aberdeen-music

drum machines

Noir

An SR16 can probably be found on eBay for 50 notes....anymore and its a rip, I paid 50 for mine almost 10 years ago!

I hate the samples on it now, but its very easy to program....you build up patterns, of which you get 49 to program (I think, or maybe 99? haven't used it in ages), and two variations so 01A and 01B....then each pattern can have a fill pattern so 01Afill and 01B fill.....so you can build up quite a lot of patterns. You then arrange the patterns into songs and this can be done in either real time, triggering the variations with the fill button or punching in the pattern number that should be played next. Its easy to copy and paste patterns, which I always do to the fill patterns in case you hit the button too early it seamlessly slips into the same pattern before the pattern starts.

As for programming it, very simple. It can be done in real time to a click and can auto quantize to single notes, quarter notes, eights's etc etc....even swing variations. You can take the tempo right down if this is hard. Or you can enter the step editor and program each pattern logically, this is very simple and is great for complex patterns. Its maybe not as quick and easy as programming a 909, but thats a glamorised toy! ;)

Theres 4 outs, which is great for splitting the signal should you need (eg. i would take a stereo mix, and seperate channels for kick and snare so i could process them, and we only monitored kick and snare live). You can use change through patterns and trigger fills with foot pedals, it comes with a lot of preset patterns, you can hook it up to MIDI equipment for recording into a sequencer or using an external sound module (like the DM5), you can backup the data to tape (or WAV file I would suppose) in a spectrum 48k type way....

Its a beast!! 50 quid...go for it...best toy of my youth!