aberdeen-music

Just got my Jackson back fitted with EMG's...

Dan G

81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck....sounds Saweeeet!

So if anyone wants to get shit like that done to their guitar, go to Neil at Prosound (holburn st) as he has done a fine job on mine.

Oh yeah, I got a setup, 2 EMG's fitted, trem bridge blocked up, and new strings fitted - ALL for 198.00. WHAT A DEAL!

Originally posted by Leckie Gilman:

hmmmmmmmmm. i'm not a fan of active pick ups.

can't be assed with the battery.

Is that the 9V battery that lasts about 4 years for most people....? The one that takes about 4 small Phillips screws to get access to and change....? I guarantee that you'll be taking apart any FX pedals you have to fit new batteries more than you would be for a set of pickups.

nothing if you do it yourself though most people aren't up for that. You'd have to ask someone who repairs guitars I guess. The easiest option is the clip in the back beside all the control pots, that's what my ibanez has. The batteries last for AGES! I have had my bass for two years and I have only changed the battery twice and that was a just incase rather than I acctually needed to.

A simple metal retaining clip that scews into the wood in your control space is best, that way you can return the guitar to passive pickups or suchlike and only be left with a small screw hole inside the cavity. Changing the battery this way isn't that much more inconvinient than having a battery box built into the guitar. A set of good screwdrivers should be part of every guitarist's gig kit.

Originally posted by Leckie Gilman:

well yeah if i was gonna out on of these pick-ups in any of my guitars it would be my strat. and theres no where really to put it cept if theres a cavity under the scratch plate of course.

is there?

Uhhh, yes :)

You've never taken it off and looked inside?!

EMG do an entire pickup kit for Strats, a la Quirk Hammett, where you get two single coil actives (neck and middle) and an EMG-81 humbucker in the bridge. It all comes with a replacement scratchplate with the holes for the pickups, and you get all the tone/volumes and switches pre-wired with EMG's quick-connect system, meaning no soldering needed (other than to remove the original stuff). If you get bored of it (!) or decide to return your Strat to stock, you just have to unplug the EMG parts and solder in the old pickups again with the original scratchplate.

Spanky!