript person could be bothered coming up with some ideas for design templates.

edit: although the calendar on a-m.com actually looks quite good and useful these days

The problem was 99% of the gigs were put up by me trawling websites and harassing promoters. That's what was taking up all my time.

I left it running for 6 months after I closed down the print version and stopped posting gigs myself to see if it would be self-sustaining as originally envisaged. A pathetic amount were posted, despite all the venues/promoters involved knowing there was 300-500 unique hits per day.

I can't be bothered helping people who can't be bothered helping themselves!