aberdeen-music

Definitive band of the 00's?

Swingin' Ryan

Guest bluesxman
The thing is' date=' the 'bedroom scene' that vide infra described is just the way things were in the 80s. I'd say it would be difficult to define the 80s in terms of an artist or a musical movement, because at the beginning of the decade there was the aftershock of punk which gave us new wave, but the main part of the eighties that I remember was dominated by hideous stadium rock aor/mor bilge and plastic SAW pop. Mainstream culture was very very depressing and counterculture didn't really shake things up until the decade was coming to an end. Obviously the bands people have pinpointed as being the defining ones of that era were great (The Smiths really were everything in the world to the fourteen year old Patrick Boo) but they didn't define the era at all, they shone in spite of the culture around them. Perhaps we'll look back at this decade in the same way...[/quote']

I was kinda thinking this decade has been similar to the 80's in that there have been many good bands around if you look for them but there has been no defining 'movement' to look back on a la grunge, britpop, etc in the 90's, or glam and punk in the 70's.

I'm really surprised no-one's mentioned Neptunes/N*E*R*D* yet. They're one of the most influential acts this decade and set the bar for high standards in pop' date=' R+B and hip hop. They certainly changed the way contemporary music sounds and they'll probably be looked upon in years to come in the same way Phil Spector was in the 60's.

[/quote']

Yeh, I thought that too. Cant underestimate the hugeness and influence of the resurgent hip hip/rap/r&b thats happened in the 00s, with the best bits mostly being associated with The Neptunes.

Also agree The White Stripes have been pretty era defining band so far in a non era defining era full of bands that mostly look backwards not forwards. Potentially Franz also.

This will forever be the decade where I stopped buying NME and Metalhammer (for promoting utter shite) and started to find some amazing bands from europe. I haven't really heard anything inspirational from any bands I've seen at any of the mainstream festivals this decade, which I feel rather sad about. Thanks to the net, it's easier to find music to your individual taste and get awa from the traditional charts and peer pressure. I think what I'm trying to say is that there won't be any 'definitive' bands of the decade, as everyone will be finding/enjoying thier own thing.

I was kinda thinking this decade has been similar to the 80's in that there have been many good bands around if you look for them but there has been no defining 'movement' to look back on a la grunge' date=' britpop, etc in the 90's, or glam and punk in the 70's.[/quote']

Completely agree with that, there's been more little musical 'movements' like when 'Nu-Metal' and 'Pop-Punk' became very popular at the start of the decade, and now there's a bit of a Post-Punk/New-Wave revival, but there hasn't been anything that's really lasted long enough to be significant.

I think a big difference between the 60's/70's and the 00's is that back then it was generally good bands who deserved to be era defining that were on the radio and headlining festivals. Nowadays the bands that really deserve to be era defining rarely make it onto mainstream radio or TV.

Completely agree with that' date=' there's been more little musical 'movements' like when 'Nu-Metal' and 'Pop-Punk' became very popular at the start of the decade, and now there's a bit of a Post-Punk/New-Wave revival, but there hasn't been anything that's really lasted long enough to be significant.

[/quote']

There can be no social or musical ''movements'' in the 00s. Its all easily labelled marketing invented for us by accountants and lazy journalists for us to consume en mass. Its all got a very short shelf life and generally lacks substance therby keeping those people in a job. ''Oh look *NAME ANY CHART ACT* are in the bargain bin....lets get marketing!''

'Nu-Metal' and 'Pop-Punk, Post-Punk/New-Wave revival are just terms to define any given months marketing strategy to the blind kids reading the brail NME. Probably. etc

EDIT: Except some forms of Hip Hop, Reggae and some electronic dance stuff which are a more real and representative sound of the nations creative underground. All Rock is dead as a creative force. Probably.