aberdeen-music

Original Asia Line-Up Reunites

jester1470

and guthrie govan... i guess the reason the original line-up is reforming because the current line up split up (which it seems included like 1 original member, this is just from skimming wikipedia 8-) ). losing the coolest guitarist on the planet must really suck, especially if the rest of the band goes with him o_O

The old lineup is reforming because the newer line-up played 2-500 capacity venues and the reformed old one plays 1500 ;)

I have to say that having watched the clip on youtube he didn't strike me as being as good as Aziz or Steve Howe :p

Cheers

Stuart

I have to say that having watched the clip on youtube he didn't strike me as being as good as Aziz or Steve Howe :p

you weren't paying attention then 8-)

how about these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoIqzXG-344&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxcTuthGi_M&mode=related&search= (this was harder to learn than vai or satriani stuff and i still can't play the insane legato passage at 1.27 properly. it's probably one of the easiest tracks on his album to play...)

But that has nothing to do with it.....just because a guitarist can widdle and wank at 100mph all day doesnt make him in any way better than the guitarist's I love.....

Its all subjective....there are people out there who belive that Noel Gallagher is a guitar god, they are not wrong, its personal taste.

how about these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoIqzXG-344&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxcTuthGi_M&mode=related&search= (this was harder to learn than vai or satriani stuff and i still can't play the insane legato passage at 1.27 properly. it's probably one of the easiest tracks on his album to play...)

Impressive playing, but shite song writing.

He's not a patch on Steve Howe.

• Upvote 1

Which is exactly what I'm saying....its subjective....because you think he's the bees knees, it doesnt make it so....

Leave people to their own opinions is what im saying.

oh come on, this is a music forum for you know, discussing music. ok i sounded slightly condescending but as hopefully suggested by the smilie, i was hardly being deadly serious. it's not like i layed into him calling a cloth eared idiot or something

Well the gig was, for anyone that cares, brilliant. They played the complete first album, a few of the hits from the second album and some songs from their past, the setlist was as follows:

Time Again

Wildest Dreams

One Step Closer

Roundabout (Yes song)

Without You

Cutting it Fine

Steve Howe Acoustic solo (never seen a rock venue so quiet...)

Fanfare for the Common Man

Intermission

The Smile has left your Eyes (acoustic)

Don't Cry (acoustic)

In the Court of the Crimson King (John Wetton was in Crimson)

Here Comes the Feeling

Video Killed the Radio Star (complete with Geoff Downes in silver coat and shades)

The Heat Goes On (with Drum Solo - well they're prog aint they :up: )

Only Time will Tell

Sole Survivor

Ride Easy

Heat of the Moment

All in all a great gig and I'm going to now have to rethink my thoughts on Portnoy being the best live drummer I've ever seen, I think Carl Palmer has got that honour now. They recorded the gig and it was available to buy after the gig and they signed them etc which was a great touch to a great evening. Asia were the band that really got me into music and I never believed I'd get the chance to see the original lineup live, I know they're not everyones idea of good music but it was great to see 4 such amazing consumate musicians.

I didnt get the chance to shake Steve Howe's hand Bodast but I did say hello and got my pic disk etc signed.

Cheers

Stuart