aberdeen-music

Insomnia - Help!

Mick Maverik

i sleep satarday all day, get up, go to a gig, come home sit on msn till 9am, then sleep the whole of sunday, lol, i get the odd hour a few weeknights, but im a redbull junkie, so this fits my routine perfectly :rockon:

I'm a lousy sleeper - I only seem to go into a deep sleep about two hours before I have to get up. Living with someone who goes offshore, does a few weeks nightshift then comes back and thinks its lunchtime at 2am doesnt help either. If I REALLY haven't slept for a long time (say like a fortnight on about three hours a night) and its destroying my career, friendships, life, moods etc (to say nothing of face, wrinkles, eye bags) then I find taking a Syndol tablet can help - they're for tension headaches and seem to relax you (could be the codeine). But for f*cks sake don;t be daft with them - they are a STRONG painkiller, even though they are over the counter. If one doesn't do it then dont start eating the packet. That would be very silly. Night Nurse is also good for making you drowsy. I could recommend warm baths, warm milk, deep breathing and yoga but frankly none of this has ever worked for me and I want to hit people who suggest it. I like lavender sprayed on my pillow but thats just because I like lavender. Stick on Radio 4 and listen to the Shipping Forecast - its lovely and soothing.

Pills are not the way Youth gone wild. They are a short term solution for a long term problem.

Go see the Doc if it affecting you during the day, he/she may give you sleeping tablets but only for a short period of time.

Why are doctors reluctant to prescribe sleeping tablets?

A perfect sleeping tablet would cause sleep, but have no possible problems. Unfortunately, there is no perfect sleeping tablet. Possible problems with sleeping tablets include the following.

Drowsiness the next day. You may not be safe to drive or to operate machinery.

Clumsiness, drowsiness, and confusion in the night if you have to get up. For example, you may fall over and injure yourself if you get up in the night to go to the toilet. Some people have fallen down stairs due to the drowsy effect of sleeping tablets. (Older people who take sleeping tablets have an increased risk of breaking their hip.)

Tolerance. With some tablets, if you take them each night, your body becomes used to them. This means that, in time, the usual dose has no effect. You then need a higher dose for it to work. In time, the higher dose does not work, and you need an even higher dose, and so on. It only takes between 3-14 days of continued use to become 'tolerant' to a benzodiazepine sleeping tablet (see below).

Dependence. Some people become dependent (addicted) to certain sleeping tablets. This means that withdrawal symptoms occur if the tablets are stopped suddenly. Typical withdrawal symptoms include anxiety, shaking, or just feeling awful.

Go from A-Z listing band names as much times as you can, you eventually get bored and nod off!! A modern twist on counting sheep!!! Your probably anxious or some shit!! Pills are definatly not the way to go, an easy way out of something that'll probably pass!! If it doesnt then your probably a vampire! Either way its cooll!!!

Guest tv tanned

a policeman came to my door last night and said there had been reports of me staying up all night playing my playstation when I should have gone to bed.

Apparently I was resisting a rest...

I've suffered from insomnia since i was 15, so for ten years now. Mine is stress induced. It tends to come in waves for me, sometimes i'll be ok and get maybe 5 or 6 hours sleep a night, others it'll be more like 2 or 3. I hate to say it but i've never found anything to combat it and thats in 10 years of looking. I refuse to take sleeping tablets because in the end that doesn't help.

I have tried pretty much every recommended technique: relaxation, excercise etc i even find myself going out for late night walks in the hope it'll tire me out.

:down: